Author Topic: What have you done this week to prepare?  (Read 11717 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
What have you done this week to prepare?
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:11:11 AM »
There is a thread "What have you done this week?" over in the old forum,
Planet X and 2012 Survivor's Town Hall. As many of you know, that old forum is there as an archive.
http://planetxforecast.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
Prariesage 07  started the thread in the last forum; I feel it is appropriate to copy his starting post here.
- Yowbarb

NOTE: Generally I will not copy/paste old posts here, just a few. What I will be putting here are survival
articles books references and links to survival videos. Members can carry over survival data they see on
the old board. If Moderators and Members feel some survival information is noteworthy and they want to
be sure the newer Members see it, it can be copied on this new Forum.
Here it is:

============================================
(Prairiesage07)

Posted on Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 12:46 pm:       

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometimes hearing what other people have done to prepare is just the stimulant we need to
take on more preps or training. So let's hear what you all did this week to get ready.

http://planetxforecast.com/discus/messages/368/11860.html
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:22:06 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: What have you done this week to prepare?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:18:56 AM »
Dania 22 had some great posts about preparing for survival.
- Yowbarb

Here's Dania's post of
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 
========================================
A productive week....my original list:

1. Food, water, shelter
2. Identification (and duplicates if possible) I.D., Passport, Birth certificates, Social security cards
3. Guns and Ammo
4. Magnesium Fire Starter
5. Strike Anywhere Matches
6. Baby/children supplies (including games)
7. Water purification pills
8. Radiation detector/dosimeter
9. Signal Mirror
10. Survival saw/multipurpose tools
11. Machete and sheath
12. Water purification pump/filters
13. Surgical kit with sutures
14. Lidocaine (for pain)
15. Snake bite kit
16. Benadryl for (stings)
17. Bowie combat knife (steel)& sharpener
18. Kabar/Glock (sawback)
19. 5 gallon water collapsable containers
20. Binoculars ( a good one)
21. Duct tape
22. Rope strong and sturdy (a minimum of 40 feet)
23. Tarp
24. Rain ponchos
25. First aid kit
26. Compass (and instructions)
27. feminine products
28. Flashlights (non battery preferable) (Shakr)
29. Gas mask (adults/child size) and extra filters
30. Atropine Injection for nerve gas exposure (you would have to know someone who can get this for you)
31. Thermal blankets
32. Radio with hand crank
33. Bug repellent
34. Emergency tube tent
35. Port-o-potty and contents)
36. Flares
37. Whistles (for everyone)
38. Zipties
39. Instant cold packs
40. Paper, pen, for record keeping
41. Dual backpack ( for me I purchasing everything in "pairs", just in case one backpack get lost)
42. Any medicines, antibiotic, vitamins, you are able to get your hands on now.
43. Seeds/sprouts
44. Canteens

Have got all of the above except:

1. Food (continuous buy, freeze- dry)
2. Shelter (stumped here)
3. Water (continuous buy)
4. Children supplies (Games, clothes, boots ...
5. Water purification pills (more)
6. Dosi meters (individualized if possible)
7. Signal mirror
8. Machete & sheath
9. Lidocaine
10. Bowie combat knife (steel)
11. Duct tape (more)
12. Rope (2 more)
13. Feminine products (plenty)
14. Port-o-potty
15. Whistles
16. Zipties
17. Paper & pen
18. Backpacks (on order)
19. Still waiting on the passports......

I'm still revising and adding as I go. Phil, colloidal silver... thank you, will be added to the list. ..

Got my complete health checkup done several months ago, according to the Dr.  "I'm a brand new baby"! ......

Don't know about oil of oregano though, but I will definitely look it up.

Dania22
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:00:24 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:15:36 AM »
These are some thoughts I added in reply to Danias' post
on the old Board, regarding the need to have plenty of goods to protect the hands...etc.
Yowbarb

====================================
Posted on (Old Board) Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 12:57 pm: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dania, looks like a great list. Going to come back and go over it and add some things to my own list,
no doubt.

One thing has crossed my mind several times lately, how when things get rough people could have a
lot of minor abrasions, cuts rashes infections and so on, on their skin which could be a problem if there
are enough of them.

People may be doing unfamiliar things, possibility of minor falls, scrapes etc. blisters from unfamiliar
work.
Their pets might get freaked out too and there will be more scratches than usual.
Everything to protect the skin needs to be stocked up on.
All manner of garden gloves, all sizes.
Thorn -proof, extra heavy duty work gloves, all sizes.
Lotion, antibiotic ointments, small bandaids, and cotton gloves to put on at the end of the day
before sleep.
Indoor work gloves - some will need to be latex-free.

All The Best,
Barb

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »
I have been purchasing dried food like rice and beans at the local bulk food store and storing them in bins. We may need them sooner than we think with all the unemployment. I am in Michigan and it's hitting 21% (even though they claim its 15%).  My husband just got laid off again, so we are also preparing for life before PX as well as after.
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 03:25:40 PM »
Linda I hope your husband finds work somewhere soon I live in Michigan and it is pretty bad and I think crime will keep going up I hope everyone here keeps their ears and eyes open all the time you never know when someone will think they need what you have.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:49:58 AM »
Linda I hope your husband finds work somewhere soon I live in Michigan and it is pretty bad and I think crime will keep going up I hope everyone here keeps their ears and eyes open all the time you never know when someone will think they need what you have.

I agree with you on this, 1969quartz0
time for everyone to have some sort of security system. Of course, it can even be of the homemade variety: Inexpensive, ingenious
and jerry-rigged.
Whatever can be done legally to protect one's home and family should be done now. As you said the goods and supplies could
sometimes draw unwanted attention. Some common sense is in order in where and how it is stored and the security of these things.
All The Best,
Barb
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:09:45 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 08:56:20 AM »
I have been purchasing dried food like rice and beans at the local bulk food store and storing them in bins. We may need them sooner than we think with all the unemployment. I am in Michigan and it's hitting 21% (even though they claim its 15%).  My husband just got laid off again, so we are also preparing for life before PX as well as after.

Linda, that is well done on storing more food.
I have found that items to supplement and moisturize the grains and beans are a good idea. A person could also stock up on
bulk olive oil, broths (unless they are vegan of course) canned tomato soups; salsas. I am thinking the jars of minced garlic
would be a good item. Not sure the shelf life but that puts some pizazz into spaghetti, ramen rice etc.
Well I know you don't need advice just sharing some thoughts....

Best of luck with the whole economic situation there.
Barb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:04:25 AM »

Two things I accomplished in recent 1-2 weeks,
Daughter and I found a cheaper but in many ways better place to live. Much Lower payments. 
Indirectly this could help in eventually getting the land we need and the supplies. It's a start.

Got my YOWUSA Membership

Got Marshall's books and whole study system so I can be better-informed and also share materials.

- Yowbarb

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 10:22:26 AM »
Hey Barb, I have been thinking of seasoning or soup bases that might keep for a long time. So thanks for the info, I had forgot oils, but will add to the list.  A lot of products have short shelf life, but I would think dried seasoning packets would be valuable.  I will have to investigate drying some seasonings of my own, maybe I can come up with a combination of things.

I am hoping Michigan will come around again, they are bringing in a battery plant, and building solar panels is becoming a big product here as well.  My husband hopes to get back to work after the first of the year, so lets hope all goes well.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 12:06:28 PM »
Hey Barb, I have been thinking of seasoning or soup bases that might keep for a long time. So thanks for the info, I had forgot oils, but will add to the list.  A lot of products have short shelf life, but I would think dried seasoning packets would be valuable.  I will have to investigate drying some seasonings of my own, maybe I can come up with a combination of things.

I am hoping Michigan will come around again, they are bringing in a battery plant, and building solar panels is becoming a big product here as well.  My husband hopes to get back to work after the first of the year, so lets hope all goes well.

Hi again Linda,
I'm not an expert on shelf life - but I do think the olive oil and dried seasonings and some of the thngs I had mentioned would keep a long long time.
If your family likes the tomato flavor, the canned and jarred tomato products are pretty inexpensive and supplement things like the dried legumes and rice etc. I think I will try to get back to rice more. At times it tastes really good to me with just a little olive oil and soy sauce or sometimes just butter. I just had a random thought not sure many people would like this. When my kids were little (but old enough to eat popcorn, I would pop it up then add a sprinkle of either soy sauce or a good quality brewers yeast. That was on top of the butter. There seemed to be quite a difference between yeast as to taste. I had some really delicious stuff once. The kids loved buttered popcorn with the brewers yeast sprinkled on it. Powerful amount of nutrition, dried, possibly would store OK.
I also used to buy jars of wheat germ and sprinkle it on cereals.

These are all pretty easy to get and really stretch the nutrition. (I'm  reminding myself to get these things on my list.)

- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 12:19:24 PM »
Haven't actually done this just working on list:

Flour
Sugar
Baking powder
baking soda
brown sugar
sea salt
mollasses
honey
jam
corn meal
brown rice
white rice
spelt
kamut
millet
wheat germ
brewers yeast
tahini (sesame butter)
miso in a jar
popcorn
butter in a can
ramen noodles
spaghetti sauce
canned tomato sauce
spaghetti sauce
salsa
pepper
spices
dried soup mixes
jars of minced garlic
Generic crisco etc. (not so fancy but it stretches and you can
                           cook and bake with it)
olive oil
tempura batter
Yogurt making kit - culture
batteries to keep it going
Milkman powdered whole milk
powdered dry milk
evaporated milk
baby formulas
baby bottles etc.
sprouting kit
mung bean seeds
alfalfa sprout seeds
mushroom growing kit
Felafel mix
Also:
super bulk oil
Super large soy sauce
smaller bottles tamari fermented soysauce
Charimen Iriko macrobiotic small dried fish for soups
Kohkoh macrobiotic baby cereal (dried toasted whole brown rice, etc)
I used to give it to my first babies.
You cook it gently in purified water and a pinch of sea salt)
Dentie natural macrobiotic toothpaste powder made of sea salt and dried burnt eggplant
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:27:08 PM by Yowbarb »

Ericpittenger

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 12:23:54 PM »
Keep in mind that most plastic containers are not very good for long term storage of moist or wet goods.  Most oils can slowly evaporate through plastic, and some oils can actually break down the plastic over time.  Also exposure to sunlight or extreme temperatures can break down plastics.  Dry goods should be okay in plastic containers, if kept in a controlled environment.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 12:29:11 PM »
Keep in mind that most plastic containers are not very good for long term storage of moist or wet goods.  Most oils can slowly evaporate through plastic, and some oils can actually break down the plastic over time.  Also exposure to sunlight or extreme temperatures can break down plastics.  Dry goods should be okay in plastic containers, if kept in a controlled environment.

Eric you're right a person needs to be careful about trying to store things in plastic.
- Yowbarb

Pbutter72

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 07:33:17 AM »
Not to get off topic, but to add to Ericpittenger's post-- I agree, plastics are not great long term containers--
What I've done-- to save money, was to post on the "parent's wall" of my children's school (or local market, coffee shop) a flyer for glass jar donations (old mayonaisse, coffee, pickle jars). A lot of people are pretty responsive and are glad to oblige..
Oh, and I am not above trash picking-- on trash/recycling days-- one can find all sorts of useful items that can be given new life..

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 03:11:10 PM »
PButter

Mason jars are may favorite storage containers, my only concern in long term storage is they are breakable. But I do home canning and fermenting in the jars as well as freezing.

I was lucky this summer in that a friend of my daughters was moving and had about 4 cases of jars she was going to throw out, my daughter snatched them up for me.