Author Topic: Permaculture / soil management TUTORIAL  (Read 4696 times)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Permaculture / soil management TUTORIAL
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »
Ilinda, Did your potatoes have snow on top of them during the winter?
We had so little snow last winter, and for such a short time, that it would be irrelevant to the survival of the potatoes.  My best guess is that being the potatoes are small, and having very dark purple skins, they just sat there next to the garlic waiting their turn to start growing again.

The pictures should follow soon, as I plan to dig garlic approx. on the 20th, and might dig one garlic and one potato plant earlier for a test.

Am editing this a minute or two after posting, to add this:
We did have below zero temperatures a number of times, as I paid special attention to the temperatures because I had just last spring decided to try to grow olive trees (in Missouri!) in an unheated greenhouse.

Well, we had about three or four days of temp's between minus 2 deg.F  and minus 5 deg.F, then one night it got to minus 10 deg. F!  I was really scared for the olive trees that night but they did survive (well wrapped and surrounded by water jugs).

So, in spite of those temperatures, with little snow, the Purple Peruvian Potato lives!  It's ALIVE, it's ALIVE!!

Pictures to follow.  Plus I may as well post pics of the olive trees that are growing like weeds.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2017, 04:36:12 AM »
From your description, Ilinda, it sounds as if Purple Peruvian fingerlings might be much more prolific than Ozette?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »
From your description, Ilinda, it sounds as if Purple Peruvian fingerlings might be much more prolific than Ozette?
Yes, for me here in Missouri's Ozarks, the Ozette scarcely produced any more than the original "seed potatoes", whereas the Purple Peruvian seem prolific, whether the huge fingerlings, or the tiny ones.  I did take one pic of the garlic/Purple Peruv. potato bed, and will post ASAP.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »
ilinda, does this map seem accurate?
The image is from urbanfarmer seed company...
Haven't checked them out yet.  Not sure if non GMO but a neat image...