Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Meditation with your Children (repost)  (Read 2482 times)

Pbutter72

Meditation with your Children (repost)
« on: April 20, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »
Peace Everyone!

I posted this on the old site a couple of years ago, but I think that it fits here as well:

Meditation with (Small) Children

When I was younger, if someone mentioned the word meditation, I would quickly picture some ancient yogi pondering on the meaning of Universe while sitting on giant pad of lotus petals--
"I could never do that," I'd say to myself-- I felt that I had to much "going on" in my Life and I was too busy to something as "intricate" as that..

Well, now that I am older--I know better.

Meditation is fairly easy- even for kids!

I'll just jot down here what I've done in the past- with my own children as well as with classes full of two to four year olds..

1. Firstly, ask the child/ren to sit with you somewhere in a relatively quiet place (indoors or outdoors). Let them know what it is that you are about to do. (e.i. "come sit with me over here, we are going to meditate now")

2. Quietly command their attention by simply looking into their eyes ***this may take a little practice on your part--a lot of times, as parents, it is easier to voice a command--try to talk as little as possible!***

3. Do a small "ritual" to signal that the meditation is to begin. Depending on learning styles, age, personality--this could range. Here are some ideas:
*clap 4x and rub hands together then fold them unto lap
*take a few deep breaths
*do a few "ohms"

4. Sit quietly... ***rule of thumb-- try starting with 15 seconds for each year of age. (e.i. 1 minute= 4 years old, 2 minutes = 8 y.o.) You can always add more time as you go!

5. End the meditation with a simple phrase/ word/ gesture.
*** I like to hold my hands together and say "Namaste"---you should try to say/do what is most natural and comfortable-- "Amen" "Thank you" or "We are done, now go play" are some suggestions..

Adaptations:
For children with special needs--depending on ability--give the above mentioned steps a try.
I found that in some cases, touch may be needed (holding/stroking hand) while sitting with the child. Some children would do well holding an object--maybe one that you would use solely for the meditation- like a "worry stone" so they can rub it in their hand-- this is very soothing and may help calm them.

Taking a quiet moment always helps clear the mind and makes for a better day--and the children will learn this with practice.

Hope this was Helpful!

Blessings
pB

Linda

• Prolific Member
Re: Meditation with your Children (repost)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:15:58 PM »
Great post PButter, thats a wonderful idea. Maybe I will try it with my grandkids.

Thanks,
Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Pbutter72

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 03:14:30 PM »
Thank you Linda! 

It has been my experience that the children get pretty excited when it is Time for meditation-- It is a great Centering activity--and also helps them calm down when they are upset about Something.

Still do this with my eight year old!

Blessings
pB

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:07:25 PM »
Wow!

This is an old post (my then 8 1/2 yo is now 12!), but I feel that it is a good one to add to. :)

Please feel free to share any ideas, additions, pointers, or even questions on this topic!

Interesting article on this topic:

Meditation For Kids: Parents Turn To Mindfulness Practices To Help Children Stay Calm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/23/meditation-for-kids_n_3318721.html

~pB
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!