Author Topic: Instructional videos  (Read 1952 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Instructional videos
« on: October 30, 2016, 01:56:02 AM »
Gabe Brown on soil and soil carbon.
Gabe Brown is a successful farmer from North Dakota with 5 months of snow a year and 11 inches of rain.
Here he stresses the importance of basic farming and ranging techniques and tactics, like growing multi-species crops.
Just watching the first few minutes will blow your mind if you still believe there's any value to mainstream farming.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Instructional videos
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 10:48:06 AM »

Excellent video.  I thought that I would just watch the first few seconds, but then I had to see it all.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 05:04:26 PM »
Gabe Brown is a successful farmer from North Dakota with 5 months of snow a year and 11 inches of rain.
Here he stresses the importance of basic farming and ranging techniques and tactics, like growing multi-species crops.
Just watching the first few minutes will blow your mind if you still believe there's any value to mainstream farming.

Great work, Socrates, great Topic.
:)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »
So very much needed!
Socrates, thanks for posting all these videos!

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 04:24:12 PM »
So very much needed!
Socrates, thanks for posting all these videos!
Ditto here, Socrates, but I'm still trying to find time to watch the Gabe Brown video on soil and soil carbon!  So much to watch/learn, so little time.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: time
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 08:12:55 PM »
We all have so little time since there's too much to do. This is why i focus on priorities and on sharing (also in the hope others share in turn). It is all far too much and takes far too much time while day-to-day survival also keeps going on.
It's nice that there are resources like Permies around that get into the nitty gritty of things but we can't all become herbalists, geologists, chemists, etc.etc.etc.
We DO, though, all need to know the basics about growing good food (and how not to traumatize infants); these have the highest priority, but even these need to be kept basic or we'll never get on to other priorities (let alone anything else).

As to the Gabe Brown presentation, i think the gist of it comes near the end where he shows the soil values of himself compared to his neighbors; one of his neighbors practices polyculture, one practices no-till farming and the other doesn't apply any pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or fertilizer. Yet Gabe Brown's soil values are 5 to 100 times higher due to the fact that he does all these things simultaneously.

I think it's just important to hear, understand and accept the principles involved. Let's face it, it would take years of farming to acquire the kind of detailed knowledge and expertise a person like Gabe Brown enjoys, but as long as we acknowledge that polyculture, no-till and non-chemical farming are the way to go, we're already way ahead of mainstream self-destructive practices.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 02:43:31 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Geoff Lawton
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 10:51:03 AM »
survival database

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
animal husbandry
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 12:34:00 AM »
Joel Salatin on basics and pasture rotation
40 minutes but full of knowledge and experience by a true professional expert.775
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:00:26 AM by Socrates »
survival database

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
inspirational
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 02:58:55 AM »
TEDx; L.A. victory gardens

Connected to the above vid, i just saw a Justin Rhodes vid in which @ 3:33 the single mother of 4 who grows her own food says the first obstacle to doing so is believing it is possible.

You can grow your own food. People have done it since forever.
You know what Nike and the Mormons say: "Just do it!" [Nike stole that from a Mormon prophet.]
 :D784
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 05:16:43 AM »
I was not convinced before coming to this discussion group that it was possible to grow all of our own livestock feed on a small homestead, but it is turning out to be possible, thanks in part to what I've learned here.  Just needed to adjust my thinking a bit, and make better use of land, as well as learn about some new species of edible plants.

Thanks for all the encouragement Socrates!

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: encouraging knowledge
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 05:48:08 AM »
It's just permaculture itself that's encouraging. All i did was go to YouTube and it then features these vids by Justin Rhodes (since i'm subscribed to his channel); i follow a few of them, one thing leads to another and i share the goodies i find.
Easy peasy japanesy  :D

People have been mucking about for millennia and it didn't matter all that much until fairly recently since there were only about 10% as many people on the Earth [like 30 million in Europe for ages, with now around 300 million]. It's the masses of people that have finally made so very clear how inept and incompetent farming has been since forever.

We have now, in our age, in our time, opportunities that our ancestors could not have even dreamed of, with the experience and teachings of thousands of farmers throughout the world and throughout history. All of it a few hours research away through the internet.
We can order seeds from China for a few bucks, though people used to risk their lives on far sea voyages just to get some seed or other from some far away place.
There are 'farming gurus' from all over the world [Japan, Australia, South America, etc. etc. etc.] offering us priceless information for nothing. And all we have to do is accept their offerings for our own benefit...
It's crazy when you get to thinking about it. Our advantages are friggin' awesome (and only diminished by our reluctance to embrace them).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:14:37 AM by Socrates »
survival database

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
grass clippings
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 03:48:26 AM »
Uses for grass clippings

Grass = Life
What do the great herbivores that feed both ancient and modern cultures eat? Grass
what do the largest animals on earth eat [okay, besides whales, but they're also vegetarian and live in seawater, i.e. in a minerally-dense soup; essentially they're eating 'sea grass' (or tiny organisms that live off of it).]
What is the single floral organism in nature that absorbs all minerals it finds in the soil? Grass

In 'health' and diet matters, people go on and on about this and that, but in the end it's all about minerals. And Maynard Murray's decades of research into using seawater [which contains all minerals] to fertilize flora just prove the point since his plants were drought, disease and cold resistant; when fed to animals, said fauna became exceptionally healthy and productive.
Herbs? Plants that take up certain minerals you might be missing otherwise.
Vitamins? The body can't absorb vitamins without the minerals it needs to do so.

Grass, Grass, Grass?
One might as well be saying [on land, anyway]: "Minerals, minerals, minerals"
[i.e. = health = strength = growth = life]

So if we can find a way to take even better advantage of what grass has to offer, this is worth our time.
The above vid goes into how we can take advantage of grass clippings.
This vid goes into how a beer/coke/ammonia combo can turn said clippings into soil in 2 weeks.

On a personal note, i once worked on a garbage truck for 18 months. And i endured a lot of bad smells during that time... [as one might imagine]. However, there is nothing[!] anywhere as sickening as the smell of a large pile of grass that's been out in the summer heat for a few days!
I mean, one becomes inured to most smells during this kind of work, but i seriously doubt that one could ever get used to the smell of rotting grass. It's just that bad and that intense.
On the other hand, one might ask...
why is that?
Just sayin'
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:12:58 AM by Socrates »
survival database

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
COMPOST
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 04:48:36 AM »
Almost Instant Compost Pile [that takes 13 minutes to portray...]
I found this very entertaining and endearing (and that's good, since one might as well enjoy oneself while getting to basics).

Composting is about planning and knowledge; vids like this convey how very much can go wrong from ignorance
[/ inexperience], though was very unnecessary in hindsight...

Other nice vids:
- Compost Facts vs Myths
- Joel Salatin on Compost
also see link to my TEOTWAWKI forum which contains a bunch of good links (as well as principles).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:09:40 AM by Socrates »
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 06:18:38 AM »
Grass, Grass, Grass?

Thanks for the reminder about the value of grass clippings Socrates - I've asked my neighbors to save theirs for me to pick up.  My only concern though, right now, is not to create a tinderbox during flyby, so will hope for lots of rain (which we've had torrential amounts of this year). :)