Author Topic: Essential Oils  (Read 971 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Essential Oils
« on: January 13, 2015, 05:11:48 PM »
Decades ago, one fellow in my Upline in a multilevel nutritional company mentioned essential oils. He really wanted to let me know the essential oils were really important, but I didn't have a nickel to put toward (yet another nutritional substance) and I was on the way out the door with my Michael.  Not long after that, I moved away...
I did appreciate him trying to inform me about the oils, but we just didn't connect on it.

It is only recently I am learning some things which should have been part of my data banks all this time. I mean I knew about essential oils (yada yada) but I had no idea the purity and strength and healing power of some products.

Only recently found out that in olden days  the essential oils were pure and could be consumed in water, wine, under the tongue, etc.
Some products are still that way...
Contact Marshall if questions on Essential Oils...
All The Best,
Barb Townsend

http://blogs.getty.edu/iris/files/2012/05/aryballoi.jpg

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:08:20 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Essential Oils
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:23:44 PM »
Ancient Egypt

Ruth

• Global Moderator
  • Trusted Member
MERS and Essential Oils
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »
2015 MERS and Essential Oils

What is MERS?
Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) is a viral respiratory illness caused by a coronavirus — the same family of viruses that causes the common cold — called MERS-CoV. MERS-CoV was first reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012. Since then, it's been reported in other countries in the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and the United States. Most cases outside of the Middle East have been reported by people who recently traveled there.

What are the symptoms of MERS?
MERS-CoV primarily causes fever, cough and shortness of breath. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Pneumonia is common, and sometimes it may cause injury to organs, such as the kidneys.

What is the treatment for MERS?
Treatment for MERS-CoV is directed at relieving symptoms and includes rest, fluids, pain relievers and oxygen therapy in severe cases.

What is the survival rate for MERS?
About 30 percent of people with MERS-CoV have died. You're most at risk of serious illness if you're an older adult or if you have a weakened immune system or a chronic disease, such as diabetes or lung disease.

Prevention & Protection from MERS
Unlike influenza or the common cold, MERS-CoV doesn't seem to spread readily among people in communities. Instead, MERS-CoV has spread mostly among people who are in close contact, such as people living with or providing direct care for an infected person.
There's currently no vaccine to prevent MERS-CoV. However, as with any virus, you can reduce your risk of infection by using good health and hygiene practices:
•   Vigorously wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
•   Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw used tissues in the trash immediately, and then wash your hands carefully.
•   Disinfect frequently touched surfaces, such as doorknobs.
•   Avoid touching your face, mouth and nose with unwashed hands.
Don't share cups, utensils or other items with sick people.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sars/expert-answers/what-is-mers-cov/faq-20094747

How Effectiveness of Essential Oils Against Infectious Diseases are Tested
It is important to remember that the anti microbial action of essential oils over laps from one oil to another. Two oils may each be most effective against a different  microbe, but both also effective over one or more other ones. One way this is studied (primarily in France it seems) is through aromatograms. These are petri dish agar fields with a central area anointed with a single essential oil. The agar field is inoculated with various microbes which are then allowed to grow for a period of time. The dishes are then observed for the amount of microbial growth, and the extent of inhibition, or not, by the essential oil.

One company Florihana publishes the technical data of each oil it sells including the aromatograms. At this link is a sample page for Ravintsara organic essential oil.  This is an essential oil with anti microbial qualities somewhat related to camphor. No other company seems to have such information as readily available. However one might get an idea of effectiveness in considering a high quality oil from another company in comparison to Florihana.  In the US, Florihana essential oils are sold by Tropical Traditions, an outstanding company selling organic and grass fed meat as well as a wide range of other organic foods.  The website is available to the public so any essential oil profile is easily accessed for reference.

The individual bottles of Florihana essential oils are sold enclosed in small metal canisters to keep the oils in the dark. Again they should be kept in a closed container that will keep them in the dark, and then kept in the refrigerator.
http://www.florihana.com/en/essential-oils/ravintsara-organic.html#.VXjY4OsfyGs

Making Effective Essential Oil Blends
The conclusion from essential oil research and use is that a blend of essential oils would have broader application than a single one, no matter how good it is.  Having several blends of different essential oils would be even better.  One popular blend called the Thieves’ Oil is widely sold by many companies. However it contains Lemon essential oil.

The problem with citrus oils

Citrus essential oils sold today are primarily cold pressed, NOT steam distilled. So they have a short shelf life of only a few months with ideal storage conditions. Preservation with an antioxidant, and storage in a refrigerator, with the bottles inside a tightly closed container to keep out light is the best assurance for maximum shelf life. 

With the wide variety of essential oils available today, the family survival medical kit should have several bottles each of a different blend.
Blends with citrus oils should be good for up to 3 months, but are not a good choice for long term survival storage.  A good blend would include:
1) a strong central oil like oregano, marjoram, rosemary verbenone, basil.
2)  a spice oil such as cinnamon, black pepper, cloves.
3) a member of the melaleuca family,
4)  and the eucalyptus family.
5) Finally include a resin base oil such as frankincense serrata, fir balsam, cedarwood, pine, balsam, cypress, camphor. 

Though aroma is nice, it’s not the focus in these formulas. Consider carefully how to dilute the blends if needed, to use them on skin. The safest dose, 1% dilution is 10 drops of the blend or any single essential oil, for 1 oz of the diluting oil like coconut, almond, non GMO canola. 

The ideal ways to use any of the blends:
1)   put 1 to 3 drops on a face mask or scarf to wear around the face. Renew that every hour or so if wearing it constantly.
2)   put a drop or two on the collar of undershirt for children or inside the shirt or blouse lapel. The volatile oil will be close enough to the nose to provide therapeutic action for awhile.
3)   Inhale directly from the bottle for a full 5 minutes, or put a drop or two onto a tissue or cotton makeup pad, and inhale from that. It takes 5 minutes of inhalation for the active particles to trigger the T cells in the immune system.
4)   Avoid making large amounts of blend. A 5ml bottle (1 teaspoon) is ideal. The best bottles to use are those with a Euro cap, which is a special insert that allows dispensing of one drop at a time.

Source for 5ml bottles, and small pump spray bottles: Specialty Bottle Co.
http://www.specialtybottle.com

5ml Amber bottle, European Dropper cap  Btle Black or white Cap   $0.44 each. No quantity requirement.

Plastic Transfer Pipettes 3ml, Gradulated, Pack of 100, $6.10 at Amazon.com

Transferring essential oils from a bottle of a single oil to the blend bottle requires a transfer pipette. The 5ml bottles once filled are then capped with the Euro dropper insert which plugs the bottle. Then the cap is twisted on as tight as possible which sets the lock. It is then tamper proof until ready to open.

To purchase doTerra essential oils either in single oils or their ready made blends go to the link:
http://yowusa.com/survival-wellness-advocacy/survival-wellness-links/

The sandalwood and frankincense are like none other, exceptional for raising spiritual vibrations.

Essential Oil Books
2 very helpful books on essential oil usage are:
1) 2nd Edition Essential Oil Safety by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young, ($95  from Amazon)
2) and Surviving When Modern Medicine Fails: A definitive guide to essential oils that could save your life during a crisis Paperback – July 2, 2014 Dr. Scott Johnson MD Amazon about $14. His book is updated and includes the safety recommendations in book #1, so unless deep research is needed, Dr. Johnson's book is more than adequate for most essential oil use.