Author Topic: Trenches: design, location, etc.  (Read 3397 times)

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Trenches: design, location, etc.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 10:00:09 AM »
maximum speeds that winds can go,

Speed of sound.  Varies with temperature.
"In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the speed of sound is 343 metres per second (1,125 ft/s; 1,235 km/h; 767 mph; 667 kn), or a kilometre in 2.91 s or a mile in 4.69 s."  from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

Earth's atmosphere is zooming around at about 1000kph;

At the equator.  Zero at the poles.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: megagales and megaquakes
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 10:29:56 AM »
Now, the Earth is supposedly spinning around in space [not the Flat Earth point of view, which i respect] so what is actually keeping it in place? Could it be this galaxy that is also spinning and has a 26,000-year rotation? This galaxy that also has a north and south pole?
What i'm trying to say is that even though the Earth [flat or spherical, doesn't matter] is massive, there's still nothing stopping it from flipping around on it's head; there is no friction from space and what's really keeping the Earth electrically/magnetically in place anyway? But if it were to physically move, it is not one big massive marble in space, for earth, wind and water would all react differently to a disruption of Earth's momentum; the crust would move immediately, water would react more sluggishly and the atmosphere would just lag behind. But relative to the Earth's crust the atmosphere would react just like it would if it were the atmosphere that's moving (and not the Earth herself).
Does the moon move? No. We move; but it appears the stars are moving. In the end it's really the same thing but reality and perception tend to fool us. Similarly, we could be moving and the atmosphere is 'standing still', but whatever our preception, the reality of the matter is that it would be as if the atmosphere is whooshing by at the speed of sound or something.
The only things coming back from that are animals that make it in caves that don't collapse and seeds... ready to start the 13,000-year cycle all over again.

Roof over some bedrock with some sturdy metal beams protected by a layer of concrete and dirt (to absorb radiation from space) and you have yourself a makeshift cave. Those beams better be embedded into the bedrock well, though.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
what's really keeping the Earth electrically/magnetically in place anyway?

The magnetic, electric, and gravity fields of it's environment in space.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: Earth's position in space
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 11:02:13 PM »
indeed: "environment"; solar system [Sol]? Galaxy? Universe?
Astronomy never did add up and independent [!] research by folks like Paul LaViolette has a lot of people reexamining the environment we're all up against.
Some folks suggest we're entering a part of the galaxy that will effect Earth negatively, others point to regular galactic superwaves and yet others speak of crossing the galactic plane (that would supposedly cause our solar system to change polarity...).

And in space, i.e in a vacuum environment, how much does distance really matter? I mean, we think of the galactic center as far away but in relation to light years and vacuum, is it all really that far away?
And if you're going there... what about other galaxies and how they impact our own?

The environment of space is really something we're all really just coming to define; by no means is it a given.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 12:41:09 PM »
Adding a link for a FEMA analysis of best roofing practices for hurricane-proofing. 
https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/20130726-1644-20490-8474/757_apd_7_metalroof.pdf

We needed a new roof this past February, and opted for commercial grade metal that was substantially less expensive than an architectural standing seam roof, while being stronger due to having more ribs.  The FEMA literature advises that exposed fasteners (screws) are stronger than the fashionable hidden clips, and the commercial roof came with those.  For pennies more apiece, galvanized screws with color-matched snap-on water-proof covers were added.  The roofer followed the FEMA spec of adding an additional row of screws at crucial locations, and did not charge extra to do so as the they were very quick to install while he was already up there.  The final bill came in well under $5,000 in spite of our precarious 12:12 pitch and the extra screw detailing as well as lath-work over our conserved old roof, which was quite a bargain compared with the bids that we had received from other area roofers.

The following Monday after the work was completed, we received a loud, hard blow to the roof that shook the entire house, but we never discovered what hit us.  The roof held firm without a dent.  I corresponded with a scientist from AMS about the possibility of a meteor hit, but we never found the remains of anything.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 02:54:40 PM »
R.R. Book, wow! We will try to determine if any reports of meteorites in your area; meteor sightings.
There may be meteorite fragments somewhere on your land.
I am so glad your roof held up against the hit!
A former administrator on here, Lori in GA had a meteorite crash through her roof, fortunately off to the side where it didn't do any harm... I think she said it went in and out the roof and they never found the thing...  :o
- Barb T.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
PS If  safe enough to do, get a look at the roof for scrapes, dents...
should be some sign...

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 06:37:23 PM »
Hi Barb,

I'm pretty sure the sound of the impact came from around the upstairs bathroom part of the roof.  However, it's too steep to climb up on being an A-frame, and I can't tell much from a visual inspection standing on the ground.  I wonder both in Lori's case and in ours if it's possible that the object might have disintegrated.  Otherwise, any remains should have been visible somewhere in our compost heap, which is where anything hitting over the 2nd floor bathroom should have rolled down to in the yard, unless it bounced elsewhere.

Anyway, if that single object rattled us so hard, I'm not looking forward to "transiting the tail" when the time comes... :(

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: Trenches & roofs
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
ya can roof a trench or a house... big difference.
A trench is protected by it's environment, being lower than surrounding areas; a house, obviously, will be in the way of flying debris.
Also, i imagine trenches in hills, i.e. surrouding hills that will also protect from things falling from the sky (unless they're coming down vertically, which they rarely do).
survival database