Author Topic: Seeing a planet with moons in the morning at 5 am central standard time  (Read 997 times)

Christopher Dennis

Hello all. I live in Kansas city.  For the last 3 weeks I have been watching a bright object in the morning sky.  I looked at it with binocular but it just looked like a really small moon. So I dusted off the telescope from the 1980's and when the clouds cleared after a week I got it out and took a look. First thing I noticed before I looked into the eyepiece was that it got bigger in the sky and brighter. When I got it in position and looked through the eyepiece I saw a planet with 3 moons orbiting it.  I looked at my star chart and saw nothing where it was in the sky. On Sunday January 10th 2016 after a week long cloud cover I went outside in the freezing cold to look at the object and noticed it got bigger and brighter. I grabbed my binoculars and was now able to see this planet and moons without the telescope and looked like a comet tail coming off of it. I went to my star map on my tablet and it said that it was Jupiter??!  Doesn't make since!  How can I see Jupiter with binoculars?? And mars is closer and with my telescope it looks like a twinkling light? Anyone else know what it is and can Jupiter be seen with binoculars or a backyard low powered telescope?

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Very interesting, Christopher.  Can you give us the coordinates or the direction to look?

Christopher Dennis

I dont know the coordinates. Face south/southwest and look up high in the sky but not directly up. Look for the tail of big dipper, it is along the same  plane as the last star in the handle,look to the southwest then. High up. Im trying to get pictures.

Christopher Dennis

Cancer

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Hello all. I live in Kansas city.  For the last 3 weeks I have been watching a bright object in the morning sky.  I looked at it with binocular but it just looked like a really small moon. So I dusted off the telescope from the 1980's and when the clouds cleared after a week I got it out and took a look. First thing I noticed before I looked into the eyepiece was that it got bigger in the sky and brighter. When I got it in position and looked through the eyepiece I saw a planet with 3 moons orbiting it.  I looked at my star chart and saw nothing where it was in the sky. On Sunday January 10th 2016 after a week long cloud cover I went outside in the freezing cold to look at the object and noticed it got bigger and brighter. I grabbed my binoculars and was now able to see this planet and moons without the telescope and looked like a comet tail coming off of it. I went to my star map on my tablet and it said that it was Jupiter??!  Doesn't make since!  How can I see Jupiter with binoculars?? And mars is closer and with my telescope it looks like a twinkling light? Anyone else know what it is and can Jupiter be seen with binoculars or a backyard low powered telescope?
Welcome to the Planet X Town Hall, Christopher.
I just approved your Application for Membership yesterday morning. Good to see Members jump right in and post. :)
A lot of the planets can be seen with the naked eye. I'm not sure exactly how many of them, but planets as far away as Saturn, anyway. [See: http://www.guampdn.com/story/life/2016/01/07/early-morning-perfect-time-planet-watching/78344502/ ]
A comet tail coming off of it, no...some of what you describe doesn't sound like Jupiter. Do you have starry night etc. on your computer.
Can you get some photos through your telescope?
The correct date/time set on your camera?
If you do submit photos to me by email also send along a few notes on longitude latitude and time, direction.
All The Best,
Barb Townsend
Administrator  scroll down for a paragraph on planets in AM sky:
..................................................................................................
http://www.guampdn.com/story/life/2016/01/07/early-morning-perfect-time-planet-watching/78344502/

Early morning perfect time for planet watching
Pam Eastlick, For PDN 12:15 a.m. ChST January 8, 2016

There are four of the five visible planets in the early morning sky. Jupiter is high overhead at 5:45 a.m. this week and it’s officially entered our western sky. Mars is much higher in the eastern sky and it’s definitely leaving Spica behind as it tracks endlessly eastward.

But the big surprise is Venus which is now dropping toward the eastern horizon as it tracks to the other side of the sun from us. You may have spotted Saturn below Venus as your Christmas present from the sky, and you may have been astounded at how fast Venus is approaching Saturn.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:11:00 PM by Yowbarb »