Author Topic: Items to store for a child's comfort during and after the shift.  (Read 2454 times)

Endtimesgal_2012

If the child is young, most likely their favorite teddy or doll or blankie will be the most important.  This item will help the child to feel more secure, this is a proven fact.  Do not underestimate the importance for them to have such an item even though it is kind of a pain at times.  During this terrible time is not when we try to make them forget about it.

I think the next important item of all is to have books.  Books for all ages, in a variety of subjects including non fiction as well as fiction.  Also, it will be important to have writing paper and pens and pencils and crayons.

Of course at our compound, we have many board games, decks of cards, along with a wide variety numerous books.

What items do you want to keep on hand?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Items to store for a child's comfort during and after the shift.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:36:01 PM »
If the child is young, most likely their favorite teddy or doll or blankie will be the most important.  This item will help the child to feel more secure, this is a proven fact.  Do not underestimate the importance for them to have such an item even though it is kind of a pain at times.  During this terrible time is not when we try to make them forget about it.

I think the next important item of all is to have books.  Books for all ages, in a variety of subjects including non fiction as well as fiction.  Also, it will be important to have writing paper and pens and pencils and crayons.

Of course at our compound, we have many board games, decks of cards, along with a wide variety numerous books.

What items do you want to keep on hand?

Endtimesgal+2012 I have all those on my list and adding these:
record player with some 45s and 78s and LPs.
Wind up players too
Fisher - Price type sturdy childrens toys like their little kids TV or music toys with moving images when you turn it on.
A stash of clean cardboard boxes that can be unfolded and put together for kids to make forts. Helps keep them from going stir crazy.
An assortment of kids size futons pillows and blankets, little tarps and tents etc. for them.
Flashlights

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 05:57:20 PM »
Those are all great ideas, thanks!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:23:24 PM »
Those are all great ideas, thanks!

Endtimesgal thanks so much for all you are doing on here.  :)

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 10:33:08 AM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that children can be distracted by "helping."  Find things for them to do, even if it is minor, for instance, they can gather sticks in a small basket for starting fires, or finding pine cones, or you can direct them to help a younger sibling by playing a game with them or telling them as story.  It will help them deal with the stress and forget their own fears.

One great example was brought home to me when my daughter's granddaughter came to visit her and they went to the garden or berry bushes.  The great granddaughter is only 2 1/2, but she has her own little basket, and she looked at the garden and told my daughter, "I need my "bakit" so she could help pick the produce.  She feels so important when she is allowed to "help," and she does a pretty good job with a little direction.  What may seem minor to us can be very important to them and make them feel they are contributing, and it also creates good habits for the future.

When I was a young mother, my first two children were only 11 1/2 months apart. (talk about a job!)  And I trained the oldest from the start to pick up her toys and put them away, fetch me a fresh diaper for her sister, and other small tasks.  So start these things now before things happen and get youngsters in the good habit of helping now.  Children actually enjoy having small responsibilities and it starts them off in the right direction for after the shift when every person will need to contribute for the welfare of the group.  They actually like being "mother's helper." especially when appreciated and praised for doing so. No lying around and whining about being "so bored," and wanting mom or dad to wait on them hand and foot.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 04:42:25 AM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that children can be distracted by "helping."  Find things for them to do, even if it is minor, for instance, they can gather sticks in a small basket for starting fires, or finding pine cones, or you can direct them to help a younger sibling by playing a game with them or telling them as story.  It will help them deal with the stress and forget their own fears.

One great example was brought home to me when my daughter's granddaughter came to visit her and they went to the garden or berry bushes.  The great granddaughter is only 2 1/2, but she has her own little basket, and she looked at the garden and told my daughter, "I need my "bakit" so she could help pick the produce.  She feels so important when she is allowed to "help," and she does a pretty good job with a little direction.  What may seem minor to us can be very important to them and make them feel they are contributing, and it also creates good habits for the future.

When I was a young mother, my first two children were only 11 1/2 months apart. (talk about a job!)  And I trained the oldest from the start to pick up her toys and put them away, fetch me a fresh diaper for her sister, and other small tasks.  So start these things now before things happen and get youngsters in the good habit of helping now.  Children actually enjoy having small responsibilities and it starts them off in the right direction for after the shift when every person will need to contribute for the welfare of the group.  They actually like being "mother's helper." especially when appreciated and praised for doing so. No lying around and whining about being "so bored," and wanting mom or dad to wait on them hand and foot.

Endtimesgal that's really wonderful you were able to help teach your children to do a lot of things even when they were so young.
I agree children are way saner when they are allowed to help. Their normal impulse is to work and help, at least to a degree. Figuring out (perhaps in advance) what a child could do to keep busy and feel like a contributing person, that is probably one of the best things we could ever do.