Author Topic: EMPs  (Read 260 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
EMPs
« on: November 02, 2016, 02:54:22 AM »
I came across this post by Pastor Joe Fox (whom i always enjoy watching) on how to prepare for a possible EMP event.
Then i saw this link to a general tutorial on EMPs; there they mention that the fact that your FM radio won't catch a signal within a Faraday cage doesn't mean much since an EMP can be 73,000 [!] times stronger than an FM signal.
Ergo: use thick materials and ground the hell out of your Faraday cage.

A strong enough EMP (like from a CME [coronal mass ejection], galactic superwave or nuclear blast) will shut down all electronics, except maybe for those of the military. All modern cars won't go and only gas stations with back-up generators they can get started will be able to pump gasoline.

As i've posted elsewhere, you can start a diesel engine without electricity if you know what you're doing [otherwise you will destroy the engine], i.e. that includes back-up generators running on diesel.
Obviously, the transport system that relies on trucks and cars running 24/7 will grind to a halt and neighbors and strangers will quickly become anxious, hungry and thirsty. If you're interested in getting outta Dodge at that point, best do it quickly, by sea, as part of a convoy and/or armed to the teeth.

As one YouTuber pointed out, people in areas used to being cut off from electrical services on occasion [like in the northern U.S.A.] will be less likely to panic immediately, whereas people who are used to 24/7/365-days-a-year service will tend to become anxious more quickly.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:18:43 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: EMPs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 05:40:07 AM »
GREAT topic Socrates thanks for starting this thread!

As I have posted other places Ham Radio communications is the ONLY thing that will allow the “common folk” to have any chance of reaching others after a major EMP/Solar flair event.

Just bought one of these for my Faraday cage, best price I have seen for a “full featured” QRP (low power) Ham radio. I will post more in about how I made a small Faraday cage this and several other electronic devices:

A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure used to block electric fields.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

A Faraday cage operates because an external electrical field causes the electric charges within the cage's conducting material to be distributed such that they cancel the field's effect in the cage's interior. This phenomenon is used to protect sensitive electronic equipment from external radio frequency interference (RFI). Faraday cages are also used to enclose devices that produce RFI, such as radio transmitters, to prevent their radio waves from interfering with other nearby equipment. They are also used to protect people and equipment against actual electric currents such as lightning strikes and electrostatic discharges, since the enclosing cage conducts current around the outside of the enclosed space and none passes through the interior.

X1M Pro QRP Transceiver

http://www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_id=302&category_id=65

QRP Transceiver
(Xiegu is pronounced "zia goo")
Improved Display, Improved Controls
Improved Components, Improved Filtering, Improved Performance

Frequency range RX & TX:  100 kHz ~ 30 MHz*
Modes: USB & LSB & CW
Power output: 5 Watts
Operating voltage: 12 vdc
Operating current: 0.35 ~ 1.2 amp
Receiver

* Transmits continuous 100 kHz - 30 MHz via  Menu option.  Preset transmit range is the five US bands shown below.

Five Ham Bands are configured with bandpass filtering.  Transmitting on frequencies outside these ranges will require external bandpass filtering.

Band 1:    3.5 ~ 4.0 MHz
Band 2:    7.0 ~ 7.3 MHz
Band 3:   14.0 ~ 14.350 MHz
Band 4:   21.0 ~ 21.45 MHz
Band 5:   28.0 ~ 29.7  MHz

$359.95

Max.
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)