Author Topic: DOMES, UNDERGROUND SHELTERS, etc. New Topic for  (Read 4093 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: DOMES, UNDERGROUND SHELTERS, etc. New Topic for
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 01:10:30 AM »
https://www.treehugger.com/tiny-houses/diy-dome-homes-made-aircrete-affordable-ecofriendly-option.html

DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 01:23:17 AM »
Treehugger:

"DomeGaia's AirCrete homes, which are the brainchild of Hajjar Gibran (who happens to be the great-nephew of the poet Kahlil Gibran), are made with a foamy mixture of cement and air bubbles, which create a lightweight and low-cost building block that is fireproof, waterproof, and serves to insulate the building. According to its creator, AirCrete offers a number of desirable attributes for use as a building material for single-storey residences, especially for the owner-builder, among them the ability to cut construction costs "by a factor of 10" when compared with conventional construction.

"It is waterproof, fireproof, and insect proof. It offers good thermal and acoustic insulation. It will not rot, warp, or corrode. Unlike concrete which is hard, heavy, cold and difficult to work with, AirCrete is easy to work with. It dries overnight and can be cut, carved, drilled and shaped with wood-working tools. It accepts nails and screws and is easily repaired. It had good compressive strength to make excellent foundations, subfloors, building blocks, poured walls, domes or whatever. It can be molded or formed into practically any shape." - DomeGaia
The key to AirCrete is in the foaming agent, which works to suspend tiny air bubbles in the cement mixture, and a small piece of equipment, a continuous foam generator, which disperses a mix of the foaming agent (which can be as simple as an all-natural "high foaming" dish detergent) into the cement mixture to be mixed together. DomeGaia sells a readymade foam generator unit, the Little Dragon, and has plans and parts for building your own, as well as selling a Foam-Injection AirCrete mixer...
http://www.domegaia.com/gallery.html

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 06:05:07 AM »
Barb, I looked through the photo gallery on your link, and these are adorable, like Hobbit homes.  I wonder if the building material is also impact-proof, being so lightweight?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 09:51:35 AM »
'scuse it, re posting this...

Barb, I looked through the photo gallery on your link, and these are adorable, like Hobbit homes.  I wonder if the building material is also impact-proof, being so lightweight?

RR that is a good question, one I am not sure I can answer. My subjective answer is yes...
The domeGaia domes got a good review from that writer, link posted in Topic.
They are described as fireproof, waterproof, etc.
If by impact, you mean impact from tornadoes and hurricanes... The geodesic dome structure holds up to hurricanes...
As with any structure extra reinforcement would need to be put in from the inside, doors and windows, when tshtf.

There's not much that would withstand a fragment of an actual big asteroid.
It seems to me these domes should withstand various onslaughts of hot rocks, small meteorites. When it looks like it's about to hit the fan a person could berm some earth over at least a portion of their dome, that gives more protection from heat etc.

On the DomeGaia site they state reinforcement can be added to the mixture, whether that be fiber or steel.

Treehugger article: Derek Markham (@derekmarkham)
Design / Tiny Houses
October 6, 2017
"It had good compressive strength to make excellent foundations, subfloors, building blocks, poured walls, domes or whatever. It can be molded or formed into practically any shape."

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: DOMES
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
If you manage to survive a limited cataclysm in such a structure, that means that just about only you and FEMA [the Federal Agency for Emergency Management...] are around after TSHTF. In other words, you will be one of the few survivors to contend with a well-armed and provisioned totalitarian military out to assert total control and subjugate all survivors...
The limited cataclysm option is dark indeed, for it involves a military which are the only ones with operating electrical systems, years-worth of resources and the power to enforce anything they wish on whatever survivors there are.

I have researched the benefits of domes (almost a decade ago) and know of their great benefits and advantages; however, they will not survive the onslaught of a megagale hurling entire trees through the air at the speed of sound.
I say: keep domes in mind, for they are nature's strongest structures. At the same time, though, the kind of forces that carved out the Grand Canyon cannot be held at bay by even the smartest tactics...
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01