Author Topic: ALZHEIMERS - BRAIN HEALTH posts  (Read 1031 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: ALZHEIMERS - BRAIN HEALTH posts
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »
So glad you are still here.

Thanks Barb! :)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2017, 05:30:17 PM »
Maybe we should think about starting a whole thread about how doing the opposite of what the MD says has been good for our health.

One example that I can recall:  I was hospitalized 8 years ago when my esophagus swelled shut, and given two bad pieces of advice by the attending in-house physician:

1. plan to do off-label oral use of albuterol inhalers in which the mist is swallowed instead of being inhaled (he was hoping to put me in a clinical trial without my permission I later discovered)
2. don't bother getting an allergy test

I visited an allergist instead and after 18 months of process of elimination, the swelling was attributed to GMO corn.  Apparently I'm sensitive to the Bt inserted into the corn genes.

So glad I disobeyed Dr.'s orders :)
Excellent, RR.  How did you discover you could have been a human guinea pig (secret clinical trial w/o your knowledge)?

Good thing you saw the allergist, and who knows, s/he may have known about the Bt toxin causing such problems?  It's probably true that a number of doctors and scientists know the potential dangers in ingesting gm foods, but they are silenced by fear of repercussions from the big gm giants.

And I love the idea of starting a new thread about disobeying doctor's orders, orders which we know or suspect of being potentially harmful.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2017, 05:41:35 PM »
Hi Ilinda,

The renegade pair of respiratory therapists who came into my room to warn me were the ones who told me that I was being enrolled in a clinical trial and advised me to refuse.  Fortunately I didn't learn their names, because later the in-house MD pressed me for details about them, and I was able to honestly say I didn't know who they were.

The information about the Bt toxin didn't become completely clear until I began reading about other people's experiences with the the same reaction to GMO corn on-line, confirming the results of the elimination diet vs. the fact that I'm not allergic to normal corn. 

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2017, 06:27:32 PM »
Hi Ilinda,

The renegade pair of respiratory therapists who came into my room to warn me were the ones who told me that I was being enrolled in a clinical trial and advised me to refuse.  Fortunately I didn't learn their names, because later the in-house MD pressed me for details about them, and I was able to honestly say I didn't know who they were.

The information about the Bt toxin didn't become completely clear until I began reading about other people's experiences with the the same reaction to GMO corn on-line, confirming the results of the elimination diet vs. the fact that I'm not allergic to normal corn.
Bravo to those brave respiratory therapists, obviously having plenty of integrity.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »
There is no direct evidence from clinical trials suggesting that supplemental enzymes might have a preventive or therapeutic effect upon Alzheimer's Disease, but inferential evidence does exist.  In another thread on Town Hall, we discussed the best sources of supplemental proteolytic enzymes. Am substituting the word "protein" for "tumors" for the sake of the Alzheimer's thread:

The Wobenzym N in his protocol is an important key to eroding protein structures, as it consists mostly of proteolytic enzymes (5 of the 6 ingredients listed are proteolytic enzymes, with trypsin and chymotrypsin being especially important in digesting proteins):

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 3 Tablets
Servings per Container: 266
Amount Per Serving    %DV
   Pancreatin** 56,000 USP units protease (pancreas) Sus scrofa    300 mg    †
   Papain** 492 FIP-unit*** Carica papaya    180 mg    †
   Bromelain** 675 FIP-units Ananas comosus    135 mg    †
   Trypsin** 2,160 FIP-units (pancreas) Sus scrofa    72 mg    †
   Chymotrypsin** 900 FIP-units (pancreas) Bos taurus    3 mg    †
   Rutoside trihydrate** (Rutin) Sophora japonica    150 mg    †
†Daily Value not established

However, it's labeled by weight, rather than being posted in the internationally standardized unit, which is HUT's ( (Hemoglobin Units, Tyrosine basis).  It's important to know if you're getting enough total proteolytic enzymes both to digest food and to break down proteins - need a surplus to do both.  The John Barron Report recommends at least 200,000 HUT's per capsule, preferably 300,000.  He further recommends that they be of plant / fungal origin. https://jonbarron.org/article/proteolytic-enzyme-formula

There are only a couple of formulas on the market that meet or exceed this on a per capsule basis, when all the pertinent line items are added up.  Most don't even have 100,000 HUT's.  The ones that do are, in order:

Transformation Protease, 375,000 HUT's per capsule
Enzymedica, Enzyme Defense, Extra Strength (formerly ViraStop 2X), 300,000 HUT's per capsule
Transformation PureZyme, 185,000 HUT's per capsule
Enzymedica Enzyme Defense (formerly regular strength ViraStop) 150,000 HUT's per capsule
Renew Life Digest Smart Senior Care 133,900 HUT's
Renew Life, Extra Care Digest Smart 122,500 HUT's
Garden of Life Raw Enzymes for women 50+  116,630 HUT's per capsule
Garden of Life Raw Enzymes for men 50+ 116,630 HUT's per capsule
Garden of Life Raw Enzymes for women, 108,500 HUT's per capsule
Digest Smart Women's Care 103,500 HUT's per capsule
Houston Enzymes, AFP-Peptizyde with DPP IV Activity 100,000 HUT's per capsule

This 1984 study is suggestive that lipase should be supplemented at the same time as proteolytic enzyme supplementation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6199274

An early 1986 Russian study found that certain supplements interfere with proteolytic enzymes, suggesting that they be taken at a different time: vitamins B1, B2 and E.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2422816

A 1991 study correlates the presence of a trypsin-inhibitor with Alzheimer's Disease.  Trypsin and chymotrypsin are both common protease enzymes widely used in the body for a variety of purposes, and play a role in the prevention of brain plaques.  http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/54/5/469.1.long and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1713952

A 2004 Argentinian study noted that an array of brain diseases were caused by beta-amyloid plaques. The mechanism of degeneration was attributed to alterations to the protein sequence, accumulations of the protein in small vessels of the brain, and a defect in the protein clearance system. A 44% increase in un-cleared insulin protein levels was discovered in the brains of patients with Alzheimers, and it was found that the effectivness of Insulin-Degrading Enzyme was "significantly reduced" due to defectiveness.  A key aggregation place in the brain for these accumulating proteins is in the smallest blood vessels or capillaries.  Three necessary pathways for disposing of beta-amyloid proteins were further described:
First, proteins must be degraded both within and outside of cells.
Second, they must be sent to a drainage system that extends to blood vessels.
Third, the fragments for disposal must be reduced small enough to be able to cross the blood-brain barrier (BBB) in order to exit the cerebral cortex.
It was noted that in healthy brains, this degradation and disposal process is done with great speed and efficiency. 
http://www.jbc.org/content/279/53/56004.long and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15489232

A 2007 Swedish study found that substances inhibiting the action of ordinary proteolytic enzymes were elevated in both AD and Dementia with Lewy Bodies (DLB).  (Note that when enzyme inhibitors are ingested in certain foods they are referred to as anti-nutrients, and unsprouted grains are particularly likely to block some of the important enzymes mentioned in this study.  See #7 on this list: https://draxe.com/antinutrients/ , while a shortage of phosphatidyl serine might explain blockage of another necessary enzyme, and a shortage of gut probiotics might explain both).  The study found that the correlation between these enzyme inhibitors in the brain and Alzheimer's Disease was statistically strong enough to be used as a biological marker of AD.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17761554

A 2012 American study noted that it only takes a small amount of any of several proteolytic enzymes to degrade a large amount of beta-amyloid plaque, and that the reaction leaves the enzymes unchanged and intact, so therefore re-usable.  The study further found that there is strong reason to suspect a deficiency of proteolytic enzymes in Alzheimer's Disease, because the vast majority of AD cases occur spontaneously (meaning there is no familial predisposition), likely caused by drugs, toxins and cumulative oxidative damage in aging.  Generation of beta-amyloid plaques was determined to be a normal constant, on-going process, as well as their elimination, with no room for storage of any excess plaque while awaiting the replenishment of proteolytic enzymes.  An increase in the presence of antigens associated with AD also exists, suggesting a possible inflammatory response.  Remarkably, an enzyme need not cross the blood-brain barrier in order to exert a positive influence upon degrading brain plaques.  The enzymes that degrade beta-amyloids tend to have many other functions in the body as well, rather than being limited to just a single purpose; hence it's easy to understand how a transient deficiency might come about.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3367539/ 

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:06:44 PM by R.R. Book »