Author Topic: Passing on skills to your children  (Read 6664 times)

chaunska

Re: Passing on skills to your children
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 06:29:05 PM »
I always hoped that survival skills would be second nature to my kids.   Now I am sure they are.   I've noticed when they are playing, they are doing some of the skills that they have learned.    Here are some pictures of shelters that my son built all by himself!!!   He is only 6, and I thought he did an excellent job.   It rained hard last night and they stayed dry inside.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:32:43 PM by chaunska »

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »
Great pictures, and kudos to your kids! :D
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

angeltoes2000

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 07:03:52 PM »
well done , chaunska and cute kids!

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
This is a great subject, and one that needs to be revived.  Sometimes we get so caught up in our own agenda regarding prepping, we forget about the kids.  my children are raised with families of their own, but I am such a proud mother when I see the skills I taught my girls bearing fruit and being passed on to my granddaughters.

My children were assigned regular chores that had to be completed every day.  They all had to take turns cleaning certain areas of the home, preparing dinner, cleaning up afterwards, and they learned to sew, cook, and even churn butter!  They learned about pulling weeds and gardening, heating a house with wood, canning and freezing, They learned the importance of a well stocked pantry, and two of them do that to this day.  Not all my children believe in Planet X, but the skills are there, and they learned in the process to be strong individuals not afraid of hard work, and to not fall apart in a crisis.

Lets talk some more about ways to teach these skills to our children, and how to enable them to shoulder responsibility and not be waiting to be rescued.

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 09:12:58 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I came across this illustration on the internet and it contains a really useful checklist of age appropriate chores for children.
This checklist is based on the teachings Maria Montessori (August 31, 1870 – May 6, 1952), an Italian educator and doctor whose educational philosophy is still in use today in schools throughout the world.

I'd like to add shoveling snow on the list for the 12 year old category, which my oldest son had to do alot of lately ;)

~pB
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 05:41:18 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I came across this illustration on the internet and it contains a really useful checklist of age appropriate chores for children.
This checklist is based on the teachings Maria Montessori (August 31, 1870 – May 6, 1952), an Italian educator and doctor whose educational philosophy is still in use today in schools throughout the world.

I'd like to add shoveling snow on the list for the 12 year old category, which my oldest son had to do alot of lately ;)

~pB

pbutter, what a great list!!
I heartily agree, shoveling snow should be on the list.  ;D
I am so glad your boy does help a lot with that. BTW one more winter storm on the way maybe to you by Monday-Tuesday. I know you are done with snow.
All The Best and stay safe and well,
Barb Townsend