Author Topic: TOOLS  (Read 884 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: MMS
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 04:47:41 PM »
Happy to hear it, Ilinda.

This is like what i use to hold my bottles for making MMS:
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: TOOLS
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 04:50:28 PM »
can't believe this topic doesn't exist yet...
My bad   :-[
It was under PREPAREDNESS, rather than under Survival Tools To Better Your Odds [i.e. where i expected it to be].
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »
Socrates, I thought you might enjoy the tools on this zombie apocalypse charm bracelet:

:)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 04:56:49 PM »
Regarding Soc's comment that we might need to eat bugs, how about Jim's photo from this morning? :)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
credit card tools
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 11:58:59 PM »
I have personally experienced situations in which i was 'whisked away' without a moment or an opportunity to grab even bare necessities. So i like the idea of having certain items with me at all times. 'Credit card tools' fit this idea nicely. I already always carry a (credit card-sized) fresnel lense with me. Then, Zachery Fowler [see 11 min. into this vid] suggested 'credit card fishing hooks'. This led me to Googling the matter of "survival credit cards" which in turn led to some interesting other options...

In the above-mentioned vid Zachery Fowler mentions:
- torque slingshot
- gaffer tape [on pen]
- small leather pouches for on a belt [Think Batman...  ;)]
- Wazoo survival bracelet
- Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter knife
- sailing cap
[please see explanations below]

- Fowler's talking about Sharpie pens; googling "survival pens", however, i ran into some interesting options.
- He also just mentioned a nice cap to have but as luck would have it, i once found this sailing cap in the street and i learned to greatly appreciate it. Ya never know when a gust of wind might blow your head gear off, but with a sailing cap, it's attached to your shirt, sweater or coat and stays with you. This is not only wonderful if you've spent some money on a good quality cap, but is a must in a survival situation in which you can't afford to lose what you have.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:35:52 AM by Socrates »
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 06:41:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing these amazing tools with us Soc!

small leather pouches for on a belt [Think Batman...  ;)]

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
EDC: Every Day Carry
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 06:08:26 PM »
So, becoming more mature concerning prepping... Apparently "EDC" is a thing and i'm finally catching on.
What i've seen so far, i'm thinking most EDC choices are unrealistic and that's probably why it hasn't drawn my attention until now. I mean, what's the difference between EDC and a BOB? It seems blurry when seeing what many folks consider part of their EDC.

Personally i hate carrying around stuff; i don't wear a watch and i've never worn jewelry of any sort, and i even consider my wallet a (literal) pain in the ass... So if i'm going to have anything as EDC, it had better be pretty darn small and easy to tote around. Jus' sayin'.
I'm gonna be looking into these 'credit card' options and also into what kind of small pouches can be had to have on one's belt.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:34:29 PM by Socrates »
survival database

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 01:49:21 PM »
Every Day Carry. Essentially it's a phrase or a tag associated with people discussing/showing what they deem important to carry every day in their pockets or backpacks.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 01:50:33 PM »
Socrates, I thought you might enjoy the tools on this zombie apocalypse charm bracelet:

:)

New style of 'bling" haha!  8)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: credit card tools
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 01:52:33 PM »
I have personally experienced situations in which i was 'whisked away' without a moment or an opportunity to grab even bare necessities. So i like the idea of having certain items with me at all times. 'Credit card tools' fit this idea nicely. I already always carry a (credit card-sized) fresnel lense with me. Then, Zachery Fowler [see 11 min. into this vid] suggested 'credit card fishing hooks'. This led me to Googling the matter of "survival credit cards" which in turn led to some interesting other options...

In the above-mentioned vid Zachery Fowler mentions:
- torque slingshot
- gaffer tape [on pen]
- small leather pouches for on a belt [Think Batman...  ;)]
- Wazoo survival bracelet
- Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter knife
- sailing cap
[please see explanations below]

- Fowler's talking about Sharpie pens; googling "survival pens", however, i ran into some interesting options.
- He also just mentioned a nice cap to have but as luck would have it, i once found this sailing cap in the street and i learned to greatly appreciate it. Ya never know when a gust of wind might blow your head gear off, but with a sailing cap, it's attached to your shirt, sweater or coat and stays with you. This is not only wonderful if you've spent some money on a good quality cap, but is a must in a survival situation in which you can't afford to lose what you have.

Really valuable ideas...
Thanks for posting...
Awhile back you mentioned wanting to cut rock at times...any of those tools able to do that?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: EDC: Every Day Carry
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 06:42:14 PM »
So, becoming more mature concerning prepping... Apparently "EDC" is a thing and i'm finally catching on.
What i've seen so far, i'm thinking most EDC choices are unrealistic and that's probably why it hasn't drawn my attention until now. I mean, what's the difference between EDC and a BOB? It seems blurry when seeing what many folks consider part of their EDC.

Personally i hate carrying around stuff; i don't wear a watch and i've never worn jewelry of any sort, and i even consider my wallet a (literal) pain in the ass... So if i'm going to have anything as EDC, it had better be pretty darn small and easy to tote around. Jus' sayin'.
I'm gonna be looking into these 'credit card' options and also into what kind of small pouches can be had to have on one's belt.
Have you thought about crafting or finding a smallish, leather pack/pocket/bag and attaching Velcro to it, then wearing that around an upper arm, or as part of a small, flat backpack or front pack?  It would have to be small I know.  I'm pondering something small and flat that could attach around my upper arm, i.e., anywhere above the elbow.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: chisels
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 09:28:22 AM »
Awhile back you mentioned wanting to cut rock at times...any of those tools able to do that?
Chisels are inevitably heavy and not something to be carrying with one all the time. Definitely something for the bug-out-bag. However, i doubt many people consider chisels, though if you've got a rock or piece of rock that's really in the way, it can be a life-saver. It can also cut away footholds that critters use to get to places you want to keep critter-free.
survival database

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: EDC on arm
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
Have you thought about crafting or finding a smallish, leather pack/pocket/bag and attaching Velcro to it, then wearing that around an upper arm, or as part of a small, flat backpack or front pack?  It would have to be small I know.  I'm pondering something small and flat that could attach around my upper arm, i.e., anywhere above the elbow.
Sounds like something to put in a BOB and use in times of emergency. Hell, if i ever get back to wearing a watch again, that'll be a big step for me. I just hate stuff on my body like that. As well, i do physical work for my job and that means that certain body parts swell up as the body warms up; you know, like how a watch feels tighter if you're physical busy.
Fowler's idea about the Wazoo survival bracelet, however, sounds acceptable to me; it looks like it would have give and the expensive one's full of useful items.
I believe i gonna get me one of dose...  :P
survival database

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: EDC on arm
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 06:45:16 PM »
Sounds like something to put in a BOB and use in times of emergency. Hell, if i ever get back to wearing a watch again, that'll be a big step for me. I just hate stuff on my body like that. As well, i do physical work for my job and that means that certain body parts swell up as the body warms up; you know, like how a watch feels tighter if you're physical busy.
Fowler's idea about the Wazoo survival bracelet, however, sounds acceptable to me; it looks like it would have give and the expensive one's full of useful items.
I believe i gonna get me one of dose...  :P
That Wazoo survival bracelet does look interesting and useful, and totally compact.  Compact is where it's at.