Author Topic: Camouflage your survival site - buried dome or bunker  (Read 14841 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Camouflage your survival site - buried dome or bunker
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 01:15:59 PM »
Here's another discussion on camouflaging the bunkers...Images on page; will post some of them here.
- Yowbarb
Safecastle
http://safecastle.blogspot.com/2005/09/is-there-good-reason-to-hide-your.html 

Monday, September 19, 2005
Is There Good Reason to Hide Your Shelter?
This is part three of my series on 21st-century fallout shelters. Please read the first two installments before reading this post since there is a bit of a storyline that has taken shape.
Part 1: Welcome to My Underground Bunker;
LINK:

Monday, September 19, 2005

Part 2: How to Hide a Fallout Shelter in the Middle of Suburbia. 
LINK:
http://safecastle.blogspot.com/2005/09/how-to-hide-fallout-shelter-in-middle.html

And then, [Yowbarb Note: I don't know what happened to Part 3 but here it it continues...)

Part 4: Down into the Bunker We Go
LINK:
http://safecastle.blogspot.com/2005/09/down-into-bunker-we-go.html

Today's first order of business--In the previous posting, I asked if you could spot the telltale signs of the buried shelter in the backyard images. No, the images aren't the best, but in at least a couple of the pictures, if you look underneath the benches, you'll spot what I was referring to. Out of respect for my customers, I'm not going to say anything more about those "clues."

I could do more to completely hide the shelter's presence, and at some point I might. But the main idea I want to get across is, a little creative landscaping can go a long way toward obscuring the fact that there is a shelter below ground.

Why Hide It?

To many people, there are obvious reasons for trying to keep their bunkers hidden.

First, in the event of societal calamity such as in an all-out nuclear war, those who are aware of a nearby shelter may very well try to gain access ... perhaps resorting to violence in the process. There are of course capacity limits to each shelter and most shelter owners are only prepared to house and provide for their immediate families, not to become the neighborhood civil defense center.

Second, as we've previously discussed, people are hesitant to reveal their bunker preparedness in the interest of maintaining their reputations as "normal" folks. After all, chances of actually having to use the shelters for the designed purpose will hopefully remain comparatively remote, while day-to-day life goes on. No sense in becoming seen by others in town primarily as the paranoid bunker rat. And if it turns out that the genuine need for the shelter emerges, see reason number one above.

The bottom line is, people who recognize genuine threats out there in the world and who choose today to prudently invest in materials and goods that may mitigate their family's personal risk in the future could one day be sadly proven to have taken an unusually wise path. If that happens, the rest would likely have paid dearly and en masse for their typical shortsightedness.

Inside, There's More than Meets the Eye

In my own installation, my shelter entry comes up inside my home office. The nominal size of the room addition precluded me from putting up a secure closet around the hatch, so I found another way to hide it.

The images here pretty clearly show how I chose to combine form with function. By building by own giant ottoman on wheels that rolls over the hatch, visitors don't have the slightest notion that the shelter is there. It's basically a heavy solid box that may NEVER break ... and though it's not the prettiest upholstery job you'll ever see, the piece is quite adequate and I am happy with it. Heck, it's even big enough for me to take a little catnap on when business is slow.

I think the neat thing is, I also built the ottoman to allow for the option of propping it up (rather than rolling it off) so that we could, if need be, descend into the shelter and lower the hatch and the ottoman back down into place so the presence of the shelter is not readily apparent to intruders.

[ Yowbarb Note: More images on the article pages, 
http://safecastle.blogspot.com/2005/09/is-there-good-reason-to-hide-your.html  ]

Next--we have a look inside.

For other posts in this series, see the mainpage.
Posted by Victor Rantala at 8:48 AM

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 01:19:34 PM »
I do have one question on the previous post, RE Hiding the shelter hatch under a big ottomon on rollers.
(How does the shelter bunker owner get the ottomon pulled over the hatch door if everyone runs inside.?) Will have to read closer.
The question on how to disguise the hatch doors from the inside is an important one.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 02:34:11 PM »
Worth a repeat...
This image I like...
Obviously some kind of system needs to go in place, which allows the dweller to pull in
a cover over the entrance.
- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »
We are all camo'd up here on the mtn. Kinda looks like a redeploy to Afghanistan hey Erv?
The rabbit hole is at the top of the lower right waste rock pile.

Terrypat I like the photo and all your posts.
I figure you must be all bugged out by now. Drop a post if you can...
Yowbarb

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »
Barb:  I really like that shelter built into the side of the hill.  That's my idea of a good shelter, and it would stay really warm in the winter and cool in the summer too.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 09:58:10 AM »
Barb:  I really like that shelter built into the side of the hill.  That's my idea of a good shelter, and it would stay really warm in the winter and cool in the summer too.

Yeah - I like that too. I've been interested in subterranean living since I first heard about it in the 1960s...As long as it is reinforced well, it should really provide a lot of protection.
Some are virtually invisible from the air or even from someone walking nearby. These domes would need a heavier door to pull over it in case of emergency and also something to chamouflage the front entry in case of the need to hide... I prefer earth bermed over most of it and big rocks nearby to really camouflage them.

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/robot-ranch-an-earth-sheltered-dome-and-a-work-in-progress/photos#3
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:00:07 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 10:24:20 AM »
BTW I sort of like the sandstone on the domes in the previous post but I wouldn't use it because high winds would just throw it all over the place and if people were trying to get into the domes that might be hazardous.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 11:54:12 AM »
Some ideas on how to hide your survival structures...
berming earth over all or part of it.
stones on and near it.
fake rocks and trees
real trees...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 10:36:54 PM »
Yowbarb Note: This home is not so easy to see from above, except for gleaming glass and metal turret-type thing atop the roof.
For safety, strength and security they would have to put metal covers over that thing  ::) on the inside of the doors and windows. Front windows too, of course. 
http://www.inspirationgreen.com/earth-sheltered-homes.html