Author Topic: Physical fitness for future survival  (Read 8051 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Physical fitness for future survival
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »
Barb,

Thanks for making this post. Physical fitness (or lack thereof) will be one of the key deciding factors for survival when TSHTF. This is important stuff.

What is your disease? Dis-ease. Most all of us have at least one. Is your disease curable? Type 2 diabetes, High blood pressure, obesity, chronic pain... Many of our diseases revolve around our sh*tty eating habits and our sedentary lifestyles. If your disease is curable, then cure it.

If your disease is incurable, is it managed/controlled with medication? What will happen when you run out of your meds? Does is make life harder; or impossible? If you *must* have your meds to survive, how much can you keep in storage? How long will it last you? What's its shelf life?

We can all change our dietary habits. It's just a matter of when and to what degree. Here's a few things that I've discovered and decided for myself:

MSG (monosodium glutamate) - a food additive used as a "flavor enhancer". It's highly addictive and toxic as well. http://www.rense.com/general52/msg.htm

Aspartame, sucralose, other artificial sweeteners - I'd rather give a sugar filled soda to a type 1 diabetic than to see him/her drink something with artificial sweeteners. Of course, I'd rather see us all drinking pure water instead. Do a google search on any single artificial sweetener out there. Try to find something that doesn't list them as highly toxic, brain killing carcinogens.

Stivia and agave nectar - natural sweeteners that can be used in anything that you' use sugar for. This stuff is natural and best of all, nontoxic.

When TSHTF, we're all going to be detoxing from the things that we're used to putting inside our bodies every damn day. To what degree we suffer and for how long will depend upon what we did to prepare.

So let's prepare and help each other along the way.

Mike
Medic 238 I don't know if you still come here to read, but thank you for your post.
You might have been one of the Members whose Membership got accidentally deleted last year,
(An experimental computer program.)  ::)
Please re-apply.
I don't have any way to reach you.
Sincerely,
Barb Townsend

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 08:56:16 AM »
I realize there are other Topics going on about good foods, dieting,
avoiding microwave energy and exercise routines.
I would like to re energize this particular Topic because the earlier posts have a lot to offer.
So I have posted this in another Topic but want to put it here too.
RE Diatomaceous earth.

Re: Losing weight: A place to share successful actions, tips and ideas
« Reply #150
The diatomaceous earth has been in my routine for about 5 days now. I think I will stick with it for life.
I know it is early to say this - and other factors come into play - but here's the deal:
•   My energy level has at least doubled.
•   A slight drop in weight.
•   I feel a little bit more in control.
•   I recommend taking it with something you like and get it down,
•   Following it with plain water - and - a bite of something. Cracker, whatever.

This AM was the best: 
•   Cranberry - cherry juice with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the food grade diatomaceous.
•   The strong flavor and slight thickness and sweetness of the juice really helps me get it down in a hurry.
•   The juice is sweetened, cheap, not for everyone. WalMart about $2.25.
•   (I have found that even if it is a "cheap" juice the cranberry helps me a lot.)
•   So anyway I am able to get a little bit more done.
•   I feel the diatomaceous is helping me combat some of the ill effects from
•   all the microwave energy with which I am surrounded.

We didn't switch away from wireless yet so it is just everywhere. Computers, TVs, cell phones and cordless
extensions. (5 rooms.)
The day we started the diatomaceous earth, I told my daughter who shares the house with me:
"Let's take a mental picture and let’s see where we are in 2 weeks."

•   My daughter in the UK told me it vastly improved her skin hair and fingernails.
•   She always had good hair and skin, but even so it is smoother and her nails are growing. •   

So I am definitely looking forward to improvements.

(Also giving it to our six cats, a stray and one neighbor cat who comes here to eat.) We smooth it into their fur;
in the process of starting to do that regularly.

We also have it sprinkled around for ants and other pests.
Today: Out by the cat water I saw a whole bunch of little dead ants! In just one day of sprinkling the non - toxic
diatomaceous earth around the edges of the porch, we have got rid of a lot of ants.
Then I went and poured it onto ant hills in the yard.
Too many pests in the area can bring down the peace of mind and the health, as well.

I feel like the diatomaceous has given me some ammo which I need now for my environment and my health. 
- Yowbarb

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 09:14:29 AM »
Barb, Thanks so much for posting!  I am convinced, I'm going to get some as soon as I get to the health food store!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:28:45 AM by enlightenme »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »
Barb, Thanks so much for posting!  I am convinced, I'm going to get some as soon as I get to the health food store!
Enlightenme, I'm glad you liked my post.  ;D
I didn't see your PM about the DE before...was just about to answer it.

•   Well if they can tell you it is food grade suitable for humans, that should work.
•   Jim farmer is more of an expert than I am.
•   Just got my first 20# batch the other day; Jim has been on it for years!  ;D
•   It has natural silica so it can be drying to nose, eyes and skin; inhaled into lungs.
•   so be careful with the powder flying through the air.
•   Gently ease it into a glass of juice and stir. Straight water "chaser" and a bite of food.

:) 
It may not be for everyone... I hope it is for you; it is so cleansing and nutritious!
All The Best,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:28:07 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
...Oh yeah take extra water. It increases the need for water.
Will have to look for  the exact reference. Sorry, not finding it at this moment.
Here is a page of precautions as part of presenting the benefits etc. - Yowbarb

http://www.denz.co.nz/diatomaceous-earth-precautions   

Diatomaceous Earth Precautions

Diatomaceous Earth Precautions
   DE production staff working in Food Grade DE mines in the US report no ill effect from prolonged and regular inhalation of dust in the workplace.
   Despite this, dust inhalation of any kind, especially in a pro-longed nature should be considered un-healthy and best avoided.
   We recommend exercising caution and using a mask especially when applying heavy applications and working with volume to avoid an excess of inhalation.
   Asthma suffers or other lung ailments should certainly take extra careful and take additional precautions and be conscious not to breathe the ultra-fine dust particles.
   Avoid getting DE in the eyes of yourself, your animals and livestock. DE is drying to the eyes, so be aware of wind direction.
   DE can be drying to your skin, hands, and feet, similarly to your pets. If you suffer from dry skin you may consider using gloves when handling.
   Some two legged mammals have the potential to experience a healing crisis (detox reaction) when beginning DE consumption. If this occurs, reduce the dose, increase in slow increments until RDA is reached.
    Apply liberally on carpets and similar surfaces. There have been reports of excessive volumes of DE causing issues with certain vacuum cleaners.
     Ensure all spray equipment is cleaned after use to avoid DE leaving residue deposits in the tank, pump, nozzles etc. Simply flushing with clean fresh water for a minute until clean will suffice.
     DE has the potential to kill beneficial insects as well, exercise discretion particularly with flowering plants where bees may frequent in season.
     DE has absolutely nil withholding period when sprayed on fruit and vegetables destined for human consumption. It is harmless and you could spray, pick and eat it all in the same day! What other insecticide can claim that !!!
     NEVER use pool filter grade, industrial grade or any diatomaceous earth other than those labeled "Food Grade" for yourself or your animals. It can poison or kill them.
     Don’t settle for anything less than Perma-guard Fossil Shell Flour for your home, your family, pets, farm or horticultural uses. Fossil Shell Flour is the purest, most refined food grade DE available in the world that we know of. Perma-guard have achieved OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute) status for Fossil Shell Flour – certified Organic in the United States. New Zealand Organic status has recently been granted by BioGro - BG5339.
     Storage - We recommend you store your DE in an airtight container upon receipt of your shipped product. DE, water and humidity don't mix from a storage perspective and keeping your DE dry until use will be beneficial to it's efficacy and long term storage.

[Home:    http://www.denz.co.nz/   

......]

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 08:31:45 PM »
Seems like this turned into a diet for future survival topic in contrast to physical fitness for future survival...  I know I won't be packing any dumb bells in my survival gear, unless I get a trailer as I am out of room for transporting survival gear.  So, down and dirty...

1)  While push-ups are more of an Army thing... (joking) they do wonders for upper body strength.  If you can't do a real push-up, and I am not making fun of you if you can't, try leaving your knees on the ground while doing them.  Much easier and you still get something out of it.  If you can do push-ups, then mix them up, i.e. wide grip, diamond, putting your hands on the ground at different angles...  Experiment...

2)  Pull-ups:  I know that a lot of our members probably can't do more than a few pull-ups, if any, and that is fine, I am not making fun of you at all.  I think most of us will be bugging out with at least one other person, so...  Find a tree where you can simulate a pull-up motion and have your partner hold your legs and help you up.  Your partner continues to give you as much assistance as you require to do as many assisted pull-ups as you can do.  It is better than nothing and will increase your upper body strength.

3)  Crunches/Ab workout:  Lay on the ground and do "Bicycles."  A bicycle is when you lay on the ground, place your hands behind your head, lift your legs up in the air while keeping your lower legs parallel to the ground, and alternate touching your right elbow to your left knee, then your left elbow to your right knee...

If you can, there is nothing wrong with going for a run in the woods so long as you don't get lost.  If you can't run, then go for as brisk of a walk as you can.  Also, you can increase your cardiovascular endurance by running/walking up small or large hills.  You don't have to go on a six mile run if you can run sprints up a small or large hill repetitively for 30, 45 minutes or an hour if you can.  Walking, if you can't run, up and down these hills will help immensely too as long as you do it as briskly as you can.

Obviously, do only as much as you can handle but push yourself as much as you can.  Doing just these activities will keep you fairly well conditioned for the times and probably better than most.  There are other things I can think of to do, if you are up to it.  If you have ever done "Kettle Bells" then you could come up with a really nice workout using an appropriate sized rock out in the bush.  I could see myself lifting weights with rocks, not because I am a muscle head but because it would be a decent workout in the middle of nowhere.  These are just some thoughts of mine...  I never said I was Arnold Schwarzenegger...  Hope it helps.
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 04:57:27 AM »
Thanks JKB!  Great info and post!

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 05:01:38 AM »
I wanted to mention that my new "stretch" class seems to be working wonders!  I would have never thought that just a twice a week stretch class could do so much good!  We do use 2 lb weights, which I originally thought was pretty tough, but now it's not a problem for me.  I love using those "stretch" bands too!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 06:32:40 AM »
I wanted to mention that my new "stretch" class seems to be working wonders!  I would have never thought that just a twice a week stretch class could do so much good!  We do use 2 lb weights, which I originally thought was pretty tough, but now it's not a problem for me.  I love using those "stretch" bands too!

Enlightenme, that sounds great!
You know stretching and getting the body back into better alignment probably has all kinds of health benefits...I had sort of forgotton about that.
I used to do a modern dance stretch on the carpet, in the morning. It is the "Weidemann bounce series." Not sure of spelling. I learned it when I was in a modern dance in high school. Then in college I did the obunce series plus the stretching track exercise on the floor. I managed to do those for many many years until I had some various minor injuries/and/or arthritis... Anyway I relied on the stretching on the floor, then I stretched upwards, did a little yoga tree thing followed by some jumping jacks...I can only do a very small amount of that...
Maybe the stretch class is something I could dfo. Thanks for the idea...
Using the weights - that just sounds so beneficial!  :)
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 06:36:37 AM »
Seems like this turned into a diet for future survival topic in contrast to physical fitness for future survival...  I know I won't be packing any dumb bells in my survival gear, unless I get a trailer as I am out of room for transporting survival gear.  So, down and dirty...

1)  While push-ups are more of an Army thing... (joking) they do wonders for upper body strength.  If you can't do a real push-up, and I am not making fun of you if you can't, try leaving your knees on the ground while doing them.  Much easier and you still get something out of it.  If you can do push-ups, then mix them up, i.e. wide grip, diamond, putting your hands on the ground at different angles...  Experiment...

2)  Pull-ups:  I know that a lot of our members probably can't do more than a few pull-ups, if any, and that is fine, I am not making fun of you at all.  I think most of us will be bugging out with at least one other person, so...  Find a tree where you can simulate a pull-up motion and have your partner hold your legs and help you up.  Your partner continues to give you as much assistance as you require to do as many assisted pull-ups as you can do.  It is better than nothing and will increase your upper body strength.

3)  Crunches/Ab workout:  Lay on the ground and do "Bicycles."  A bicycle is when you lay on the ground, place your hands behind your head, lift your legs up in the air while keeping your lower legs parallel to the ground, and alternate touching your right elbow to your left knee, then your left elbow to your right knee...

If you can, there is nothing wrong with going for a run in the woods so long as you don't get lost.  If you can't run, then go for as brisk of a walk as you can.  Also, you can increase your cardiovascular endurance by running/walking up small or large hills.  You don't have to go on a six mile run if you can run sprints up a small or large hill repetitively for 30, 45 minutes or an hour if you can.  Walking, if you can't run, up and down these hills will help immensely too as long as you do it as briskly as you can.

Obviously, do only as much as you can handle but push yourself as much as you can.  Doing just these activities will keep you fairly well conditioned for the times and probably better than most.  There are other things I can think of to do, if you are up to it.  If you have ever done "Kettle Bells" then you could come up with a really nice workout using an appropriate sized rock out in the bush.  I could see myself lifting weights with rocks, not because I am a muscle head but because it would be a decent workout in the middle of nowhere.  These are just some thoughts of mine...  I never said I was Arnold Schwarzenegger...  Hope it helps.

JKB (I know.)  ???   ;) I went off track a bit with all the info on the diatomaceous. A member posted to me here after I mentioned it, so I wanted to answer him.
What I will be doing is moving those posts in a couple days to another area.  ;D I wanted to give people a chance to read them..
Thanks for continuing to post the physical strenth and fitness posts, because that is a big part of what we are discussing here.
It all sounds good! Not sure how much of that I can actually do but I can try I guess!
- Yowbarb

Survival101

• Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 06:42:45 AM »

I would caution those doing abdominal exercises to not do ones that lift their head or upper body from the floor. A better way would be to lift the lower body. And, avoid twisting the torso, like doing a 'pretzel' yoga posture, some people would not be able to do a 'plank' until they built up a lot more core strength, these can fall under the same reason. I think, I've discussed this before, but maybe not.

The reason, I say this is that it can cause a Diastasis, which is the separation of the linea alba between the rectus abdominis muscles, this separation will eventually create a hernia. Google Diastasis and you'll see what I'm talking about, soon you'll recognize a lot of bodybuilder's having it and you'll know how they got it. But, something as simple as 'jackknifing' out of bed can cause it, women will mostly have it due to pregnancy, but men can, too, However, you can heal it, even after 20 years, you still can, just by following the Tupler Method, but wouldn't you rather prevent, instead...?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 07:26:23 AM »
Just a word about my posts on the diatomaceous earth:

•   Not being an expert on the subject, I do (not) know what the best brand is.  :)
•   I am just an enthusiastic new user of the DE who hopes to rebuild health to a great degree.
•   Not plugging any particular brand.
•   Posting testimonials as a general testimonial on the possible good effects of DE.
•   We have DE info posted in other Topics...Will post some of them here for reference.
•   One is in Survivalist Heal Thyself, Topic about natural means of getting rid of parasites.
•   DE info is also in a cancer topic and probably others.
•   Will post some links later,

Yowbarb 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:29:46 AM by Yowbarb »

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »
No worries Barb, I didn't mean it that way... sorry.  Stretching, YES!  Stretching is huge and that is a great point.  I said I wasn't Arnold Schwarzenegger, and I'm not.  But, I have read his book (He may have more than one book now but I am referring to The Encyclopedia of Body Building by Arnold Schwarzenegger).  Arnold said that often times, the difference between #1 and #2 in any given bodybuilding competition was stretching.  If he says it, I believe it. (Regarding physical fitness, that is)
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »
No worries Barb, I didn't mean it that way... sorry.  Stretching, YES!  Stretching is huge and that is a great point.  I said I wasn't Arnold Schwarzenegger, and I'm not.  But, I have read his book (He may have more than one book now but I am referring to The Encyclopedia of Body Building by Arnold Schwarzenegger).  Arnold said that often times, the difference between #1 and #2 in any given bodybuilding competition was stretching.  If he says it, I believe it. (Regarding physical fitness, that is)

JKB - no prob  8) I went off topic just a tad...
but mainly I needed to post to the Board in general - making it clear, some things about the DE posts.
About stretching:
I can see how stretching is really important. 
While watching various kinds of competitions, I have noticed the difference between one person and the other, in the way
they move and what they are able to do. It's the degree of flexibility. You see it in dance, skating and all...
- Yowbarb
  :)

Survival101

• Lloyd Perry & Company
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 06:05:09 AM »

Muscles only have one function - that is to contract. Because of this, we are built with sets of muscles to oppose each other, otherwise we could not move. It's also a common sign as we get older that, we become shorter. Unless we stretch, we can't restore our muscles best resting point. You will hear many older folk complain that their ribs are rubbing on their hip bones, and they are and very uncomfortable. Stretching also has an effect on hormonal release and balance.