Author Topic: Cloth, cotton, covers, clothes and carpets  (Read 852 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Cloth, cotton, covers, clothes and carpets
« on: November 02, 2016, 11:28:15 PM »
COTTON    -    HEMP    -    FLAX    -    WOOL    -    SILK

Long term, you're looking at a need to replace all kinds of things like clothes. Do not forget that things like cotton once came from some faraway country and billions of folks did without for millennia before Europeans started growing it all over the place. This is just one example of how important it is you have with you [i.e. bug-out-bag] things like some:
- cotton seeds
- hemp seeds
- flax seeds
In a perfect world you would also somehow manage to save some sheep for wool, or even some silk worms [and mulberry trees] so you could make silk some day.

We're human beings and even in the tropics it can be nice to have clothes and sheets to sleep under, but if harsh years are a-coming during which the Sun won't be able to penetrate the atmosphere properly [again, thinking of the 536 year-without-sun disaster, i.e. it's not like this hasn't happened before, even recently, geologically speaking], you will certainly be needing the ability to replace worn garments and such.

Even longer term, think of the trade opportunities of being able to sell things like cotton, linen or silk. That kind of advantage can both save your life and build an empire.

- Introduction to preparing flax for linen
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:57:17 PM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Cloth, cotton, covers, clothes and carpets
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 05:36:21 PM »
COTTON    -    HEMP    -    FLAX    -    WOOL    -    SILK

Long term, you're looking at a need to replace all kinds of things like clothes. Do not forget that things like cotton once came from some faraway country and billions of folks did without for millennia before Europeans started growing it all over the place. This is just one example of how important it is you have with you [i.e. bug-out-bag] things like some:
- cotton seeds
- hemp seeds
- flax seeds
In a perfect world you would also somehow manage to save some sheep for wool, or even some silk worms [and mulberry trees] so you could make silk some day.

We're human beings and even in the tropics it can be nice to have clothes and sheets to sleep under, but if harsh years are a-coming during which the Sun won't be able to penetrate the atmosphere properly [again, thinking of the 536 year-without-sun disaster, i.e. it's not like this hasn't happened before, even recently, geologically speaking], you will certainly be needing the ability to replace worn garments and such.

Even longer term, think of the trade opportunities of being able to sell things like cotton, linen or silk. That kind of advantage can both save your life and build an empire.

- Introduction to preparing flax for linen
Fascinating watch!  I've grown flax a few times, but never knew what to do with it.  It's actually rather easy to grow, and now have a bit of second thought about trying again.  Those implements could be made on most homesteads.

And in fact this reminds me a lot of the wild Dogbane.  This is a plant that strongly resembles milkweed, and is most likely in the same genus, or at least somehow related.  It is also a fiber plant.  I found a long piece of it down on the riverbank a couple of years ago and asked many many people to help me ID it, and nobody, including the local Naturalist at the nearby state park, could identify it, as it was devoid of leaves and was brown and drying.  Then a Native American friend immediately said" it looks like dogbane that my uncle in Oklahoma showed me".  It was in fact dogbane.   

There was an article in the Missouri Conservationist a few years ago about processing dogbane for the same use as flax--as a fiber plant. 

Fascinating and thanks for posting.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
kjortel / long tunic
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:46:29 PM »

Rewilding University vid

I'm already very happy with my djeleba, but this kjortel [with hood; see link to vid] really does seem much better for being active outside.

The above vid, however, does go a long way in explaining why the djeleba is to this day still a common site in Morocco; the advantages are great and if you've only money for (one or) a few garments, something made of wool that covers the whole body is the way to go.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:09:20 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Cloth, cotton, covers, clothes and carpets
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 07:25:25 PM »
I have an old wool-cotton blend long jumper that I got from a thrift shop years ago that is absolutely indestructible.  I believe the weave is called viyella, but hard to find now.  Wool is good stuff!  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 06:27:41 AM by R.R. Book »