Author Topic: Plants for non - food survival uses  (Read 10306 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Plants for non - food survival uses
« on: July 18, 2010, 09:22:51 AM »
This Topic is about using plants for survival uses other than eating them.
The first post will be about mosquito repelling plants.
First a story -we were starting to get mosquitos pretty bad here in central west Florida. Then after some good rains we noticed the mosquitos moving off - hardly any.
We had these clumps of what looked like ridicoulusly high and fast growing grass all around the back fence. They just sprung up when the winter was over and are still growing fast. We didn't have much time for the lawn or yard after we moved here so they just continued to grow. My daughter who is here wondered if there was a connection between the plants and the mosquitos moving off. We had no clue what the plants were but finally figured out they are not grass.
She googled and it looks like we have a lot of citronella growing in our yard. Not totally sure, but we think so.
The previous owners must have planted them. We told our new yard man to please just leave the plants along the fence so hopefully he will. They are 3, some 4 feet tall. (Didn't have anyone working on yard so no one yanked up the plants.)

Here is an image or two if I can get them to open up, otherwise a link.  Article farther below.-  Yowbarb

http://pesteducation.unl.edu/pesticide/UserFiles/Image/Citronella.JPG 

Do It Yourself site http://www.doityourself.com/scat/articles
"Plants that Repel Mosquitoes"

Mosquitos are blood-sucking insects that can make enjoying the outdoors a challenge. Repelling them usually involves using chemicals on your body and in your yard. Plants can also be used for those looking for a more natural way to repel these bugs. Try planting these plants in your garden to repel mosquitoes.

Catnip
Although catnip may make your yard more appealing to stray cats, it's also a very effective mosquito repellent. Some studies show that the oil from this plant is 10 times more effective than the chemical DEET. Ideal places to plant catnip include on your deck and around your patio.

Marigolds
Marigolds have a unique smell that many insects, including mosquitoes, find offensive. They thrive in direct sunlight and work well when planted in gardens with a lot of natural light.

Rosemary
This pot-growing herb gives off an oil that's mosquitoes dislike. Once mosquito season is over, you can use this herb in your cooking.

Citronella Grass
Citronella grass is a tropical plant that grows six feet tall. Manufacturers grow these plants and distill the citral from the blades to use in mosquito repellents and other items such as scented cosmetics and food flavoring. But you can plant this grass in your backyard as a natural skin repellent if you have the room. Grooming may be necessary to keep it looking neat.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/4-plants-that-repel-mosquitoes#ixzz0u3Ac05vM

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Plants for non - food survival uses
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 09:25:21 AM »
BTW everything is growing like a jungle and so healthy and green and no spots. Many people think there is a lot of toxicity coming up into the air of the Gulf because of the oil spill disaster, and coming down as toxic rain. That makes sense that would happen, I am not sure if it is or not. So far, apparantly good here.
- Yowbarb

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »
how many bees have you been noticing, how r fruits and veg doin?, i lost plenty of seedlings this year to bugs as we stopped using all pesticides municipality, and have noticed a lot less flower being polinated, asd other then on  the rose bush i haven't seen any bees this year just the fat bumble bees :(
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 06:50:36 AM »
how many bees have you been noticing, how r fruits and veg doin?, i lost plenty of seedlings this year to bugs as we stopped using all pesticides municipality, and have noticed a lot less flower being polinated, asd other then on  the rose bush i haven't seen any bees this year just the fat bumble bees :(

We do not spray our plants either, and have had more bug problems this year, not sure why. But yes, a lot less bees, and that concerns me greatly. Yes, the big fat ones have been around, but not the little bumble bees, very sad for mankind. A lot of people believe chemtrails have disturbed the bees because of the spraying.

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:17:02 AM »
grow them in artificial foam, found at gardening stores for seeds, and bring them in during the winter, keep them in smaller pots easy to handle, trim them down like any odorous plant when you bring them in the roots/ bulb will survive and then you can put it back out during the spring. :D
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »
Another thought related to this thread re plants and the time after, i know many folks here r into seed storage and such it is definitely a start but another useful skill for plants that don't seed well is cloning. Buy rooting  hormone as part of your kid and/or learn how to make your own it "stays" for between 4-6 years if kept chilled (say in the cellar) practice now on flowers and vegetable plants you will find from a good tomato plant if you grow say 10 seeds some will do better then others, theses ones r the ones to clone and you can do it the life of the plant with the seedling being an indoor plant, now not all clones will be so resilient as the tomato, cukes and mellon/ vined clones r the hardest as they don't take transplant well, but if you are having top producing plants your making the most of your gardens. for you in warm climates who can grow year round it's a real bonus. 8)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 06:57:16 AM »
Another thought related to this thread re plants and the time after, i know many folks here r into seed storage and such it is definitely a start but another useful skill for plants that don't seed well is cloning. Buy rooting  hormone as part of your kid and/or learn how to make your own it "stays" for between 4-6 years if kept chilled (say in the cellar) practice now on flowers and vegetable plants you will find from a good tomato plant if you grow say 10 seeds some will do better then others, theses ones r the ones to clone and you can do it the life of the plant with the seedling being an indoor plant, now not all clones will be so resilient as the tomato, cukes and mellon/ vined clones r the hardest as they don't take transplant well, but if you are having top producing plants your making the most of your gardens. for you in warm climates who can grow year round it's a real bonus. 8)

Hello Deathanyl
Thanks for posting this. - Plant cloning is a subject I didn't know much about - and it is important to
learn this. I found a reference people can look at if they need to.
BG Hydro site - Better Grow Hydro
http://www.bghydro.com/bgh/static/articles/1205_cloning.asp
Plant Cloning Explained
"Cloning has been around for centuries. Cloning allows the gardener to replicate a genetically
identical plant from a parent plant. The clone will have the exact same characteristics as the mother
plant, the same growth habit, disease resistance, fruit shape, flower color and yield potential..."

Article continues. I am going to post the whole article here and also in one of the Topics on food growing.
Thanks,
Yowbarb 

http://www.bghydro.com/bgh/static/articles/1205_cloning.asp
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:03:18 AM by Yowbarb »

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 08:51:57 AM »
hey glad i can help, another trick foks should learn is how to "cure" seeds so they can be planted, not all seed types just need to be dried, some in fact prefer not to , or need a snap of cold to activate (a fake winter) so once you know what your going to want in your garden, research the plant in depth and find how to harvest seeds from it so the seeds can be replanted. cloning is the preferred method, but you need a few originals to clone from!

second if your at the stage were you have a place you think is secure and you want to try to tough it out in (isolated rural property etc...), or if you have a green house now on your property, i suggest you buy a small (nautical style) wind mill device, keep it in storage until you need it, the nautical ones can get wet and r high efficiency, three of them on 1 tank battery (Sutrrette) can keep 1 x 1000 watt metal halliade light going for years and years, if your buying the light also, as you should for the greenhouse (makes warmth for cold nights and extends grow time of all in green house plants) make sure you have a few spare bulbs.

growing with artificial light is not a hard skill but in volcanic winter it may be hard to find equipment, and the wind mill will not short in solar flares as long as it's not erect and powered @ the time. As I always tell folks practice now so when the lights go out and such your ready, no learning curve. trust me fresh vegitables will be worth there weight in gold once there is no sunshine.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 12:58:24 PM »
Hemp is supposed to be a good thing to grow for its many uses.
- Yowbarb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp#Food
Wikipedia.... just to kick things off... sorry if too long. Supposedly it grows fast and has so many uses; it could be a lifesaver in the Aftertimes...?
Uses
Hemp is used for a wide variety of purposes, including the manufacture of cordage of varying tensile strength, clothing, and nutritional products. The bast fibres can be used in 100% hemp products, but are commonly blended with other organic fibres such as flax, cotton or silk, for apparel and furnishings, most commonly at a 55%/45% hemp/cotton blend. The inner two fibres of hemp are more woody, and are more often used in non-woven items and other industrial applications, such as mulch, animal bedding and litter. The oil from the fruits ("seeds") oxidizes (commonly, though inaccurately, called "drying") to become solid on exposure to air, similar to linseed oil, and is sometimes used in the manufacture of oil-based paints, in creams as a moisturizing agent, for cooking, and in plastics. Hemp seeds have been used in bird seed mix as well.[14] Hempseed is also widely used as a fishing bait.

Food

Shelled hemp seeds
Hemp seeds contain all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary to maintain healthy human life.[15] The seeds can be eaten raw, ground into a meal, sprouted, made into hemp milk (akin to soy milk), prepared as tea, and used in baking. The fresh leaves can also be eaten in salads. Products range from cereals to frozen waffles, hemp tofu to nut butters. A few companies produce value added hemp seed items that include the seed oils, whole hemp grain (which is sterilized by law), hulled hemp seed (the whole seed without the mineral rich outer shell), hemp flour, hemp cake (a by-product of pressing the seed for oil) and hemp protein powder. Hemp is also used in some organic cereals, for non-dairy milk[16] somewhat similar to soy and nut milks, and for non-dairy hemp "ice cream."[17]

Within the UK, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has treated hemp as purely a non-food crop. Seed appears on the UK market as a legal food product, and cultivation licences are available for this purpose. In North America, hemp seed food products are sold, typically in health food stores or through mail order. The United States Department of Agriculture estimates that "the market potential for hemp seed as a food ingredient is unknown. However, it probably will remain a small market, like those for sesame and poppy seeds."[18]

Nutrition
 This article appears to contradict the article Essential amino acid. Please see discussion on the linked talk page. Please do not remove this message until the contradictions are resolved.
Typical nutritional analysis of hemp nut (hulled hemp seeds)[19]
Calories/100 g 567
Protein 30.6
Carbohydrate 10.9
Dietary fiber 6
Fat 47.2
Saturated fat 5.2
Palmitic 16:0 3.4
Stearic 18:0 1.5
Monounsaturated fat 5.8
Oleic 18:1 (Omega-9) 5.8
Polyunsaturated fat 36.2
Linoleic 18:2 (Omega-6) 27.6
Linolenic 18:3 (Omega-3) 8.7
Linolenic 18:3 (Omega-6) 0.8
Cholesterol 0 mg
Moisture 5
Ash 6.6
Vitamin A (B-Carotene) 4 IU
Thiamine (Vit B1) 1 mg
Riboflavin (Vit B2) 1 mg
Vitamin B6 0 mg
Niacin (Vit B3) 0 mg
Vitamin C 1.0 mg
Vitamin D 0 IU
Vitamin E 9 IU
Sodium 9 mg
Calcium 74 mg
Iron 4.7 mg

About 30

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 02:05:34 PM »
 :o great post Barb.... and very true, if hemp were legal in America, it would have developed much differently, and not just the smoking kind! :P But it's ease of growth and short life cycle makes it a far superior product then trees, cotton, and fossil fuels, but the families of the 1920's wanted it closed out and it was. but i do recommend a vegi loom as a piece of equipment in your survival kit if you can as you'd have a distinctive trade item of cloth, rope and paper sure to be in short supply!

personally i went with the still, and wood fuel production as my major trade items, I'm sure i'll be growing many crops but mostly for our community use.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 04:31:23 PM »
Mostly weaponery, but i also know how to weave living trees into homes, takes bout 10-20 years depending on how old the trees r when you start. not as useful up in my cold climate, but still got the food medicine,cloth, paper, and weapon angle so guess i'll be building with stone and salvaged though wood after 5 years will be sh*t, unless i encounter a fam or tribe that has taken over one of the 500 or so old school milling operations still in existance.

Often i encourage others that if you can't get your own survival place due to money, or circumstance, scout out any place, there will not be private property or land rights after chaos, so if you know of an amasing isolated cottage on a clean lake and you like it just remember it. make a map if you need to for others, and plan to seize it, just have what you need @ home to set your elf up swet there and get there ie generator, fire power, fuel, month or two of canned goods, and a low fuel required 4 wheeler.

Body armor of the sport persuasion is also a worthy addition to the survival kit if you don't have the 4 wheeler as not only will it keep you warm, but it can keep you safe on the long walk to where ever your going.

As another side note if any urban dwellers do get a 4 wheeler disable it in your garage and do not leave the battery in it unless you add a small 6"x12" solar plate to keep it charged, as it will die on you in storage, but remove a wire or part (something easy to disable the machine) so it can't be taken from you in the short or long term, these toys r prone to theft. i have friend lose 3 4 wheelers in a big city, once @ a cost of a garage door to boot!

If your very creative/ technical you can get 4 wheelers that run on alcohol, i have intakes and Carbs for all my vehicles for burning alcohol, as a gasifier does sound sweet but is only practical on a custom vehicle, and any rotting plant life can be made into fuel.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »
TEA TREE OIL is a valuable substance to know about. Please Note: It is not for everybody.
There are precautions listed in the Health Answers UK article below.
http://www.health-answers.co.uk/tea_tree_oil.htm
ALSO: http://www.ehow.com/how_5136060_make-tea-tree-oil.html ehow How To Make Tea Tree Oil        - Yowbarb
Health Answers UK

Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)

Tea tree oil, which is derived from the leaves of the Australian paper bark tree has been a traditional remedy among Australian Aboriginals for centuries, and was used by Australian troops for battlefield injuries in the First World War. It is now  well known in Europe and the US for its antiseptic properties, and is used in shower gels, toothpastes, mouthwash and face cleansers, to cure skin complaints, as a deodorant, to treat cuts and burns, and as an insect and louse repellent.

The active consituents are terpenoids, which have powerful antiseptic and antifungal activity. The compound terpinen-4-ol is the most abundant and is thought to be responsible for most of tea tree oil's antimicrobial activity.

Tea tree oil has been found to be effective for acne, athlete's foot, boils, dandruff, eczema, periodontal (gum) disease, psoriasis, thrush, vaginitis and a variety of other localised infections including MRSA.

Safety
Tea tree oil even in undiluted form has been used by many people to treat topical infections without reported side-effects. However it can be irritant to some people, may cause intestinal discomfort and diarrhoea if taken by mouth (because it kills beneficial gut bacteria), and may give rise to allergic reactions ranging from mild contact dermatitis to severe blisters and rashes (rare).  Despite its widespread availability for use in controlling fleas and skin infections in cats and dogs it should not be used on kittens or even adult cats  as there is evidence that it is highly toxic to cats even when used externally (causing ataxia, muscle weakness, liver, brain and kidney damage).

There have been warnings that tea tree oil should not be taken internally, even in small quantities, because it may can cause immune system disturbances and potentially fatal central nervous system depression (excessive drowsiness, sleepiness, confusion, coma). However the evidence for such effects is anecdotal and weak. It should possibly be remembered that tea tree oil is an effective natural alternative to various prescription drugs, and as such may become the target of disingenuous attacks designed to limit its use as a replacement for such drugs.

There have also been reports of tea tree oil having both oestrogenic and anti-androgenic effects. According to reports originally published in the New England Journal of Medicine and then in New Scientist magazine, three boys aged four, seven and ten developed breast tissue (gynaecomastia) after having been exposed to shampoos and lotions containing tea tree oil or lavender oil. As a precaution, young males, people with hormone-sensitive cancers or pregnant or nursing women should probably avoid tea tree oil or products containing it.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 07:48:57 AM »
May what to brush up on hand pollination with the things to come.

http://www.pollinator.com/hand_pollination.htm

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs398

Also posted at "Lost Arts" section.

http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=2128.msg27931#msg27931

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »
BK thanks for the post,
Yowbarb

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 11:36:01 PM »
hey this auzi tree oil... is it something they are now able to grow in other parts of the world, guess i could google it but it's late and i'm just curious as not all of oz is sunny and nice they have a Canada like area.. so if it's a tree that can grow there i may be interested in growing it here. i grow a bunch of crazy herbals, i just got a bunch of seeds from an importer and am putting them in tomorrow the ones that need to be placed b4 a winter so they get cold then warm... i'll definitely post pictures next summer, most r either medicinal or of the beneficial to other plants type.