Author Topic: Smoke From the King Fire in CA  (Read 2370 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • “Chance favors the prepared mind."—Louis Pasteur
    • Your Own World USA
Smoke From the King Fire in CA
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:31:36 PM »
The King fire in CA is 5% contained and it's really awful here in Reno. The sky is dirty all day but the nights from about 7PM on are miserable.  The air cools and the smoke goes lower to the ground.  There is the acrid creosote smell, my eyes burn a lot and it gives me miserable headaches.   A sample of times to come.

Marshall

http://www.ktvn.com/story/26546678/smoke-from-king-fire-expected-to-stay-in-area-through-weekend-1

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Smoke From the King Fire in CA
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:10:11 PM »
The King fire in CA is 5% contained and it's really awful here in Reno. The sky is dirty all day but the nights from about 7PM on are miserable.  The air cools and the smoke goes lower to the ground.  There is the acrid creosote smell, my eyes burn a lot and it gives me miserable headaches.   A sample of times to come.

Marshall

http://www.ktvn.com/story/26546678/smoke-from-king-fire-expected-to-stay-in-area-through-weekend-1

That is really awful. I wonder what could be done to get the smoke away from a person's face and lungs...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:07:16 PM »
For smaller amounts of smoke, they say to hold a wet cloth over the face, making sure to cover the mouth and nose while breathing.  Not sure how helpful that would be for something that large that is issuing smoke and soot 24/7.

admin

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
    • Your Own World USA
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
That's a good tip. Right now we still have a bit of smoke but it seems the winds have moved most of it to another part of Reno.  Dumb luck for them.  A blessing for me.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:15:46 PM »
That's a good tip. Right now we still have a bit of smoke but it seems the winds have moved most of it to another part of Reno.  Dumb luck for them.  A blessing for me.

Marshall, I am so glad you are getting some reilef from the smoke and may it stay far far away.
I like ilinda's tip on the wet cloth.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 08:56:54 PM »
Another stray thought here. 

Since the wet cloth works in some situations, I would wonder what a wet towel placed over an air intake for the a/c would do.  In the setup I'm looking at here, the "furnace filter" in the winter is also the "a/c filter" in summer, and the rectangular box that holds it all is indoors.  When the furnace is running I notice the suction is quite strong and a towel could be taped at the top or held in place by a couple of heavy books.  The towel could be wet to start and periodically a person could spray or mist the towel to keep it moist.  Not sure if this would help, but suppose the moisture might help trap more stuff. 

OTOH, a wet towel might be too restraining and might cause the a/c or furnace to labor too hard.  Another thought is that I don't recall the same suction during the summer, so maybe that part is different when a/c is running.  I'm certainly no furnace/ a/c expert!

Anyway just another 2 cents...

admin

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
    • Your Own World USA
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »
Covering the AC is not a good idea. But a wet cloth works. Lots of neighbors are doing it.