• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Asthma
« on: January 14, 2017, 12:21:47 AM »

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: Asthma
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 05:25:48 AM »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:29:23 PM »
Over the years i've collected a few links on this matter.

Socrates, that's great...I need to read them.

I see: http://b2012overleven.runboard.com/t338 
Would you mind if I copied them over here or would you prefer to share?

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: TEOTWAWKI wiki
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 03:00:00 AM »
copy/share as you like. It's public.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 02:13:09 PM »
http://www.livestrong.com/article/124197-honey-asthma/
On a related note, I've read numerous times that eating local honey usually helps with allergies, due to fact that pollen and other elements from the local environs are found in local honey, and thus help the honey-eater build immunity to the local pollen.

When I say "local honey" I mean honey that bees gathered in the area that is around, or in the nearby vicinity to, the person eating the honey.  What I do not mean is buying jars labeled "Local Honey".  Someone once told me of the availability of local honey and I told her I'd order several jars when the person came back around, but when I went to pick up the honey, it had the label affixed to the jar that read:  "LOCAL HONEY" with no indication of what locality it was referencing.  It could have easily been from China as every honey is local to somewhere.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: TEOTWAWKI wiki
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »
copy/share as you like. It's public.
Thank you! :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 07:02:36 PM »
http://www.livestrong.com/article/124197-honey-asthma/
On a related note, I've read numerous times that eating local honey usually helps with allergies, due to fact that pollen and other elements from the local environs are found in local honey, and thus help the honey-eater build immunity to the local pollen.

When I say "local honey" I mean honey that bees gathered in the area that is around, or in the nearby vicinity to, the person eating the honey.  What I do not mean is buying jars labeled "Local Honey".  Someone once told me of the availability of local honey and I told her I'd order several jars when the person came back around, but when I went to pick up the honey, it had the label affixed to the jar that read:  "LOCAL HONEY" with no indication of what locality it was referencing.  It could have easily been from China as every honey is local to somewhere.

Thanks for the tips on honey. At this point I would want to buy honey from a local farm, I just don't know where, yet.
I feel with a little looking a person could get local honey and have a pretty good idea it was produced there (someone's farm who kept bees)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 07:03:29 PM »
I had an old German naturopath tell me once, take honey but no more than a tablespoon or less at a time...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »
Yowbarb Note:
There are some other posts about asthma in other Boards on the Town hall.
One is about coconut oil and there are some herbs too.
I will round up the posts, or copy them and put them here in this Topic.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 09:29:05 AM »
"Oil pulling" with coconut oil helps with asthma. Dental health, diabetes, other conditions.
I started a separate topic on oil pulling.
Wikipedia article is here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_pulling 

Oil pulling is swishing around a cold pressed natural oil in the mouth for 15020 minutes, spitting it out then rinsing and scrubbing with salt water, followed by regular tooth brushing routine.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 09:40:22 AM »
Yowbarb Note:  This link takes you to Global Moderator Socrates site, the page on asthma.
Or it might be several pages. :)  Lots of info on the page, only posting a couple things right now:

SEE:  http://b2012overleven.runboard.com/t338  Asthma other lung-related ailments

Dr. Mercola:  Take 4.5 grams of this a day to prevent or fight asthma
SEE:   http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/26/cla-eases-airways-for-asthmatics.aspx

"Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) may improve the airway hyper-reactivity in asthmatics, according to the results of a new study. A dose of 4.5 grams of CLA each day produced significant reduction in airway hyper-responsiveness. It also had favorable effects on body weight.

CLA is a fatty acid, which is found in ruminant meat and dairy products. Average intake of CLA has fallen over the years due to changes in the Western diet."

Yowbarb Note: Source of food is important. Dr. Mercola strongly recommends grass fed beef and butter. Grain fed beef and butter contain far less of the CLA.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:01:48 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 09:52:51 AM »
Also on Socrates page, http://b2012overleven.runboard.com/t338

also from TheLivingShadow

"In addition to a general detoxifying diet, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice before each meal, and before retiring can reduce asthma symptoms."

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 10:26:46 AM »
Tuck this away in the data base. Just came across this.

How I Cured My Asthma With One Simple Lifestyle Change 

In his article, JD Moyer outlines all he went through and various things and lifetyles he went through to get rid of asthma. He did end up adding back some types of animal fats and that fat got rid of his symptoms! 

BY J.D. MOYER ON JULY 17 (2010) IN HEALTH/BODY-HACKING

Yowbarb Note: I had previously heard read about destructive effect of leukotrienes. More of a definition later... So, SEE this page:
http://www.jdmoyer.com/tag/leukotriene-inhibitor/  Take omega oils, eat omega 3 rich foods and (black cumin) Black seed is very effective against both seasonal allergies and coughs; according to this site 
 [ https://www.swansonvitamins.com/amazing-herbs-black-seed-original-plain-100-caps  ] black seed oil contains chemicals which inhibit leukotriene synthesis.

Here's what led to this: On Socrates site, mention of a Mercola article How CLA Helps Asthmatics
link:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/26/cla-eases-airways-for-asthmatics.aspx

Back to the JD Moyer article, "Asthmatics get asthma because they produce much higher levels of leukotrienes, which are fatty molecules of the immune system and at least 1000 times more potent than histamine at causing bronchial constriction. These highly inflammatory leukotrienes are produced when an enzyme known as 5-lipoxygenase (5-lipox) acts on a particular fat called arachidonic acid (AA). Many of the inhaled drugs that treat your asthma work by reducing leukotrienes."
But there's a more natural way for you to fight leukotrienes."

(He has a couple pages of everything he tried and what worked.) He had tried cutting out animal fat but then added some forms of it back, dramatically helping his asthma.

He added:

"Fish oil — Keeping a favorable dietary Omega-3 to Omega-6 fatty acid ratio is extremely important in managing inflammatory conditions.  I’ll go into more detail later, but I recommend fish oil for pretty much everyone (not just to people with asthma, but also to improve heart health and to prevent depression and seasonal affective disorder)."

Raw garlic — In my experience, eating raw garlic is effective against asthma

"Some supplements I found to be effective against allergies (like black seed, nettle, and MSM), but not helpful in controlling asthma symptoms."
but, "black seed oil contains chemicals which inhibit leukotriene synthesis."

Yowbarb Note: Going farther into article, splicing in a quote from JD Moyers :
Dietary changes:  What Worked

I tried most of the above methods between 2001 and 2003.  By 2004, I was reducing my symptoms to some extent with a regular intake of fish oil, evening primrose oil, vitamin C, and magnesium.  Taking fish oil daily was a major turning point — it really helped keep my airway inflammation in check.  I think my Omega-3/Omega-6 fatty acid ratio was severely skewed towards Omega-6 (just as it is in most people in the U.S., including vegetarians and vegans).  The additional Omega-3’s (EPA/DHA) in fish oil helped correct this problem.

I noticed another consistent improvement in my symptoms when I reduced the amount of wheat I was eating.  I sharply reduced the amount of  bread, pasta, pizza, pastries, and even whole-wheat products I was consuming.  My breathing improved, and within a few months I lost about ten pounds of fat and retained water weight.

In 2006 I began to experiment with going “all the way” with the so-called “paleolithic diet.”  For the most part, I cut out all grains, legumes, cow’s milk, and processed foods.  Instead of having “pile o’ starch” as the basis of every meal, I began to eat animal protein (seafood, poultry, eggs, and meat), fresh fruit, and non-starchy vegetables, with generous amounts of olive oil, butter, and nuts.  I also started to eat grass-fed/pastured meat and butter (much higher in anti-inflammatory Omega-3’s than grain-fed animal products), and to supplement with 5K IU of vitamin D on most days (especially during the winter).

The effects of this dietary experiments were dramatic.  My asthma symptoms virtually disappeared, and I lost an additional ten pounds of fat and retained water.

Why Does It Work?

I think there are at least five reasons why the paleolithic diet is effective against asthma:

The diet improves the Omega-3/Omega-6 ratio, which is effective against inflammatory conditions.
The diet is high in vitamin D.  Vitamin D levels are inversely correlated with asthma symptoms.
The diet is low in lectins, gluten, and casein a1, all of which which are associated with “leaky gut syndrome.”  Whole, undigested proteins (as opposed to amino acids) directly entering your bloodstream via your intestines can trick your immune system into attacking its own tissues (resulting in chronic inflammation).
The diet is relatively low in carbohydrates, which helps keep plasma serotonin levels from getting too high (which can trigger bronchoconstriction).
The diet is very high in phytonutrients, many of which have anti-inflammatory effects.
Asthma is primarily an allergic disease — the immune system reacts with inflammation and airway constriction to factors in the environment (pollen, bacteria, viruses, molds, proteins) that it has become sensitized to.  The paleo diet has the effect of making the immune system less “twitchy” — less prone to autoimmunity and inflammation.

Is It Hard To Eat That Way?

I don’t find it difficult, but I’m not that strict.  I follow Mark Sisson’s “primal” version of the paleolithic diet, which allows dark chocolate, coffee, tea, and some wine and beer.  I also eat some dairy products, but I try to stick to the “a2” casein varieties of dairy (milk and cheese from goats, sheep, and Guernsey cows).  Legumes (beans, peas, and peanuts) aren’t included in the paleo diet, but the lectins can be mostly soaked and cooked out, and they’re packed with antioxidants and other nutrients.  I stay away from soy  (which can mess with hormones) and red kidney beans (packed with toxic lectins), but I sometimes eat green beans, peas, pinto beans, and peanuts.

When I eat out at restaurants, I’ll order protein and vegetables instead of pasta, but if the bread is good I’ll eat a piece.  I have less of a sweet tooth than I did in my starch-binging days, but I still have one — so I eat ice cream or pie once in awhile.

Even with fairly frequent “cheats,” I now breathe easy, and I’ve kept off the extra twenty pounds.

I do need to be careful not to eat too many foods that are naturally high in serotonin, such as plums, bananas, avocados, kiwi, tomatoes and a few others.  These foods can’t raise your brain serotonin, but they can boost your plasma (blood) serotonin, thus possibly triggering bronchoconstriction and asthma symptoms.

I still take supplements — both for general health and to make sure I stay free of breathing problems.  Most important are fish oil (to keep the Omega-3/Omega-6 fatty acid balance tilted towards Omega-3), and magnesium (which has a host of other benefits, like preventing noise-related hearing loss).

What Does “Cure” Mean?

You might object to my use of the word “cure.”  Have you really cured a disease if it can come back at any time?  If you have Type-2 diabetes, and you “cure” the disease by sharply reducing your dietary glycemic load (eating less sugar and starch), and exercising regularly, is it really cured?

Take cancer, for example.  Our bodies are constantly producing cancer cells, but our immune systems generally keep them in check.  We never totally rid our bodies of cancer cells, or bacteria, or viruses, or inflammation, or any of the other factors that cause disease.

You can “cure” scurvy with vitamin C, but the scurvy will come back if you stop ingesting vitamin C for long enough.  You can “cure” a bacterial infection with antibiotics, but those bacteria still lurk in the environment (or on your skin, or in your intestines) and can reinfect you at any time.

I used “cured” in the post title, but I could have also used “healed,” or “completely manage my symptoms.”  I’m still vulnerable to asthma if I eat large amounts of the wrong foods, or inhale gigantic amounts of certain pollens.  But on the whole, I feel like I’ve cured the disease in myself.

If you (or a loved one) have experienced asthma symptoms, I feel for you, and I hope you find this post to be useful.  Even if a modified paleolithic diet doesn’t work for you (or you don’t want to try it), don’t give up.  Keep trying things — don’t settle for an inferior quality of life.  If you find the right combination of factors, the body is capable of healing itself.

http://www.jdmoyer.com/tag/leukotriene-inhibitor/ 

Excuse the edits...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:12:39 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 10:50:22 AM »
Yowbarb Note:
As a follow up to the previous post, in which the asthma - curing benefits of Omega 3 are highlighted, here is an article by Weil.

Balancing Omega-3 And Omega-6?

https://www.drweil.com/vitamins-supplements-herbs/vitamins/balancing-omega-3-and-omega-6/

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
The idea is, an anti inflammatory diet would help with many conditions including asthma.

Here is the link to Dr. Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Diet 

https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/anti-inflammatory-diet-pyramid/dr-weils-anti-inflammatory-diet/