Author Topic: Instructional videos  (Read 1951 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: addendum
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 02:57:37 AM »
Grass clippings compost
According to Praxxus55712 grass is generally already the perfect compost medium [i.e. 50% carbon/dead organic material and 50% nitrogen/living organic material]. So all you have to do is pile it up and keep it moist and in about a month you'll have perfect compost. (N.B.: grass is the one flora that collects into itself [i.e. organically] all minerals contained in the soil; therefore, it is the perfect compost material since the most important thing in bringing health to soil is bringing minerals into soil.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Instructional videos
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
grass is generally already the perfect compost medium [i.e. 50% carbon/dead organic material and 50% nitrogen/living organic material]

We find that there is no strong smell, as mentioned in an earlier post.  Hens grind it into the soil and make fluffy compost probably faster than it would degrade on its own.  It also helps to counteract the mud bath that we get here after heavy rains. :)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: rotting grass
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 02:34:14 PM »
the strong smell came from grass decomposing in an anaerobic environment; a compost pile / bin should allow plenty of air and would be a completely different story.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
grass
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 11:25:15 PM »
Joel Salatin is a waterfall of information and experience if you grant him the time...

I suggest you check out this YouTube vid from 19:52 onward for a while to hear his argument concerning how efficiently grass converts H2O and CO2 (and minerals) into soil [i.e. compared to trees and shrubs].
(And then the animals consume the grass [be they elephants, rhinoceros, cows, sheep, geese, guinea pigs or whatever] and sunshine has been converted into energy that our bodies can consume.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:44:28 PM by Socrates »
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Instructional videos
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 05:09:31 AM »
USDA=U.S. Duh
:D

From a spiritual standpoint, suddenly now, the pigs are not just pork chops and bacon...those pigs now become co-laborers and team-players in this great land-healing ministry!  And that really fundamentally changed the emotional-spiritual relationship that we have.

If all the money that were spent on chemical fertilizers today were spent on carbon, we would have an incredible industry literally spring up overnight...taking the junk and leaving the best, instead of taking the best and leaving the worst.  We would become resilient in our own fertility system.