Author Topic: Physical fitness for future survival  (Read 8066 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Physical fitness for future survival
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:50:41 PM »
Members: Please post here your ideas on physical fitness.
What are the means to the end of physical fitness. How can people get there?
I am sure people will have all kinds of different ideas.
It is possible that some types of exercise work better for some people than for others.
A lot of people, as they get on in their life have limitations on what they can do, In the past what worked for me was running, jumping, track, swimming, heavy work, schlepping things up and down the stairs,  walking
a lot as part of my work.
Now at the age of 66 and with injuries (like a lot of people) I canot do the same things. I do a little walking and try to do some stretching. Definitely not enough.
Linda mentioned Tai Chi.
Please share your ideas, here,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:38:07 AM by Yowbarb »

Linda

• Prolific Member
Re: Physical fitness for future survival
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:09:42 PM »
Hi Barb, my latest craze for fitness other than my normal workouts at the gym, is riding my bicycle. Last week I rode 45 miles all total. I purchased a new hybrid bicycle and I love it. I want to take it to the local metro parks and ride there, but first I need a bike carrier for my car as the bike trails are quite a distance from where I live.  There is also a local bike club, I may check that out and join in some group rides. I have a problem with drop foot which makes walking difficult without leg braces, so riding is an alternate way to get around for me, and will come in handy in a future survival mode. Actually it may have to be my vehicle to bug out in if necessary.

Linda   8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:11:36 PM by Linda »
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:28:43 PM »
I'll have to check into some mountain bike tires to have on hand! :)

Linda

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:54:34 PM »
I am looking at tires etc. I would like a stash of practically indestrictible bikes!
Just saw it on some blog, Stans Tubeless System.  -  Yowbarb

http://www.spoke.ie/wp-content/uploads/the-crow.jpg 

Medic238

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 03:33:28 PM »
Barb,

Thanks for making this post. Physical fitness (or lack thereof) will be one of the key deciding factors for survival when TSHTF. This is important stuff.

What is your disease? Dis-ease. Most all of us have at least one. Is your disease curable? Type 2 diabetes, High blood pressure, obesity, chronic pain... Many of our diseases revolve around our sh*tty eating habits and our sedentary lifestyles. If your disease is curable, then cure it.

If your disease is incurable, is it managed/controlled with medication? What will happen when you run out of your meds? Does is make life harder; or impossible? If you *must* have your meds to survive, how much can you keep in storage? How long will it last you? What's its shelf life?

We can all change our dietary habits. It's just a matter of when and to what degree. Here's a few things that I've discovered and decided for myself:

MSG (monosodium glutamate) - a food additive used as a "flavor enhancer". It's highly addictive and toxic as well. http://www.rense.com/general52/msg.htm

Aspartame, sucralose, other artificial sweeteners - I'd rather give a sugar filled soda to a type 1 diabetic than to see him/her drink something with artificial sweeteners. Of course, I'd rather see us all drinking pure water instead. Do a google search on any single artificial sweetener out there. Try to find something that doesn't list them as highly toxic, brain killing carcinogens.

Stivia and agave nectar - natural sweeteners that can be used in anything that you' use sugar for. This stuff is natural and best of all, nontoxic.

When TSHTF, we're all going to be detoxing from the things that we're used to putting inside our bodies every damn day. To what degree we suffer and for how long will depend upon what we did to prepare.

So let's prepare and help each other along the way.

Mike

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 04:23:18 PM »
Hi Medic238 and welcome to Town Hall. I totally and absolutely agree with your post. What we put in our mouths determines our state of health. People are having a hard time surviving now with all the additives and processed foods, but if we are put in a survival mode it gets much worse. I am always saying we need to work on our health now while we have the resources available to us.

Great post, great information, thanks.

Linda

Carluccio_piattino

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 05:55:42 PM »
Food:
I abasolutely agree with Linda and Mike.
Please, allow me to add my personal recommendations which are not in fact mine, but from nutricionists. Go veggie as much as possible, without leaving animal protein. A diet becomes too complicated when you go vegan. Cut on beef, pork, chicken and go to the sea. I try to eat beef only once a week per same recommendations as it is still important in our diet and difficult to account for if not present at all. Cut on soft drinks and go light on black tea and coffee, especially during the evening before going to sleep. Eat a lot of different fruits, the variety is important, but do not eat them after meals as dessert (for example a fruit salad), because they are digested in the intestines and not in the stomach and they would have to "stay in line" waiting for all the food to be digested and because of this "waiting" a lot of gasses will be produced. Go nuts ! Prefer nuts like macadamia and Brazil nuts. For men Brazil nuts is a prostatae cancer preventive.
And the list goes on and on....

All the best (food)

Carlos

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 05:04:42 AM »
Thanks Carlos lots of good information. One thing I would add is try and eat lacto-fermented foods  as much as you can. Yogurt, keifer, fermented veggies like sauerkraut or kimchi, bone broths. These foods are health restorers, and lastly good fats such as coconut oil, olive oil and fish oils.

Have a great day,

Linda

Carluccio_piattino

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 06:56:19 AM »
Thanks Carlos lots of good information. One thing I would add is try and eat lacto-fermented foods  as much as you can. Yogurt, keifer, fermented veggies like sauerkraut or kimchi, bone broths. These foods are health restorers, and lastly good fats such as coconut oil, olive oil and fish oils.

Have a great day,

Linda

Hi Linda,

Good points !  Lacto-fermented foods help keeping intestinal flora in good shape.

I forgot to add that although nuts are very good for our health (exception on peanuts) we should not eat too much of them as they are heavy in oils (good oils, though) and thus high on calories which will add unnecessary weight to our bodies.

For men and women alike, 2 to 3 Brazil nuts a day is enough. I take them with pleasure but with a sense that I am ingesting natural medicine at the same time. Doing this is also light on our pockets. If Brazil nuts are not cheap in Brazil they should be even more expensive abroad. Reason for this is that they cannot be "tamed", they have to grow in the wilderness only.

You all have a wonderful and healthy week !

Carlos

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 07:25:33 AM »
Food:
I abasolutely agree with Linda and Mike.
Please, allow me to add my personal recommendations which are not in fact mine, but from nutricionists. Go veggie as much as possible, without leaving animal protein. A diet becomes too complicated when you go vegan. Cut on beef, pork, chicken and go to the sea. I try to eat beef only once a week per same recommendations as it is still important in our diet and difficult to account for if not present at all. Cut on soft drinks and go light on black tea and coffee, especially during the evening before going to sleep. Eat a lot of different fruits, the variety is important, but do not eat them after meals as dessert (for example a fruit salad), because they are digested in the intestines and not in the stomach and they would have to "stay in line" waiting for all the food to be digested and because of this "waiting" a lot of gasses will be produced. Go nuts ! Prefer nuts like macadamia and Brazil nuts. For men Brazil nuts is a prostate cancer preventive.
And the list goes on and on....

All the best (food)

Carlos

Carlos, thanks I always get sort of a burst of positive energy from your posts and your ideas.

Cutting down on those things you mentioned is good common sense.
Wow,  I didn't know the brazil nuts helped to prevent prostate cancer!  Will have to tell my brothers.
RE Nuts: Many years ago I hadn't been eating much in the way of nuts... sort of expensive and I just skipped them. I was working pretty hard and under stress at the time.  Suddenly had for a time the signs of some neurological problem  (don't know what.)  Around that time I read "humans need nuts" and they "have something in them which nourishes the nerves." I think that was Prevention Magazine around 1997.  From that time I have included them in my diet periodically, and no recurrence of that problem whatever it was.

I find that is very true what you mentioned about fruit. The body needs fruit but it's better to wait awhile and not have the fruit desserts right after the main meal.  I used to be pretty disciplined about food combining. I sort of let it slide but it worked well for me in the past. I would only have a dairy product as its own separate little meal. Fruit was a separate meal, and usually the first thing in the morning and the last thing at night.
I was a vegetarian anyway but if I ate animal protein in later years, I would not combine it with the fruit and practically never had carbs with the protein. It's really not to hard to do that. It is controversial., but I found that the Eat Right and Be Fit book had a lot of truth in it.  I found the only thing hard about it was trying to fix a lot of food and serve up meals if other people aren't going to try to do the food combining diet.

Well it is worth a try to have a group develop some good habits...
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 07:40:01 AM »

Have a great day,

Linda

Linda I discovered Kimchi up in Wasington state back in the early 1980s. I think there was some up there at the time because of the oriental population settling and working in agriculture there. Lots of Vietnamese and Chinese were there. I saw jars of Kimchi - Kimchee -  in with the produce.
I discovered that when it got cold and damp out, and if I showed some sign of getting a cold, if I had a little bit of the kim chi there would be no cold. It was just stopped before it started!! Between the ginger and the garlic and some form of chili and the fermentation, wow! My body likes that fermented food such as kimchi and miso and yogurt. 
Thanks for the reminder on it.
Once I was standing in a line at a market in Hollywood and was sort of sniffling. I had a little bag of ginger one of the ingredients we used to put in with our five grains or our fresh juice. A little oriental man behind me noticed the ginger, and said to me, "You put the ginger in a pan with water and sugar and boil it... it gets rid of the sickness." At first I doubted the sugar part but sure enough - with the sugar it was more powerful!!
Another remedy I had forgotton about. - Yowbarb

Carluccio_piattino

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 02:31:32 PM »

Have a great day,

Linda

Linda I discovered Kimchi up in Wasington state back in the early 1980s. I think there was some up there at the time because of the oriental population settling and working in agriculture there. Lots of Vietnamese and Chinese were there. I saw jars of Kimchi - Kimchee -  in with the produce.
I discovered that when it got cold and damp out, and if I showed some sign of getting a cold, if I had a little bit of the kim chi there would be no cold. It was just stopped before it started!! Between the ginger and the garlic and some form of chili and the fermentation, wow! My body likes that fermented food such as kimchi and miso and yogurt. 
Thanks for the reminder on it.
Once I was standing in a line at a market in Hollywood and was sort of sniffling. I had a little bag of ginger one of the ingredients we used to put in with our five grains or our fresh juice. A little oriental man behind me noticed the ginger, and said to me, "You put the ginger in a pan with water and sugar and boil it... it gets rid of the sickness." At first I doubted the sugar part but sure enough - with the sugar it was more powerful!!
Another remedy I had forgotton about. - Yowbarb

Barb,

It seems that we (all included in this thread) have a lot to share....

My wife Daisy mixes ginger in our natural juice in the morning prepared in the blender. Besides all the medicinal properties (sore throat, colds, cleaning) it also contains lots of fiber. She adds black or golden linseed, and if the fruit of the day is banana, oat bran goes nicely. All these juices are either done with soy milk if a heavy and creamy fruit is used, or with tea if water melon is the fruit. Once a week we prepare a green juice for cleaning purposes, preferable apples and kale (?? mind the translation), but spinach is ok as well but not so nice, or watercress or even arugula.

I have cut also on pure milk to such a point that I have to think twice to open a liter of milk, because I may not drink it fully before it spoils. Daisy does not drink milk anymore.... except some yogurts now and then.

Hey, but I kept a glass of wine a day and if this does not make any good, it seems to not bother me at all and this is very fond to my heart....

My best wishes,

Carlos

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 07:50:25 AM »
Just a note; Kimchi is a Korean food of choice. Too"hot" for me.

8hertz

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • pax
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »
Just for those interested in Kimchi.  Korean and Japan Kimchi are soft and soggy.  On the other hand there the Chinese and Vietnamese Kimchi which is more crisp and crunch.  All Kimchi can be made without spice. Spices are usually added in the process the Korean and Japan style. There also is another method of Vietnamese Kimchi that involves vinegar and sugar instance of salt.  You would use cauliflower and carrot for this. With vinegar method Kimchi should be serve chill for better taste.

8hertz

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:21:46 AM »
Just for those interested in Kimchi.  Korean and Japan Kimchi are soft and soggy.  On the other hand there the Chinese and Vietnamese Kimchi which is more crisp and crunch.  All Kimchi can be made without spice. Spices are usually added in the process the Korean and Japan style. There also is another method of Vietnamese Kimchi that involves vinegar and sugar instance of salt.  You would use cauliflower and carrot for this. With vinegar method Kimchi should be serve chill for better taste.

8hertz

8Hertz   :) this is a very belated reply, sorry for the oversight!
I feel Kimchi is a great food, which helps with the immune system and is cleansing.
I had posted about it somewhere else (healing foods) and didn't notice it here.
Kimchi is great! As a matter of fact I need to get some. Winter is my favorite time for this.
I'm sure there is a lot I don't know about its healing properties...
Please post some more ideas.
- Yowbarb