Author Topic: Miscellaneous Survival Tools To Purchase  (Read 8773 times)

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
Re: Miscellaneous Survival Tools To Purchase
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 08:11:33 PM »
Augie, there are concealed weapon laws. I think 3 inches is the law in Ohio. I'm not sure of it. I have a concealed weapon permit, so I don't look into it much.   ed

Morgana2012

• Trusted Member
Re: Miscellaneous Survival Tools - Mosquitos and Crossbows
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 10:14:32 PM »
Here's a video about how to make an easy inexpensive crossbow and after that's over similar videos pop up for more ideas.
http://youtu.be/k0Hd8HasaoE
http://youtu.be/U8vsicLROJo

Listerine vs Mosquito - I found this on About.com
According to this article, another way of getting rid of mosquitoes is Listerine, the original medicinal type. The Dollar Store-type works, too. I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.

The Scouts always used a dusting of sulphur powder around the tops of socks and shoes to repel chiggers.  Worked good.  Available at Ace hardware stores.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 09:49:42 AM »
This is for S.C.

"a knife with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, or any other type of device or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death."

http://knife-expert.com/sc.txt

This link says you can research all 50 states.

http://www.knife-expert.com/sta-law.htm#S-W 

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »
I was just recently looking at knives online.  I thought it would be good to carry one on me.  But I wondered what size to get.  I thought one 4 inches long would be a good all purpose one.

A buddy of mine turned me on to Cold Steel.  http://www.coldsteel.com/  He is USMC infantry and swears by Cold Steel.  I now carry the Spartan folding knife and that thing is a Beast.  I also bought a machete and tomahawk from them.  I am now sold on Cold Steel myself.  They make good stuff.
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

chaunska

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »
My husband swears by Randall knives....he says they are the strongest blades out there.....

errrv

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 06:54:32 AM »
Randall, Lyle, Al Mar, CRKT, Cold Steel, Shinwa, Spyderco. All great knives. Ka Bar & Ontario knife co. Too. Biggest thing you want (I want) is carbon steel blade. A lot of survival type knives have AU6 or stainless blades that come razor sharp from the factory. Once that edge is lost, it is incredibly difficult to get another edge on it that sharp. Stainless steel is like spring steel. It is very hard metal & will shatter instead of bending... Almost like glass. Carbon steel, although prone to rust (hello oil :) )can be kept razor sharp very easily. It's true, over time the sharpening will wear the knife down, but it will always be sharp.

My favorite knives are the KaBar Usmc knives & Navy issue mk3 mod 0 dive knife. Also the Spyderco, as a Mrs Hunter there sent me about 100 knives to test out when I worked at Ranger school. Two of every knife they made. I kept two for myself. Excellent tools!
Erv

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 07:14:21 AM »
CHAIN SAWS - See video toward bottom of this post.
- Yowbarb

http://survivalcache.com/sabercut-saw/   

Choosing the Best Survival Chainsaw

Choosing wood cutting tools for your survival gear can be complicated because of weight. Axes, hatchets, and saws can be heavy and cumbersome. A much lighter option is a flexible saw.

A flexible saw, or survival chainsaw, is a chainsaw-type blade strung between two handles.  They all weigh in at 5 or 6 o.z. At that weight I can’t think why you wouldn’t want one in your survival gear.

Besides weight, it is pretty amazing how effective these things can be with very little effort. (See the video below) You just wrap it around a tree or piece of wood and slide back and forth.

After poking around online for a while I found there are 3 different saws that seem to be the most popular. The Unbelievable Saw, The Pocket Chainsaw, and The SaberCut saw

After looking at all three and reading customer reviews I think the SaberCut Saw is probably the best choice for a couple of reasons.

Loop Handles

It has loops instead of handles. Obviously your hands are going to get tired using this thing for long periods of time. Being able to put those around your wrists and pull with your arms instead of holding on with your fingers is going to be a huge advantage.

Also check out how the SaberCut connects to the blade and loops with metal clips and both the others use little pieces of nylon.

The SaberCut has a more traditional chainsaw blade that is stronger and can be sharpened with a chainsaw sharpening kit, whereas the others have saw tooth blades that will become dull faster and are harder to sharpen because there are so many. (Incidentally, who knew you could buy a chainsaw sharpening kit for your Dremel – Awesome)

The SaberCut is an actual chain, the other two are flat pieces of metal stamped together.

The SaberCut

The SaberCut saw comes with a pouch for easy carrying. The Pocket Chainsaw comes in a metal tin, and the Unbelievable Saw comes in a ziplock bag. (unbelievable). We are survivalists and every piece of gear needs a pouch. Period.

Here’s the quick specs on the SaberCut:

Material: Blade & handle clips: Black oxide coated steel
Weight: (saw and case): 6 ounces (170.1g)
Blade Length: 24 inches

You can get the SaberCut @ Forge Survival Supply for 25.99.

Here is a short video of the SaberCut Saw in action. It is really a commercial from the company, but you still get to see it.   VIDEO LINK: http://youtu.be/Rg3vzaLYAMw

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 05:32:12 PM »
Just dusted off, cleaned, and oiled my tomahawk and machette the other day...   Still don't think I will need them, but you never know...
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 05:43:14 PM »
I have heard that they make a nifty little thing that is a flashlight (wind-up/battery) that is also a cell-phone charger.  I definitely want to get one of those, but I don't know where to find one.  I'm going to search a bit more on line when I get a chance, but if anyone knows the type I am referring to and where I can buy it, please let me know! 
Update!!  I should have known to check Amazon  Definitely a survival tool/gadget I need to add to my list of must haves!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=flashlight+cell+charger&sprefix=flashlight+cell%2Caps%2C202
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:09:12 PM by enlightenme »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 10:23:50 PM »
Just dusted off, cleaned, and oiled my tomahawk and machette the other day...   Still don't think I will need them, but you never know...

Probably a good idea...quieter if you have to take out an intruder...