Author Topic: SEEDS, started by Yowbarb 2010  (Read 25208 times)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: SEEDS, started by Yowbarb 2010
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »
This is more of a caveat than anything.  Finally this year I was able to grow a modest batch of pumpkins (Baby Pam), and also bought a bunch from farmer friend (New England Pie Pumpkin).  The main reason is that pumpkin flesh and seeds are useful in repelling and defeating worms/parasites in many types of livestock, and here that would be goats.

So, after using a couple of pumpkins for goat feed, I had carefully laid out seeds in a monolayer, and when I thought they were dry, carefully put them in jar with loose-fitting lid.  Well, they apparently weren't dry enough, as when I glanced at them today, they were covered with black flecks forming, and were mostly stuck together.  Yikes!  Had to toss it all in trash and what a sad lesson in not hurrying along the drying process.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: SEEDS, started by Yowbarb 2010
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2017, 08:27:11 PM »
This is more of a caveat than anything.  Finally this year I was able to grow a modest batch of pumpkins (Baby Pam), and also bought a bunch from farmer friend (New England Pie Pumpkin).  The main reason is that pumpkin flesh and seeds are useful in repelling and defeating worms/parasites in many types of livestock, and here that would be goats.

So, after using a couple of pumpkins for goat feed, I had carefully laid out seeds in a monolayer, and when I thought they were dry, carefully put them in jar with loose-fitting lid.  Well, they apparently weren't dry enough, as when I glanced at them today, they were covered with black flecks forming, and were mostly stuck together.  Yikes!  Had to toss it all in trash and what a sad lesson in not hurrying along the drying process.

ilinda, something to watch out for...Good to know...
Thkx