Author Topic: Passings Away in 2015 and 2016  (Read 7345 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Passings Away in 2015 and 2016
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »
http://fansided.com/2016/04/21/minnesota-vikings-twins-react-prince-dead/

The Twins also paid tribute to Prince by turning an empty Target Field purple — fittingly in the rain.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2016, 12:49:16 PM »
When Prince died it was like a huge chunk of my high school days left me.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2016, 10:26:39 PM »
When Prince died it was like a huge chunk of my high school days left me.

I hear that....
it really affected one of my daughters like that to. We all shed some tears...
It seemed so senseless how he died...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2016, 10:47:09 PM »
I was just thinking about Muhammed Ali the other day then early today found out he had passed away. I saw him once and we made eye contact and each gave a slight smile. He was at a booth at a Peace Rally at Rancho Park (Los Angeles) in the 1960s. 1967, I think...
I was so pleased to see him but didn't want to run bug him for an autograph. He seemed very serene and pleased with the gathering...I will post more tomorrow...this is one article and some images.
- Yowbarb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali

Muhammad Ali (/ɑːˈliː/;[5] born Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr., January 17, 1942 – June 3, 2016)
http://mynewsla.com/sports/2016/06/04/boxings-greatest-muhammad-ali-mourned-in-southland/

Boxing’s greatest Muhammad Ali mourned; thousands expected at Walk of Fame star

Posted by Chris Jennewein on June 4, 2016 in Sports

Thousands of people are expected to visit the Hollywood Walk of Fame star of former heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali Saturday, one day after his death in a Phoenix hospital at the age of 74.

Ali received the star in 2002 for live theater in recognition of his famous flair and poetry that boosted the popularity of boxing. The star was unveiled in connection with a CBS special honoring Ali’s 60th birthday.

Of the 2,582 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Ali’s is the only one above ground. It is on an exterior wall of the Hollywood & Highland complex.

“I don’t want my name on the ground, (and) people walkin’ on my name,” Ali said at his Walk of Fame ceremony.

Flowers were placed near the star today, where people are lining up to have their pictures taken.

Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable President Earl Ofari Hutchinson paid tribute to Ali’s role as a social justice fighter at the star today, where he urged Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti to declare a Muhammad Ali Day in Los Angeles.

Garcetti earlier today released a statement on Ali’s death.

“Muhammad Ali gave us incredible skill as a fighter, an incomparable gift for words, and a peerless legacy as a sports and cultural icon. He also modeled the extraordinary power of self-determination — inspiring millions to treasure their humanity, claim their dignity, and give all they have to the global causes of peace, justice, and equality,” Garcetti said. “It was my great privilege to honor him when I was City Council president. And his daughter, Maryum, shared his values with us during her years in the Mayor’s Office of Gang Reduction & Youth Development. Los Angeles mourns today with the entire Ali family.”     Tonight, members of the local American Muslim community will pay tribute to Ali with a special prayer and candlelight vigil at 5 p.m. at the Bilal Islamic Center at 4016 South Central Ave. in Los Angeles, a mosque that Ali helped to build. The public is invited to attend.

The former champion’s family said today that Ali died from septic shock. The family also announced that his public funeral would be held Friday in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky.

Ali first came to prominence in 1960 when he won a gold medal at the Rome Olympics, fighting under his birth name, Cassius Clay.

“As Olympians, our role is to inspire others to achieve their dreams, and no person has ever lived that role more than Muhammad Ali,” said four-time gold medal-winning swimmer Janet Evans, the vice chair and director of athlete relations of LA 2024, the group seeking to bring the 2024 Olympics to Los Angeles.

Evans called passing the Olympic torch to Ali to light the cauldron at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics “the defining moment of my career and a memory I will treasure forever, as much as any of the medals I won.”

Ali turned professional in 1960. The 13th fight of his professional career that saw him win the world heavyweight championship three times was at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena, a fourth-round technical knockout of George Logan April 23, 1962.

Ali fought three more times in the Los Angeles area, the final time on Sept. 10, 1973, when he won a 12-round split decision over Ken Norton at the Forum, avenging the second defeat of his professional career.     Ali lived in Los Angeles during parts of the 1970s and 1980s.

“We have lost a legend who proved the human spirit knows no bounds,” Mayor Eric Garcetti wrote on Twitter. “Muhammad Ali you will never be forgotten.”

Ali first won the heavyweight championship on Feb. 25, 1964, when the heavily favored Sonny Liston did not answer the bell to start the seventh round at the Miami Beach Convention Center.

After the fight, he dropped what he called his “slave name” becoming Muhammad Ali and disclosing he became a member of the Nation of Islam.

Ali angered many Americans in 1967 by refusing induction into the U.S. Army, citing his religious beliefs. His boxing license was suspended, he was stripped of his title and convicted of draft evasion. The Supreme Court overturned the conviction in 1971.

Ali regained the title in 1974 with an eighth-round knockout of the previously undefeated and favored George Foreman in a bout in Zaire known as the “Rumble in the Jungle.”

After losing the title to Leon Spinks on a split decision in 1978, he regained it later that year when he defeated Spinks on a unanimous decision.

“Muhammad Ali was truly the greatest — an athlete who transcended sports to become a global icon,” Evans said. “He inspired me and millions of others around the world, to be the best version of ourselves.”

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2016, 01:36:42 PM »
I was just thinking about Muhammed Ali the other day then early today found out he had passed away. I saw him once and we made eye contact and each gave a slight smile. He was at a booth at a Peace Rally at Rancho Park (Los Angeles) in the 1960s. 1967, I think...
I was so pleased to see him but didn't want to run bug him for an autograph. He seemed very serene and pleased with the gathering...I will post more tomorrow...this is one article and some images.
- Yowbarb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali

Muhammad Ali (/ɑːˈliː/;[5] born Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr., January 17, 1942 – June 3, 2016)
http://mynewsla.com/sports/2016/06/04/boxings-greatest-muhammad-ali-mourned-in-southland/

Boxing’s greatest Muhammad Ali mourned; thousands expected at Walk of Fame star

Posted by Chris Jennewein on June 4, 2016 in Sports

Thousands of people are expected to visit the Hollywood Walk of Fame star of former heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali Saturday, one day after his death in a Phoenix hospital at the age of 74.

Ali received the star in 2002 for live theater in recognition of his famous flair and poetry that boosted the popularity of boxing. The star was unveiled in connection with a CBS special honoring Ali’s 60th birthday.

Of the 2,582 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Ali’s is the only one above ground. It is on an exterior wall of the Hollywood & Highland complex.

“I don’t want my name on the ground, (and) people walkin’ on my name,” Ali said at his Walk of Fame ceremony.

Flowers were placed near the star today, where people are lining up to have their pictures taken.

Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable President Earl Ofari Hutchinson paid tribute to Ali’s role as a social justice fighter at the star today, where he urged Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti to declare a Muhammad Ali Day in Los Angeles.

Garcetti earlier today released a statement on Ali’s death.

“Muhammad Ali gave us incredible skill as a fighter, an incomparable gift for words, and a peerless legacy as a sports and cultural icon. He also modeled the extraordinary power of self-determination — inspiring millions to treasure their humanity, claim their dignity, and give all they have to the global causes of peace, justice, and equality,” Garcetti said. “It was my great privilege to honor him when I was City Council president. And his daughter, Maryum, shared his values with us during her years in the Mayor’s Office of Gang Reduction & Youth Development. Los Angeles mourns today with the entire Ali family.”     Tonight, members of the local American Muslim community will pay tribute to Ali with a special prayer and candlelight vigil at 5 p.m. at the Bilal Islamic Center at 4016 South Central Ave. in Los Angeles, a mosque that Ali helped to build. The public is invited to attend.

The former champion’s family said today that Ali died from septic shock. The family also announced that his public funeral would be held Friday in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky.

Ali first came to prominence in 1960 when he won a gold medal at the Rome Olympics, fighting under his birth name, Cassius Clay.

“As Olympians, our role is to inspire others to achieve their dreams, and no person has ever lived that role more than Muhammad Ali,” said four-time gold medal-winning swimmer Janet Evans, the vice chair and director of athlete relations of LA 2024, the group seeking to bring the 2024 Olympics to Los Angeles.

Evans called passing the Olympic torch to Ali to light the cauldron at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics “the defining moment of my career and a memory I will treasure forever, as much as any of the medals I won.”

Ali turned professional in 1960. The 13th fight of his professional career that saw him win the world heavyweight championship three times was at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena, a fourth-round technical knockout of George Logan April 23, 1962.

Ali fought three more times in the Los Angeles area, the final time on Sept. 10, 1973, when he won a 12-round split decision over Ken Norton at the Forum, avenging the second defeat of his professional career.     Ali lived in Los Angeles during parts of the 1970s and 1980s.

“We have lost a legend who proved the human spirit knows no bounds,” Mayor Eric Garcetti wrote on Twitter. “Muhammad Ali you will never be forgotten.”

Ali first won the heavyweight championship on Feb. 25, 1964, when the heavily favored Sonny Liston did not answer the bell to start the seventh round at the Miami Beach Convention Center.

After the fight, he dropped what he called his “slave name” becoming Muhammad Ali and disclosing he became a member of the Nation of Islam.

Ali angered many Americans in 1967 by refusing induction into the U.S. Army, citing his religious beliefs. His boxing license was suspended, he was stripped of his title and convicted of draft evasion. The Supreme Court overturned the conviction in 1971.

Ali regained the title in 1974 with an eighth-round knockout of the previously undefeated and favored George Foreman in a bout in Zaire known as the “Rumble in the Jungle.”

After losing the title to Leon Spinks on a split decision in 1978, he regained it later that year when he defeated Spinks on a unanimous decision.

“Muhammad Ali was truly the greatest — an athlete who transcended sports to become a global icon,” Evans said. “He inspired me and millions of others around the world, to be the best version of ourselves.”
Thanks for posting this, Barb, as I wasn't aware he had died.  I have always remembered his stance during the Viet Nam era of preferring peace to war. 

And on a more humorour note, I remember a hilarious TV commercial he did for some roach pesticide whose name I cannot recall.  In that commercial, he looked the viewers in the eye and proclaimed, "I 'on't want you to live with no roaches!"   (If you did not see the commercial, you have to imagine slurring the first two words, "I don't", together into "I 'on"t".)  It might not seem funny reading the text, but I laugh every time I think of it.

And on a lighter note, we remember his, "...float like a butterfly and sting like a bee", which is how he described his actions in the ring.  He will be missed.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2016, 10:59:27 PM »
ilinda, yes that is amusing.
He definitely had a sense of humor and had more humility and beauty of spirit than one would thing, seeing his bravado an fierceness as a competitor. I will never forget seeing him when we directly looked at one another. He was pretty serene, pretty Zen, best way I could describe it. I think it was because it was a peace rally. I hadn't thought about it at the time but he might have already been in trouble at the time for his stand on the draft...He must have taken some comfort seeing the thousands of people at the rally for peace

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2016, 08:59:32 AM »
Yowbarb Note -This made me sad...read this late last night.
This seemed so sad and tragic. Young Anton Yelchin passed away at age 27 yesterday, in a freak accident. I hadn't even committed his name to memory, I just knew I enjoyed seeing him in Star Trek.

Then I was also shocked and saddened to find out The same young actor who played the Russian crew member Chekov in Star Trek also played the young boy in Hearts in Atlantis with Sir Anthony Hopkins. Sir Anthony Hopkins was his mentor and they were friends.
One of my favorite movies...  Full movie: Hearts In Atlantis https://youtu.be/zVFUj67ugc0

A couple of excerpts below. He had an extensive filmography, acting in his first two movies in 2001 as a young boy. He will appear posthumously in the new Star Trek coming out this year. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Yelchin   

Personal life

Yelchin was born March 11, 1989, in Leningrad, Soviet Union (now Saint Petersburg, Russia).[2] His parents, Irina Korina and Viktor Yelchin, were pair figure skaters who were celebrities as stars of the Leningrad Ice Ballet for 15 years.[3][4] His family is Jewish; in the USSR, they were subjected to religious and political oppression.[3][5][6] Yelchin had said: "My grandparents suffered in ways I can’t even begin to understand under Stalin."[6] Nationally, Yelchin's parents were the third-ranked pair team; they thus qualified for the 1972 Winter Olympics, but were not permitted to participate by the Soviet authorities[3][4] (Yelchin had said the reason was unclear: "I don't exactly know what that was – because they were Jewish or because the KGB didn't want them to travel").[7]

Yelchin's family moved to the United States in September 1989, when Anton was six months old, after receiving refugee status from the United States Department of State.[3][4] Yelchin's mother worked as a figure skating choreographer and his father as a figure skating coach, having been Sasha Cohen's first trainer.[8][9] Yelchin's uncle is the children's author and painter Eugene Yelchin

Anton Viktorovich Yelchin (Russian: Анто́н Ви́кторович Ельчи́н; March 11, 1989 – June 19, 2016) was an American film and television actor, known for portraying Pavel Chekov in the Star Trek reboot series, and for several other prominent roles.

He began performing in the late 1990s, appearing in several television roles and the Hollywood films Along Came a Spider and Hearts in Atlantis (both 2001). His role as Jacob Clarke in the Steven Spielberg miniseries Taken was significant in furthering his career as a child actor.[1] He later appeared on the television series Huff and starred in the films Terminator Salvation (2009), Charlie Bartlett (2007), Fright Night (2011), Like Crazy (2011) and Only Lovers Left Alive (2013). He appears in Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013), and will appear posthumously in Star Trek Beyond (2016).
[Continued ] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Yelchin 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a2/9f/de/a29fde3f5fb130e785e22d9f85839f21.jpg  Sir Anthony Hopkins and Anton Yelchin in Hearts in Atlantis
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:36:14 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2016, 09:35:18 PM »
Update: The likely cause of the deadly accident which killed young actor Anton Yelchin was a confusing gearshift design in his SUV. That SUV is on a recall. Details below.
...The 2014 and 2015 models of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, manufactured between July 16, 2012 and Dec. 22, 2015, were recalled by the company after the NHTSA issued a report stating that the vehicles' gearshift design made it difficult to tell what gear the vehicle is in.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/anton-yelchins-cause-of-death-officially-ruled-accidental-blunt-traumatic-asphyxia-coroner-says/ar-AAhp984?ocid=spartanntp

"Feds probe if "Star Trek" actor's death tied to Jeep recall" will play after this ad - 00:12

© Provided by TIME Inc.  Anton Yelchin's death has officially been ruled an accident.

The Star Trek actor died of accidental "blunt traumatic asphyxia," Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter of the Los Angeles County coroner's office confirms to PEOPLE.

Yelchin's body was found Sunday pinned between his car and the gate of his home in Studio City, California, after the 27-year-old's vehicle rolled backward down the steep driveway, a Los Angeles Police Department spokesperson tells PEOPLE.

The spokesperson says the car was a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee – the same model that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles recalled in April after the vehicle was investigated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for its gearshift design.

"We are looking into that," the LAPD spokesperson says. "The investigation is still ongoing and the traffic detectives will look at all of those factors as they would in any traffic collision investigation. So, at this time we're not sure what caused it, but that's something investigators are looking at."

The 2014 and 2015 models of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, manufactured between July 16, 2012 and Dec. 22, 2015, were recalled by the company after the NHTSA issued a report stating that the vehicles' gearshift design made it difficult to tell what gear the vehicle is in.

The police investigation into the circumstances of Yelchin's death is ongoing, and toxicology tests are expected to be available in 6-8 weeks

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »
Yowbarb Note: I don't see the names of the US servicemen, yet.

3 hours ago:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-37871836

Jordan shooting: Three US military trainers killed at al-Jafr air base

Three US military trainers have been shot dead in an exchange of fire at an air base in Jordan, a US official says.
One was killed at the base and two others died later in hospital.
They were in vehicles approaching the gate of a military training centre at al-Jafr air base when they came under small-arms fire, the official added.
An earlier statement from the Jordanian military said the car they were in failed to stop at the gate and was fired upon by security forces.
"A total of three US service members died today in the incident in Jordan," the official said.
"Initial reports were that one was killed, two injured. The two injured service members were transported to a hospital in Amman, where they died."
The Pentagon and the White House said they would work with Jordan to determine exactly what had happened.
White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the US personnel were part of an "ongoing" training mission.
"The United States is interested in getting to the bottom of what occurred," he said.
AFP news agency quoted a US defence official as saying it was a "green on blue" incident, a military term for when friendly forces attack US personnel.
"But we can't say for the moment if it was a deliberate" act to kill US personnel or "some kind of misunderstanding," the official told the news agency.

The incident happened around midday local time (10:00 GMT).
Jordan is a close ally of the US and a member of the US-led coalition fighting the so-called Islamic State (IS) group in Syria and Iraq.
US forces have trained a small group of Syrian rebels in Jordan as well as Iraqi and Palestinian security forces.
Last November, a Jordanian police captain opened fire at a police training centre near the capital Amman, killing two Americans, a South African and two Jordanians.
The Jordanian government subsequently said the police captain had been a troubled individual but security sources said he was an IS supporter.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 09:43:50 PM »
John Glenn has passed away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Glenn#U.S._Senate

John Herschel Glenn Jr. (July 18, 1921 – December 8, 2016) was an American aviator, engineer, astronaut, and United States Senator from Ohio. In 1962 he became the first American to orbit the Earth, circling three times. Before joining NASA, he was a distinguished fighter pilot in both World War II and Korea, with five Distinguished Flying Crosses and eighteen clusters.
He was one of the "Mercury Seven" group of military test pilots selected in 1959 by NASA to become America's first astronauts. On February 20, 1962, Glenn flew the Friendship 7 mission and became the first American to orbit the Earth and the fifth person in space. Glenn received the Congressional Space Medal of Honor in 1978, and was inducted into the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame in 1990. Glenn was the last surviving member of the Mercury Seven after the death of Scott Carpenter.
Glenn resigned from NASA in 1964 and announced plans to run for a U.S. Senate seat from Ohio. A member of the Democratic Party, he first won election to the Senate in 1974 where he served through January 3, 1999.
He retired from the Marine Corps in 1965, after twenty-three years in the military, with over fifteen medals and awards, including the NASA Distinguished Service Medal and the Congressional Space Medal of Honor. In 1998, while still a sitting senator, he became the oldest person to fly in space, and the only one to fly in both the Mercury and Space Shuttle programs as crew member of the Discovery space shuttle. He was also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2012.
[Continues see this page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Glenn#U.S._Senate  ]

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2016, 10:13:42 PM »
Some of you may remember Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Greg Lake has passed from cancer.
This first song is really lovely...

EMERSON,LAKE AND PALMER-From the Beginning(SUBTITULADA)  5:23

https://youtu.be/47S-lRwoK7c
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Lucky Man

https://youtu.be/89g1P_J40JA
Dec 07

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Lake#Death

Greg Lake, 69, English singer and musician (King Crimson, Emerson, Lake & Palmer), cancer

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2016, 10:26:39 PM »
Video:

A Tribute to Those Who Passed Away in 2016

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/tribute-passed-2016-44461557

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »
Yowbarb Note: This is probably not all of them, not all major celebrities who passed away in 2016.

The pic is Alan Rickman, one of my all time favorite actors...
I especially remember him from Diehard, Sense and Sensibility and the Harry Potter films.

Final Farewells: Celebrities We Lost in 2016  3:36

https://youtu.be/MlSdvHiQZg0