Author Topic: Doomsday Vaults  (Read 490 times)

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Doomsday Vaults
« on: April 01, 2017, 01:09:40 PM »
What do "they know" about what is about to take place?? :(

Arctic Norway Boasts Another 'Doomsday Depository!!

https://sputniknews.com/science/201703281052037330-norway-arctic-doomsday-data-depository/

Norway's Arctic archipelago of Svalbard, which is already home to the eponymous Global Seed Vault, is poised to get another 'doomsday' depository. Data files will be safely stored for posterity inside an abandoned coalmine in the mountainside near Svalbard's capital Longyearbyen for at least 500 years.

In the World Arctic Archive, documents and data will remain safe even if original archives are destroyed by natural disasters, wars or cyberattacks. Alongside Norway's own Song og Fjordane County Council, representatives of Brazil's and Mexico's National Archives will be the first to save copies of their files deep inside the new "doomsday vault," Norwegian national broadcaster NRK reported.

Yet another selling point of the new "doomsday vault" is its security from wars and conflicts. Norway has sovereignty over the archipelago owing to the 1920 Svalbard Treaty, which was signed by 42 countries and effectively made Svalbard a demilitarized zone.

Its predecessor, the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, is a secure seed bank situated on the Svalbard archipelago about 1,300 kilometers from the North Pole. The idea is to preserve a wide variety of plant seeds that are duplicate samples or "spare copies" of seeds held in gene banks worldwide to insure against the loss of seeds during large-scale regional or global crises.

Max.
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Doomsday Vaults
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 11:20:35 PM »
Max I do know from photos countries from many civilized nations have contributed seeds. Lots of seeds from the US. I have read a lot of stuff (perhaps unsubstantiated) about many of the seeds there being GM.
That makes me very unhappy. Somehow that doesn't seem like it could be true.
I cannot imagine a country like Norway allowing any GM!!
Do you happen to know?
Any references on it? Anybody?

bt

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »
Max I do know from photos countries from many civilized nations have contributed seeds. Lots of seeds from the US. I have read a lot of stuff (perhaps unsubstantiated) about many of the seeds there being GM.
That makes me very unhappy. Somehow that doesn't seem like it could be true.
I cannot imagine a country like Norway allowing any GM!!
Do you happen to know?
Any references on it? Anybody?

bt
Regarding the issue of GM seeds and the Norway Seed Vault, that has been a point of contention of mine, regarding Seed Savers Exchange and myself for years now.

I'm a lifetime member of Seed Savers Exchange (SSE) and have high regard for the organization that has grown tremendously in recent years with the growing awareness of people about their food and what's actually in it, or what they're eating.

Well several years ago when SSE had a different director, Amy Goldman, she signed a document with the Seed Vault, and SSE then began gradually transferring seed samples from their own facilities to the Norway Seed Vault.  I have asked many times to see a copy of the agreement she signed.  Not one peep.  Nobody from SSE has even acknowledged my request.  (I may not be the only one, but don't know.) 

Anyway, during the time Goldman was director, one of the founders, Kent Whealy (sp), was ousted, and in one of his letters (after being ousted) to SSE members, he stated that the agreement Amy Goldman signed was the standard agreement that any of the signatories had to sign, basically agreeing that if anyone of the other signatories wanted samples of seeds, they can request them and receive them.  Well, guess what?  One of the initial funders for building this seed vault was Monsanto!  Yep.

So the obvious question is this:  Can Monsanto just ask or petition or write the request of SSE, and then receive the seed sample they want?  It stands to reason that if they helped fund it, they also store seeds there.  See, this is the reason I don't list very many seeds with SSE.  I am a "listed member", but will not list one of several rare and unique seeds until I know the truth about what the founders, or anyone who stores seeds there, can do.  I suspect Kent may be correct, but cannot find out.

Also, I have read several times that Monsanto was one of the funders, so even knowing that, there is your big red flag.
Sorry for the rant, but hopefully I answered your question, with my somewhat limited knowledge.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 06:51:13 PM »
I had heard that Monsanto was part of it...
I still do not get why Norway would put up with such a thing...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 04:57:56 PM »
I had heard that Monsanto was part of it...
I still do not get why Norway would put up with such a thing...
My best guess is that the Norweigan government couldn't pass up the funds that presumably flowed in for allowing it to be built there. I understand the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is also involved, but that makes sense as Bill Gates and Monsanto go hand in hand.   

There's  probably a bit of prestige to be the only country in the world in charge of the stewardship of such a variety of seeds.

Another red flag is that some years ago I read that Monsanto did the very thing I suspect they might do with this seed bank.  In the Phillippines there was/is some seed bank type facility and Monsanto had access but not to everything, and they managed to ?illegally? gain samples of some of the seeds stored there, seeds that they did not have the right to use.  Maybe that's how they get their starter materials! 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 10:24:46 PM »
Depressing!