Author Topic: Tsunami Article - Foreshadowing?  (Read 4355 times)

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Tsunami Article - Foreshadowing?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 04:30:19 PM »
I have been trying to figure out how far inland water would reach if a tidal wave, or tsunami wave, let's say 100 feet high, would go.  Would it be no more than 20 miles, or would it be more like 200 miles.  If anyone knows, I'd appreciate if you'd share.  Thanks.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 05:38:35 PM »
I have been trying to figure out how far inland water would reach if a tidal wave, or tsunami wave, let's say 100 feet high, would go.  Would it be no more than 20 miles, or would it be more like 200 miles.  If anyone knows, I'd appreciate if you'd share.  Thanks.

Depends on the terrain.  Search for "inland from coast" at http://www.zetatalk.com/

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 09:51:18 PM »

I'd say it would be closer to 200 miles ...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 09:52:21 PM »

I'd say it would be closer to 200 miles ... I mean that people should locate themselves inland...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:47:44 AM by Yowbarb »

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 09:27:46 AM »

That's what I thought too.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 07:05:13 AM »
This post could probably be placed in several different locations, as it is about foreshadowing, but not particularly a specific "tsunami article".

A fellow TownHall'er, GenericUser, suggested I watch the Netflix video Melancholia, which I did after months of procrastination.   I'm glad to have seen it, in spite of how really slow it seems in the early stages.   But it picks up in intensity and interest in the later stages, and in the last few minutes I was riveted to the chair through the ending.

In a nutshell, it revolves around a family, some of whom are "aware" and others not, and how they deal with the approach of a body into the solar system, especially after it is easily visible.

Dominating the last stages of the movie are the two sisters Claire and Justine, I only hope I could be as brave as Justine, if faced with a situation as dire.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 04:49:11 PM »
Another post about foreshadowing, and this one from "mainedadof5":

Re: The Official 'Killshot Precursor' News Discussion Thread
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »

I happen to come across a news story posted right now on MSN home page. It is entitled "NASA Releases Stunning Image Of Sun's Magnetic Field". It's a 48 second video illustrating the sun's magnetism... it's nice and all until you get to see a video clip of a second sun for a few seconds about 36 seconds in... Just thought I'd share

here's the link that I copied and THANK YOU ALL for all you do.                                                                                                       http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/other/nasa-releases-stunning-image-of-suns-magnetic-field/vi-BBqx5ws

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 05:49:40 PM »

That's what I thought too.
And it would depend on the elevation of the land over which the water flows--think of a coast with very gradual rise, as opposed to one with tall cliffs high above the water, and increasingly tall hills behind those cliffs. 

Just thinking out loud here, if you look at 100' as the y axis and and the distance it travels (which you don't yet know) as the x-axis, then you could look at topographical maps of the specific area in question to get the slope of the coast land and land further in.   You could easily see it by drawing it on paper:  draw the exact point where the water enters the land, and at that point draw a vertical line, with height of 100'. 

Now at the top of that 100' line, which is the y-axis, draw a second line, this one horizontal, and this is the x-axis.  Allow that horizontal x-axis to go for as long as you have paper, since we don't know how far the tsunami will go yet.

Once you know, or guesstimate the average slope of the land from the water's edge, you can draw that slope as the land over which the water will flow.  Draw that sloped line, beginning at the bottom of y-axis, and sloping upward, and representing the land from coast inward, and continue to draw the same degree of slope until the "land slope" intersects with the x-axis.  It is after this point that, AFAIK, the tsunami would lose steam more rapidly. 

IIRC the velocity of a tsunami begins at about the 600-some mph, (but check this for sure), remembering that the velocity will gradually decrease as the tsunami "loses steam" by hitting obstacles, etc.  If for example, the average slope of land from the water's edge is almost nil, and most land in the area is around sea level, you can see how very far the water could travel.  OTOH, with a 30 degree slope of land inward, you could see how quickly the wave could reach a point where it would lose energy quickly.

Hope this helps a tiny bit. 

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 05:54:31 PM »
This isn't particularly about a tsunami, but foreshadowing.

http://listverse.com/2016/05/08/10-bizarre-ways-scientists-believe-aliens-will-contact-us/
10 Bizarre Ways Scientists Believe Aliens Will Contact Us