Author Topic: Post-2016 Nov. Killshot preps  (Read 1177 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Post-2016 Nov. Killshot preps
« on: October 02, 2016, 11:44:23 AM »
Specifically about how a killshot effects society; what are we thinking or talking about?

- martial law; within how many hours?
- rioting, looting, gangs out to get anybody that appears an easy target; again: how soon?
- getting to your bugout location; how much time do you have? How far might one travel?

These are the things keeping my mind occupied these last couple of days.
Ed Dames' predictions may be right, may be wrong, but worst case scenario: acting on them is just another practice run or dress rehersal and i've found that these are extremely educational, so i'm gonna go with it...

Electricity has fallen away; no one really knows why since ALL TV AND INTERNET ARE A THING OF THE PAST... But you and i know they're not coming back. Hell, that will take at least MONTHS and by the time any normalcy has been reestablished, cannabalism and a zombie apocalypse will already have become the norm. Hey, there's THREE HUNDRED FIFTY MILLION PEOPLE IN BOTH EUROPE AND AMERICA; that's a lotta hungry mouths to feed on a very limited area covered with useless crops, cities, roads and what have you.

How soon before everything goes to sh!t?
Let's brainstorm...

DENIAL; most people suffer from the 5 stages of grief: denial, agression, bartering, depression and acceptance; no electricity? "Oh, it'll come back any time now. You just wait and see". That will not only be most folks' take on things but government will probably be interested in supporting such (pathetic) lethargy.
So how does government react? Probably by NOT reacting. After all, any and all rreaction would imply there's a real problem. So perhaps no martial law IMMEDIATELY... That might allow for a few hours to head for the hills and that's good news.
Me, i'm thinking the caves in Spain; per Ed Dames' post-cataclysmic map, the south of France and Spain are Europe's safe zones. A cave system with multiple layers and water sounds like a good option to me. And all the folk in denial won't be leaving their homes to hole up in a cave; not yet...

I'm considering suggesting to a few sellect people...
"Hey, IF a killshot happens in November, what if we were to assemble in this or that location and head to Spain?" They don't have to be 'preppers'. (I don't know any personally anyway.) They just have to be open to the potentiality of the matter. Yeah, i know such people are few-and-far-between but i can imagine a few; just a few... But en route to Spain, it would be much much nicer to be traveling as a group; you keep each other motivated, distracted from doubt and worry, and your number will keep the first and most primitive parasites at bay.

I'm thinking, i have the following to offer these individuals:
- a stash of gasoline, enough to make it to said caves
- a supply of water (which will seem a lot more convincing after doing without for a day...)
- a collection of seeds
- a mind that's been preparing for just such an eventuality since 2008...

Though i have 1500km to traverse to get to said Spanish caves, i'm thinking if i can just make my way there QUICKLY enough,, i may get there before TSHTF. I mean, without internet, radio, phones or even police frequencies, people won't even know or suspect that the loss of electricity is beyond local, let alone global. As one passes through one area to the next, you'll actually be passing through one separate social unit after the other. Hell, people will probably stop you to ask if there's electricity elsewhere. And if you told them: "Sure man, there's electricity more to the north", they will be relieved, thank you and let you on your merry way...

Thoughts?
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Post-2016 Nov. Killshot preps
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 02:53:01 PM »

You certainly don’t want to be in the Midwest when the s*&^ hits the fan!

http://www.space.com/34084-midwest-is-space-storm-alley-map-reveals.html

Midwest Is 'Space Storm Alley,' Map Reveals

Midwest Is 'Space Storm Alley,' Map Reveals
Colorful aural lights dance exquisitely across the Pacific Northwest.
Credit: ESA/NASA

Power outages are often triggered by storms, and certain regions are more vulnerable to certain kinds of storms. Hurricanes threaten the Gulf Coast, ice storms menace New England and Tornado Alley, of course, earned that name for a reason.

Now comes word that power grids in certain regions of the upper Midwest are uniquely vulnerable to space storms — torrents of charged particles from the Sun that can short-circuit entire electrical networks. In fact, scientists working with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) have created a set of detailed geoelectric hazard maps, designed to predict where such storms are likely to be most severe.

The new research — published last week in Geophysical Review Letters — is informed by years of survey data from both above and below. According to a helpful breakdown over at Science magazine, the strength of geoelectric storms is determined by complex interactions between space weather, the Earth's magnetic field, and the conductivity of particular rocks in the Earth's crust.

It works like this: When charged material ejected from the sun comes our way, it sends electrical currents that flow through the planet's surface. Our donut-shaped magnetic field deflects some of this, but the rest travels toward the ground near Earth's magnetic poles. A power grid closer to these poles is more likely to experience trouble during a geoelectric storm.

But the severity of the problems is also determined by local geology, in that some areas of the Earth's crust are more conductive than others. In the U.S., the upper Midwest region is dominated by two kinds of rock that together facilitate strong, local electrical currents during space storms.

The new mapping data crunches the numbers from earth and sky, providing critical information that can help utility companies defend against space storms. It was a team effort, to be sure: The new maps are based on survey data collected by the National Science Foundation's (NSF) EarthScope Program and the USGS, plus observatory data collected by the USGS and the worldwide INTERMAGNET consortium.

It's serious business, too. According to the USGS report, a severe geomagnetic storm could disrupt the nation's power grid for months, potentially leading to widespread blackouts. Resulting damage could cost more than $1 trillion.

Max.
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 04:37:53 PM »
Checkout the PBS documentary “Blackout” about the power going out in NYC in the 1970's for a full day VERY worth watching for free at video.pbs.org
Just can't get that song outta my head...

Googling the matter [wikipedia didn't help], though, the immediate riots that followed the 1977 New York City blackout had to do with a few specific reasons:
- shops had just closed and owners were home
- there was already unrest in the black and hispanic communities due to economic stress
- it was a terribly hot, sweltery summer night
In a much larger blackout in the same area in 1965 just about the opposite happened and people were actually helpful and supportive of one another...

So avoid the big cities. I think your first real issue might have to do with 'authorities' confiscating your supplies if they find you on the road with a working vehicle, for example.
I've been thinking; what if one were to send a kind of scout ahead with a walkie talkie and you only use your gasoline to move yourselves and supplies as long as the coast is clear? It would be slower going but a lot smarter and safer.

Worked on my moped today. It will run on very little gas but carry a load of basic supplies. Think:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:02:54 PM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 05:06:45 PM »
Checkout the PBS documentary “Blackout” about the power going out in NYC in the 1970's for a full day VERY worth watching for free at video.pbs.org
Just can't get that song outta my head...

Googling the matter [wikipedia didn't help], though, the immediate riots that followed the 1977 New York City blackout had to do with a few specific reasons:
- shops had just closed and owners were home
- there was already unrest in the black and hispanic communities due to economic stress
- it was a terribly hot, sweltery summer night
In a much larger blackout in the same area in 1965 just about the opposite happened and people were actually helpful and supportive of one another...

So avoid the big cities. I think your first real issue might have to do with 'authorities' confiscating your supplies if they find you on the road with a working vehicle, for example.
I've been thinking; what if one were to send a kind of scout ahead with a walkie talkie and you only use your gasoline to move yourselves and supplies as long as the coast is clear? It would be slower going but a lot smarter and safer.

Worked on my moped today. It will run on very little gas but carry a load of basic supplies. Think:

Just a BTW.  I tried to find that Blackout and could not.  There seemed to be a number of links to a "Blackout" but they didn't seem to match what I was looking for.  Maybe I'll try again, as I'm intrigued while waiting for Zero Days.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Diesel engines
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 05:25:01 PM »
Anyway, thinking about getting other people on board once the sh!t has hit the fan and there's neither electricity, water nor gasoline at the pumps... I was thinking: what if we arrange some diesel truck to drive off in? Diesels run more thrifty than gasoline and then there's always sunflower oil...
So how to start a diesel without a working battery (which EMPs fry)? Googling...

There IS a right way and a wrong way to use starting fluid. (commonly called 'ether')
The majority (if not ALL) diesels have glow plugs (or pre-heaters) that are supposed to be used prior to engine cranking.
If that doesn't work, THEN consider using the starting fluid.
The engine MUST be cranking (turning over) BEFORE the starting fluid is applied SPARINGLY.
Too much starting fluid and no cranking before application WILL guarantee cylinders popping with no oil.
FWIW, starting fluid comes in a spray can (aerosol) but usually 'squirts' the fluid out.

Always use ether sparingly. As you crank the engine, have your 'helper' just give a short burst (like half a second or just a little more) from the spray can into the air intake of the air intake system. If it's fuel injected, remove the air filter and short-burst directly into the air horn of the injector set-up or into the top of the TBI (throttle body injector). If it fires, but doesn't stay running, try another short burst. It'll eventually stay running. If you use too much ether, it could burn or explode a hole in the top of a piston. Ether is a highly volatile solvent and WILL strip the cylinder walls of oil. I've seen holes in pistons twice in over 50 years of "monkeying around" cars. Caused by excess ether.

Might be the kind of information one should print out and have ready hard copy...
survival database