Author Topic: What have you done this week to prepare?  (Read 12746 times)

Moses

Re: What have you done this week to prepare?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 05:13:53 PM »
mylar and oxygen absorbers work great for dry foods like wheat berries, rice and so on.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 05:10:10 AM »
Thanks Moses, I looked up a site to get these from and found
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com

Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 08:54:34 AM »
P Butter and Linda,
I know what you mean - glass jars are my favorite for storing also. Of course
we do need to take into account the possible earth changes during the crossover time.

http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=88.0

We now have a "Food Storage" Topic here.
(I had started one in the old forum called Food storage data and ideas, MREs etc.)
http://planetxforecast.com/discus/messages/928/534.html?1248509086

Will post there some ideas, meanwhile I would add a few things to the preparation list
foam rubber padding, styrofoam beads pieces of cardboard etc. to pack under, over and
in - between the glass jars and bottles.
All The Best,

-Yowbarb

Bildo

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
For sure get the Oil of Oregano. I use it every time I get a jaw or gum infection.[My teeth are in horrible shape]. Two pills every four hours or so and the infection is gone in a couple of days. I get mine from Puritan's Pride. I now have two cases of it since we probably won't be able to get it after Dec. 31st due to Codex Alimentarious. Get it now. Only a few weeks left.

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 11:09:14 AM »
This is my first post on the new site.  A little intimidating. Here goes: This week the temperature dropped to zero degrees and lower.  My husband and I decided to practice being thrifty with our propane and firewood. We arranged our open/closed interior doors so that the wood stove heats the living room, bathroom and one bedroom on the main floor. We set the furnace thermostat on 55 degrees, and heated our basement office with a small blue flame propane heater.  All worked well as long as we had several layers of clothing to get from one warm area to another. Unfortunately, the thermostat is near the wood stove, and it was tricked (by the closed doors) into thinking the whole house was at 55 degrees. WRONG!  Yesterday morning the kitchen was at 34. We could see our breath in all the unheated areas. We had left the cupboard doors open to avoid frozen pipes and canned goods, but we've made the decision that perhaps we don't need to be quite that thrifty.  Our magnificent wood pile is shrinking and it's a long time until spring, but we'll figure out another way to be thrifty, I think.

On another note, I've ordered a big variety of heirloom seeds (supposedly enough to seed an acre of vegetables.  I'll report when I receive it.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 04:43:30 PM »
I am hoping that if there is a strong enough storage bin, set down under the dome, a concrete box, with styrofoam all under the glass jars and all in  between the rows, that there won't be much breakage.
 - Yowbarb
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:47:28 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 05:00:59 PM »
This is my first post on the new site.  A little intimidating. Here goes: This week the temperature dropped to zero degrees and lower.  My husband and I decided to practice being thrifty with our propane and firewood. We arranged our open/closed interior doors so that the wood stove heats the living room, bathroom and one bedroom on the main floor. We set the furnace thermostat on 55 degrees, and heated our basement office with a small blue flame propane heater.  All worked well as long as we had several layers of clothing to get from one warm area to another. Unfortunately, the thermostat is near the wood stove, and it was tricked (by the closed doors) into thinking the whole house was at 55 degrees. WRONG!  Yesterday morning the kitchen was at 34. We could see our breath in all the unheated areas. We had left the cupboard doors open to avoid frozen pipes and canned goods, but we've made the decision that perhaps we don't need to be quite that thrifty.  Our magnificent wood pile is shrinking and it's a long time until spring, but we'll figure out another way to be thrifty, I think.

On another note, I've ordered a big variety of heirloom seeds (supposedly enough to seed an acre of vegetables.  I'll report when I receive it.

Hi Montanabarb
I enjoy reading your posts and a lot there we can learn from you.
My only experience with wood heating was in our little trailer up in the WA state woods. We had an iron stove I had ordered from a Sears catalog. Usually it is quite moderate there but that winter there were little dead birds fallen down on the snow -not a good sign. During the worst of the cold time I took the kids into town to a cozy warm motel.
For the most part the wood stove worked well. I awoke sort of automatically about 2 AM to put more wood on the fire.

There is a type of space heater Bob Vila promotes. Eden Pure.  http://edenpurestore.com/price_match?gclid=CLiL3LWh3J4CFQeenAodch64LQ

http://edenpurestore.com/heater_questions  It is electric but if a group had a electric generator it would definitely help keep people warm and alive. A person would have to be knowledgeable on how to utilyze a generator whow it could be hooked up so it wouldn't put out toxic fumes in an underground shelter or dome. If the wood ran out and some months left this heater might be a help.

Yowbarb

Dania22

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 12:51:01 PM »
Hi there guys, blessing for a prosperous and healthy new year. I remember someone stating back on the "old" site, that having a dental and physical exam was vital. I second that. Went to the dentist about couple weeks ago and had a complete dental exam done. WOW!! What I found out was pretty scary, (for me anyhow, as I am still afraid of the dentist).

I needed not one, but TWO root canals, and a tooth extraction!! Try and get me to sit still for one root canal, much-less two! LOL, actually...scream out loud!! Seriously, I ask the dentist if she could put me out, to which she stated, the "strongest" stuff that she had was the gas and referred me to another dentist that probably could.

Anyways, this dentist was awesome! I didn't feel a thing! He had an injection that put you in a twilight sleep, so I had everything done at once. I know, I know.....yes I am one of the biggest chicken out there when it comes to having any kind of dental work performed. Thank God it's done, so thank you Phil (if I recall correctly) for that kind suggestion. Imagine not having a dentist around?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:53:26 PM by Dania22 »

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 04:20:34 PM »
Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!  This fall my husband and I purchased a generator, and had a transfer box installed in our house which allows us to turn the power from the electrical box over to the generator box. We have a plug on the outside of the house which enables us to just plug the generator in, and away we go.  I became concerned as to how you would be able to heat your house in the winter if the power fails since the furnace fan has no plug which would allow you to plug it into the generator.  So i researched the problem and came across the transer box, and tada, we would be able to run the furnace.  Most important if you live in MI and its winter.

I had looked into those heaters you mentioned Barb, and of course they wouldn't work either if you lost power.  We do not have a fireplace in our house, and i did look into a wood burner stove, but it requires a lot of work to install, so for now we have the generator.
That wasn't exactly this week, but more like this fall :-[  Hope everyone is keeping warm.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »
Linda I live in Michigan as well it is cold today, I put in a big natural gas generator with a auto transfer switch for my parents this fall it can run most of their house I put 26 circuits on it everything important they are gone in the winter and it would not be life threatening but a big disaster if the power went off for more then a day or two. It was a lot more work then I thought it took one Sun. and two long days after work with pad work gas line and electrical work. but they feel a lot better leaving home now, have a good day and keep warm.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 12:14:06 PM »
Hi there guys, blessing for a prosperous and healthy new year. I remember someone stating back on the "old" site, that having a dental and physical exam was vital. I second that. Went to the dentist about couple weeks ago and had a complete dental exam done. WOW!! What I found out was pretty scary, (for me anyhow, as I am still afraid of the dentist).

I needed not one, but TWO root canals, and a tooth extraction!! Try and get me to sit still for one root canal, much-less two! LOL, actually...scream out loud!! Seriously, I ask the dentist if she could put me out, to which she stated, the "strongest" stuff that she had was the gas and referred me to another dentist that probably could.

Anyways, this dentist was awesome! I didn't feel a thing! He had an injection that put you in a twilight sleep, so I had everything done at once. I know, I know.....yes I am one of the biggest chicken out there when it comes to having any kind of dental work performed. Thank God it's done, so thank you Phil (if I recall correctly) for that kind suggestion. Imagine not having a dentist around?

Dania VWD - very well done for confronting all that and getting the dental work. That is definitely
on my to do list.
You actually did it so that's great
!

Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »
Linda I live in Michigan as well it is cold today, I put in a big natural gas generator with a auto transfer switch for my parents this fall it can run most of their house I put 26 circuits on it everything important they are gone in the winter and it would not be life threatening but a big disaster if the power went off for more then a day or two. It was a lot more work then I thought it took one Sun. and two long days after work with pad work gas line and electrical work. but they feel a lot better leaving home now, have a good day and keep warm.

1969quartz0 that is very commendable to be able to rig that up for your parents. Lucky to have you. Skills like this will be needed in the future.
Keep on a keeping on all you people
I like the oil of oregano suggestion too...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 12:18:12 PM »
For sure get the Oil of Oregano. I use it every time I get a jaw or gum infection.[My teeth are in horrible shape]. Two pills every four hours or so and the infection is gone in a couple of days. I get mine from Puritan's Pride. I now have two cases of it since we probably won't be able to get it after Dec. 31st due to Codex Alimentarious. Get it now. Only a few weeks left.

Bildo,
Good addition to the survival list!
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »
Hi All! What have you done this week to prepare for survival?

All I really did this week was once again start using a natural method again to help
heal myself. I amped up my nutrition too, adding some supplements and kelp.
I used to do that more in earlier decades and am reminding myself to use
some of those old ideas - such as using aloe vera - and be more mindful of future
survival for me or others and
what will be needed.

- Yowbarb

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 02:35:11 PM »
Hi Barb and everyone.

This week I went through some of my supplies, purchased a few things at a local sale and started a list of stuff I still don't have.  Not much but keeping it on my mind.

Take care all, have a great weekend!

Linda