Author Topic: Ketosis and Cancer. Ketogenic diet weakens cancer cells  (Read 1541 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Ketosis and Cancer. Ketogenic diet weakens cancer cells
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 06:12:21 AM »
Hi Barb,

I'm not an expert on this, but have read that the supplement resveratrol simulates/stimulates  fasting conditions in the body, and maybe it would help people achieve ketosis then?  So, maybe there's more to resveratrol than its anti-viral function?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 06:23:04 PM »
Ilinda, You've raised some really good questions about clabbered milk and yogurt. 

If anyone would like to try pressure canning butter, it's pretty easy.  Pour melted butter into hot jars, wipe rims, place lids and rims on, and process in a few inches of water at 10# pressure 60 minutes for jelly jars, 75 minutes for pints or 90 minutes for quarts.  Once cooled and lids have vacuum sealed, refrigerate over night to help solidify.  Shake every now and then until solid to keep solids from separating back out.

Happy Mother's Day to the ladies!
A friend told me a few years ago about "dried butter".  She said it has to be mixed with non fat dry milk and when done in the right proportions, and in the right manner, apparently you end up with dried butter!  I haven't seen any but she now lives in Montana and says you can buy it there.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »
Here is something which may seem a bit random. Maybe this will help someone.
As someone who would prefer to be vegetarian or mostly, most of the time, I am still juggling this and that in the way of beliefs, concepts and my own health issues.

What I have come up with is I will gradiently start doing do a version of the Ketogenic and the SCD diets.
I am not always so strong on self discipline...

I do not want to go back to eating red meat. I don't even feel that great eating chicken... turkey is better as per the Type O diet...but I do not want a ton of animal protein...

My solution for now, which I wanted to share is, I will start mainly a ketogenic diet and allow fish and seaweed etc. (being careful of sources of fish etc.)
I have already added a lot of fat to my diet such as the butter or ghee and the coconut oil (my bulletproof coffee which I found out about from Socrates.)

It's just my thing, would prefer to eat low on the food chain. NOTE: In a survival situation, hey I will go out with a bow and arrow and catch and cook anything I can get my hands on for my family...If kids are hungry, whether it is a cow, rabbit, buck or possom I will do my best to get it.

I would eat whatever is available...I would prefer to catch and dry fish if that is possible!

So here is a link to a discussion about this stuff... fish for keto and even a vegan or vegetarian keto, info on... Bear in mind I do NOT know if these alternative forms of keto work but I do know there are a lot of people who would prefer to modulate the diet to fit existing lifestyles... I hope it works for them. I hope it works for me. Here is one discussion:
"Keto without red meat?"
https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/3dwvlg/keto_without_red_meat/
I am pretty much like you in the meat tastes department, and if I never ate much meat it would be OK, although I do like wild caught salmon, and can avoid beef and pork without any feelings of being deprived.

Somewhere on this PXTH in the past year I posted an article or two on drying fish.  The Native peoples have done it forever and one of the secrets is cutting it thin, another is hanging it in the sun.  Will try to find it and link to it.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 05:19:04 AM »
Here's a recipe for butter from full-fat dehydrated milk:
http://www.littlehouseliving.com/making-butter-from-powdered-milk.html

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »
Ilinda, Thank you so much for the detailed explanation about yogurt starter.  Am guessing this is also where kefir comes from, which your husbands starter-in-milk sounds like the equivalent of. 

Have been puzzling over how to get viable probiotics in the aftertime, and this may be the best way.  Pills lose their strength over time, and those freeze-dried yogurt solids that are marketed in #10 cans by the storage food companies strike me as probably being devoid of friendly bacteria.  Marshall's warning about gut illness on storage foods makes yogurt seem like way more than a luxury item to have.

Barb, Thanks for the heads up that butter should be grass fed.  As far as raw, did I make a mistake in pressure canning lots of pints of it this past winter?

Would love to be in the kitchen with both of you! :D
Been trying for over 10 minutes to find the article  I had promised to post, then did post, now cannot find it!!!  It was a continuation of our discussion of yogurt, kefir, buttermilk, etc., and how it all began, i.e., how we can, if necessary, start our culturing all over again.  Well just days after that, I saw an article (think Synchronicity) on internet about how the nomadic tribes made a fermented product from horses' milk and carried it in an animal skin/animal intestine, to keep it, and discovered in the process that the probiotics in the intestinal tissue converted their milk into a different product.

I had not known about the horses' milk, but had read years ago about how yak herdsmen would do something similar with yak milk, storing it in an animal intestine (cleaned, but not totally devoid of the good bacteria), and ending up with yak butter, etc.  In fact, one can envision taking whole yak milk, fresh from the yak mom, and putting it in the animal intestine vessel, then placing that vessel/container on a horse or yak, and allowing it to be jostled around for hours on end, and at a temperature of 80-100 deg. F.  Soon there would be fermemtation, then the fat, being jostled cnstantly, might actually turn to butter at the top of the container, above the yogurt.

Well, if I find the article again, will re-post, and maybe in several places.
I

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »
Here is something which may seem a bit random. Maybe this will help someone.
As someone who would prefer to be vegetarian or mostly, most of the time, I am still juggling this and that in the way of beliefs, concepts and my own health issues.

What I have come up with is I will gradiently start doing do a version of the Ketogenic and the SCD diets.
I am not always so strong on self discipline...

I do not want to go back to eating red meat. I don't even feel that great eating chicken... turkey is better as per the Type O diet...but I do not want a ton of animal protein...

My solution for now, which I wanted to share is, I will start mainly a ketogenic diet and allow fish and seaweed etc. (being careful of sources of fish etc.)
I have already added a lot of fat to my diet such as the butter or ghee and the coconut oil (my bulletproof coffee which I found out about from Socrates.)

It's just my thing, would prefer to eat low on the food chain. NOTE: In a survival situation, hey I will go out with a bow and arrow and catch and cook anything I can get my hands on for my family...If kids are hungry, whether it is a cow, rabbit, buck or possom I will do my best to get it.

I would eat whatever is available...I would prefer to catch and dry fish if that is possible!

So here is a link to a discussion about this stuff... fish for keto and even a vegan or vegetarian keto, info on... Bear in mind I do NOT know if these alternative forms of keto work but I do know there are a lot of people who would prefer to modulate the diet to fit existing lifestyles... I hope it works for them. I hope it works for me. Here is one discussion:
"Keto without red meat?"
https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/3dwvlg/keto_without_red_meat/
I am pretty much like you in the meat tastes department, and if I never ate much meat it would be OK, although I do like wild caught salmon, and can avoid beef and pork without any feelings of being deprived.

Somewhere on this PXTH in the past year I posted an article or two on drying fish.  The Native peoples have done it forever and one of the secrets is cutting it thin, another is hanging it in the sun.  Will try to find it and link to it.
Yeah, that was a great article you had posted on drying fish.
Was thinking about that, the other day.
It may be in one of those Boards like Surviving In Place, or Surviving On The Move etc.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
Hi Barb,

I'm not an expert on this, but have read that the supplement resveratrol simulates/stimulates  fasting conditions in the body, and maybe it would help people achieve ketosis then?  So, maybe there's more to resveratrol than its anti-viral function?
Hi R.R. I somehow missed your post. I will look into that...
Interesting idea.  :)