Author Topic: FREE CAMPSITES  (Read 193 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
FREE CAMPSITES
« on: November 05, 2017, 06:47:28 PM »
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:13:23 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: FREE CAMPSITES
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 11:36:25 PM »
I happened to find the free campsite website, earlier tonight when I was looking at survival land ads.
When I was googling Hoenwald, TN, up popped a free campsite near there, and this led me to the main page of the website, which finds people free campsites.
I had a thought on this, when TSHTF it might not be so easy to look at one's laptop or even phone, to look up sites.
So let's say, a group has an idea where they might bug out to - to a specific location or getting out of a highly populated area and moving inland. Someone could look at possible routes, areas and start doing searches on the free campsite website. Each campsite they list has the GPS coordinates.  Now in a TSHTF scenario, it might be too late to make use of GPS coordinates for the campsites. These might not be so easy to determine on the road.
What I mean is, as you are bugging out, if systems are failing and you can't get much use out of your laptop, cell phone or GPS on your vehicle, or if you are driving an older model non computerized vehicle for your bugout so it won't break down from EMPS or solar situations, there won't be a built in Nav system.

I had the thought it would be good to gather some info ahead of time and manually list it down, as well as enter it into a phone or laptop. If you are heading into TN and you know there is a free campsite near Hoenwald, and you have already located by coordinates what intersections or rural routes the campsite is, you at least have a chance of finding it.
BTW I haven't figured out if that area I was looking at would be safe. I think so, but there is the NMSZ to consider.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: FREE CAMPSITES
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:25:23 PM »
I happened to find the free campsite website, earlier tonight when I was looking at survival land ads.
When I was googling Hoenwald, TN, up popped a free campsite near there, and this led me to the main page of the website, which finds people free campsites.
I had a thought on this, when TSHTF it might not be so easy to look at one's laptop or even phone, to look up sites.
So let's say, a group has an idea where they might bug out to - to a specific location or getting out of a highly populated area and moving inland. Someone could look at possible routes, areas and start doing searches on the free campsite website. Each campsite they list has the GPS coordinates.  Now in a TSHTF scenario, it might be too late to make use of GPS coordinates for the campsites. These might not be so easy to determine on the road.
What I mean is, as you are bugging out, if systems are failing and you can't get much use out of your laptop, cell phone or GPS on your vehicle, or if you are driving an older model non computerized vehicle for your bugout so it won't break down from EMPS or solar situations, there won't be a built in Nav system.

I had the thought it would be good to gather some info ahead of time and manually list it down, as well as enter it into a phone or laptop. If you are heading into TN and you know there is a free campsite near Hoenwald, and you have already located by coordinates what intersections or rural routes the campsite is, you at least have a chance of finding it.
BTW I haven't figured out if that area I was looking at would be safe. I think so, but there is the NMSZ to consider.

Excellent idea, Barb, and also that idea of writing lists manually is the best of all.  No electricity needed to read it.