Author Topic: Safety and security - some miscellaneous tips  (Read 13012 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Safety and security - some miscellaneous tips
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:50 AM »
Fencing for privacy and safety is expensive. Anyone have any ideas what to plant along the edges of the property to provide a temporary barrier?
Type of hedge? fast growing, cheap?
- Yowbarb

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 01:38:44 PM »
I don't know how quickly cacti grow but it would be a great deterrent!

errrv

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 04:59:32 PM »
Blackberry & wild rose. Thorns tear you up, chiggers, poisonous spiders, & copperheads infest them. Man always takes the easy route, so put obstacles to direct him away from your property & onto someone elses.
Erv

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »
I agree Erv...and Red Raspberry bushes!!  Those things grow really fast, and are pretty nasty to try to get through if planted too close together.  And they're great eating too!  Excellent for jams and jellies as well.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 08:08:08 AM »
I had thouht of having tall fences with shards of glass imbedded in the top so when someone jumps up to try to climb over...surprise!

Survival101

• Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 09:27:45 AM »

Pyracantha for a 'thorny' security, has edible berries for jelly, jams or sauces (do not eat the seeds (cyanide), Black Locust Trees also, 'thorny', good wood source for posts, many
sources claim that it is toxic if eaten...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »
I don't know how quickly cacti grow but it would be a great deterrent!

Some of them grow really fast - I will look up which ones grow fast but not completely take over... ;)
In another kind of climate, there is bamboo. Again some bamboo you can grow in a row, some drop seeds which sprout up all ove creating a bamboo forest and it's hard to cut!
will be looking for more info...
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
Here is one source of info, Mr. Smarty Plants, site link is below, Yowbarb
Will have to post images next post in a little while.
More lata.
4:36 PM EDT
http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=7855

Thursday - March 15, 2012
Region: Southwest

Someone asked this question of Mr. Smarty plants:
QUESTION:
I'm looking to put in some plants to create a privacy fence against one side of my property. I'd like a mix of plants that grow well together in order to create a diverse look. I need something evergreen, fairly fast growing, native, and that is not going to irritate my allergies. I have small dogs and young children, so I can't have anything poisonous either. Any suggestions for my area?

Portion of his answer:
Now, here are some plants that I found in the Houston Native Plant Guide that meet most of your criteria:

Lonicera sempervirens (Coral honeysuckle) is a native evergreen vine with red blossoms that attract butterflies and hummingbirds.   It is not listed on any of the above poisonous plant databases.  PollenLibrary.com lists it as a mild allergen. http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=lose

Bignonia capreolata (Crossvine) is a semi-evergreen vine also attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies.  It is not listed as toxic or as an allergen.
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=bica

Polystichum acrostichoides (Christmas fern) is an evergreen fern that grows in the Houston area.  It is listed as non-toxic to dogs on the ASPCA list and not listed on any of the other above poisonous plant databases or in the PollenLibrary.com database.  It needs shade or partial shade to grow, as well as moist soil.
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=poac4

Morella cerifera (Wax myrtle) is an evergreen shrub that grow into a small tree.  It is not listed on any of the above poisonous plant databases, but is listed by PollenLibrary.com as a mild allergen.
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=moce2

Cyrilla racemiflora (Swamp titi) is semi-evergreen in the Houston area and is not found on any of the poisonous plant databases above or in the PollenLibrary.com database.  It will eventually grow into a small tree and, as its common name suggests, will grow in wet places.
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=cyra

Sabal minor (Dwarf palmetto) is a small evergreen palm that is not on any of the poisonous plant databases but is listed as a mild allergen in the PollenLibrary.com database.
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=sami8

Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii (Turk's cap or turkscap) is a perennial that, although not evergreen, will retain some of its green leaves in mild winters.  It's not on any of the poisonous databases or in the in the PollenLibrary.com database.
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=maard

You can also check our Texas—South Recommended page for more options.

http://www.wildflower.org/collections/collection.php?collection=TX_south

Yowbarb Note next post, images.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:36:33 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 11:35:26 PM »
Blackberry & wild rose. Thorns tear you up, chiggers, poisonous spiders, & copperheads infest them. Man always takes the easy route, so put obstacles to direct him away from your property & onto someone elses.
Erv

Sounds like a plan!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 10:12:20 AM »
Owning a dog is the best robbery prevention and security asset out there. Its been proven over and over again that burglars are much more fearful of a dog's bark than a security system's alarm. It'll take a while for cops to get to the location when the alarm goes off but it only takes seconds for the dog lol. Plus the police have to go by rules for physical contact whereas with dogs you dunno what they're gonna do to the bad guy....

Dogs are the best thing to have for so many reasons, and you can add this one to the list!

Dogs are a great idea. No doubt.
I do definitely feel safer with a big dog around. Our "Jaws" was the best part wolf, we figured out later. Amazing how gentle he was with our family and the little ones.
We were definitely a pack to him.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »
Owning a dog is the best robbery prevention and security asset out there. Its been proven over and over again that burglars are much more fearful of a dog's bark than a security system's alarm. It'll take a while for cops to get to the location when the alarm goes off but it only takes seconds for the dog lol. Plus the police have to go by rules for physical contact whereas with dogs you dunno what they're gonna do to the bad guy....

Dogs are the best thing to have for so many reasons, and you can add this one to the list!

I do have to say, though: Any serious perpetrator could easily take a dog out with a gun and a silencer. I recommend having a back up plan such as the car key alarm idea -or several ideas.
Some sort of weapon needs to be in every room at the ready. I like Lori's baseball bat idea. When i was alone with five kiddos I had long bamboo sticks in each room. The kids were instructed if there was ever an intruder use the big sticks to discourage them and keep them farther away from them. Every little bit helps.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 07:46:34 AM »
Especially now, and for the coming years, people always have to have some sort of self defense with them at all times, on their person, in their glovebox, in the back seat in the house. Be careful, be armed with something...
A little thing like pepper spray can make a big difference in a person's life... Do something.
I remember I always reminded my son to keep a metal stick in his car. He needed it one night when several gang members approached his car and he was putting gas in his car. That stick definitely helped.
Later when he was totally unarmed in a halloween costume, he was chased by gang members, knifed...had to climb a tall, barbed wire fence... he was lucky to escape with his life.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:34:48 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member