Author Topic: Food Storage  (Read 13250 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Food Storage
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2015, 01:00:43 AM »
Yowbarb Note: This is the fellow who put on the Survival Summits and presented a lot of free videos and info on many aspects of survival.
Click link below to receive free CDs on preserving food. Just costs shipping and handling.

http://theprepperproject.com/FoodSafety/?utm_source=facebookads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Likes-American-Preppers-Network-mf35plus

Discover 11 Clever Methods For Preserving Food Without Electricity

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2015, 01:03:16 AM »
PS the free videos, see previous post.

Note from Chet Womach: Why I'm giving away these CD's for just shipping

http://theprepperproject.com/FoodSafety/?utm_source=facebookads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Likes-American-Preppers-Network-mf35plus

Why I'm giving away these CD's for just shipping

You may be wondering why I'm giving these CD's away for free + $2.95 shipping if they really are as good as I say they are. That's a great question and the reason I'll admit is a Selfish one.

You see, these CD's were recorded as part of a 7 Day Seminar Series I recorded called, The Survival Summit. A product that we recorded and offer for sale for $49.95. But instead of trying to talk you into how amazing those recordings are, I figured it would be easier to let you simply have one of them for free so you could see for yourself, in the hopes that if you do like it, you might come back and buy the full set of recordings from us in the future.

The full set of recordings covers many other survival topics like...

Survival Trapping Strategies
How to become an Herbal Medic
Techniques for Stopping Traumatic Bleeding
Urban Foraging Tactics
How to make more accurate decisions in life and death scenarios
And about 35 other topics along the same lines

If that sounds interesting to you, and you'd like to simply buy the full recordings of that even now click here https://theprepperproject.clickfunnels.com/order-form3799511

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2016, 01:26:01 AM »
http://www.ready.gov/food

Using Dry Ice:  Image, Close up of pellets of dry ice
•Under normal circumstances you should not keep dry ice in your freezer. If your freezer is functioning properly it will cause the unit to become too cold and your freezer may shut off. However, if you lose power for an extended period of time, dry ice is the best ways to keep things cold.
•Twenty-five pounds of dry ice will keep a 10-cubic-foot freezer below freezing for 3-4 days.
•If you use dry ice to keep your food cold, make sure it does not come in direct contact with the food.
•Use care when handling dry ice, wear dry, heavy gloves to avoid injury.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Food Storage : Long-term storage of fresh fruit
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »
In this house, we're planning to eat lots of inexpensive pancake breakfasts from storage food, so to avoid food fatigue, I thought it would be nice to have a little fresh fruit to go with them, maybe 1/4 C per person.  With 4 in the family, a pint jar would feed us twice, or could be shared with neighbors.  One wouldn't necessarily need fresh fruit every day in a survival situation; maybe twice or so per week would help to break up the monotony and provide phytonutrients.

When I say "fresh" in a canning situation, I'm referring to the use of alcohol instead of using the water bath or pressure canner.  If you don't have your own fruit, this is a good time to visit the farm markets and strike a bargain, as they must move the fruit out quickly or it will perish.  I got a large crate of near-perfect peaches from an Amishman for half of what he normally sells them for, $20 instead of $40.  Then I found gallon jugs of blackberry wine (you could substitute elderberry, brandy, etc.) for under $15 per jug, and went through about 2 1/2 jugs.  It's more expensive than just buying fresh fruit, but if none exists or will exist for a very long time, the extra expense weighed against good health might be negligible.  I don't count the expense of the canning jars themselves, because they are reusable and are always kept on-hand.  About half of the peaches were used for 2 dozen of the jars, as the rest contained berries.  The peaches used cost $10 for fruit and around $20 for wine, bringing my cost to $1.25 per packed jar.

Today we made up 4 dozen jars of berries and sliced peaches.  Need a very sharp knife to do the peaches, and a wide mouth canning funnel helps.  Rather than allowing head-space at the jar tops, it might be best with the fruit to fill them with alcohol just shy of the tops, say 1/8" allowing a little clearance so the alcohol doesn't degrade the rubber edge coating.  Bands should be tightened as far as possible, and then the jars turned upside down and right side up several times to allow the alcohol plenty of contact with that bit of fruit that won't stay down beneath the liquid line. 

Lastly, the jars will need to be wrapped in bubble wrap and packed in sealed buckets down in the root cellar.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »
R.R. -
What wonderful ideas! I also like the idea of using up the inexpensive storage items, pancake mixes, flour etc.
and adding your canned fruits.
Awesome that you are continuing to do the canning.
All The Best,
Barb T.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Food Storage : Long-term storage of fresh fruit
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2017, 03:22:05 PM »
In this house, we're planning to eat lots of inexpensive pancake breakfasts from storage food, so to avoid food fatigue, I thought it would be nice to have a little fresh fruit to go with them, maybe 1/4 C per person.  With 4 in the family, a pint jar would feed us twice, or could be shared with neighbors.  One wouldn't necessarily need fresh fruit every day in a survival situation; maybe twice or so per week would help to break up the monotony and provide phytonutrients.

When I say "fresh" in a canning situation, I'm referring to the use of alcohol instead of using the water bath or pressure canner.  If you don't have your own fruit, this is a good time to visit the farm markets and strike a bargain, as they must move the fruit out quickly or it will perish.  I got a large crate of near-perfect peaches from an Amishman for half of what he normally sells them for, $20 instead of $40.  Then I found gallon jugs of blackberry wine (you could substitute elderberry, brandy, etc.) for under $15 per jug, and went through about 2 1/2 jugs.  It's more expensive than just buying fresh fruit, but if none exists or will exist for a very long time, the extra expense weighed against good health might be negligible.  I don't count the expense of the canning jars themselves, because they are reusable and are always kept on-hand.  About half of the peaches were used for 2 dozen of the jars, as the rest contained berries.  The peaches used cost $10 for fruit and around $20 for wine, bringing my cost to $1.25 per packed jar.

Today we made up 4 dozen jars of berries and sliced peaches.  Need a very sharp knife to do the peaches, and a wide mouth canning funnel helps.  Rather than allowing head-space at the jar tops, it might be best with the fruit to fill them with alcohol just shy of the tops, say 1/8" allowing a little clearance so the alcohol doesn't degrade the rubber edge coating.  Bands should be tightened as far as possible, and then the jars turned upside down and right side up several times to allow the alcohol plenty of contact with that bit of fruit that won't stay down beneath the liquid line. 

Lastly, the jars will need to be wrapped in bubble wrap and packed in sealed buckets down in the root cellar.
So, you're not heating the jars, but filling them with fruit and alcohol (such as wine or ?) and then directly to storage? 

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »
That's right, using alcohol allows you to completely bypass heat processing, and the work goes very quickly. :)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2017, 06:02:11 PM »
Posting an addendum:

After tightening the bands and shaking upside-down a bit to coat everything with the alcohol, then turning jars right-side-up for storage, it's important to loosen the bands back up a bit, as the wine will off-gas some and put pressure on the jars.  Just don't want anyone to have a jar explode on them, though it hasn't happened here yet :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:23:28 PM by R.R. Book »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2017, 01:19:02 AM »
That's right, using alcohol allows you to completely bypass heat processing, and the work goes very quickly. :)

RR what awesome data!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2017, 01:39:51 AM »
Hi All, this was being ignored in a file in my email ... Neatly filed in the Prepper Project, but hadn't opened it up. It seems a very worthwhile thing to purchase.
In earlier times here I had posted a lot of their info and Survival Summit videos. Links to their products. Chet Womack posted a pretty good video which I had posted in the first Permaculture Topics. 

[ Starting a One-Acre Permaculture Food Forest   Link:  http://youtu.be/EN5bSxx6hlI ]

https://theprepperproject.clickfunnels.com/sales-page9712282

Won’t THIS cause food poisoning???

This is the #1 question I’ve got in the
last 48 hours since releasing my
“Build Your Own Solar Food Dehydrator”
plans for download here:

Click Here To Download Your Solar Dehydrator Plans

So let me reassure you, once and for all:

Yes! You really can SAFELY dry and eat
meat using this solar food dehydrator.

Think about it…

How are you going to store meat when the
grid goes down, and you don’t have a
freezer anymore?

The drying meat using the sun has been done for centuries!

Jerky dates all the way back to Ancient Egypt!

And it’s still the most common method of
meat preservation in developing countries
without easy access to affordable refrigeration.

Once meat has been dried (jerky-fied ;-) it’s shelf-safe…

… Which means it can be stored without refrigeration!

Making it PERFECT for anyone trying to
decrease their dependency on their freezer
in preparation for a grid-down scenario.

And the nutritional properties of jerky
remain basically the same when it’s dried.

The only piece of advice I have for you
is to focus on drying LEAN cuts of
meat—especially game meat, like deer!

Because the fat on the meat can still
go rancid. So lean cuts store better,
for longer.

Plus, it’s a good idea to monitor the
temperature of your solar dryer, because
it needs to heat to at least 160 degrees
Fahrenheit to kill bacteria like Salmonella or E.coli.

If you’re concerned that you’re not
getting enough hot sun, it’s a good idea
to pre-cook the meat a bit, before placing
it in the dryer.

(Again, to kill the bacteria.)

The advantage of using the solar food
dryer for meat preservation over, say,
salting and hanging the meat to dry,
is that it’s FASTER.

So your meat isn’t exposed to insects,
rodents, or birds.

And contamination is limited!

Personally, I love homemade beef, fish,
and deer jerky.

(Delicious, and way healthier than
store-bought jerkies that include MSG
and sodium nitrite!)

And again—it’s easy to make!

Don’t be caught unprepared!

Be ready for that day your freezer dies…

I hope this answered your questions.

Download your plans to “Build Your Own Solar Food Dryer”:

Click Here To Download Your Plans   https://theprepperproject.clickfunnels.com/sales-page9712282

Because, again, how are you going to
save meat and vegetables when your
freezer no longer works?

This is your answer…

Chet Womach
Founder
ThePrepperProject.com

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2017, 05:13:05 PM »
Thanks for posting about drying meat, Barb.

About 30 years ago I dried hamburger slowly in the kitchen oven and it ended up nicely crumbly, and easily stored in glass jars.  It's just a matter of having it hot enough to keep pathogens from growing, and cool enough not to "cook" it.