Author Topic: Teaching children survival training  (Read 5696 times)

Linda

• Prolific Member
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Linda

• Prolific Member
Re: Teaching children survival training
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »
This is a great video on teaching your kids survival skills and what to do if they get lost.

Teach Your Children To Survive Exclusive Free Video

Linda

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

chaunska

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:10:02 PM »
This looks like an older post, but I want to touch on it.   I have found the best and funnest way to teach kids survival and primative skills is to camp at Mountain Man Rendezvous.   We do several weeks a year of this primative camping with our kids, rain or shine.   It involves some investment and you will need to learn the skills yourself as well.   Lighting fires with flint and steel is one of my kid's favorites.   They hunt, fish, clean and cook their own food and they want to do it.   We used to sleep in a tipi which I made and then we had to move to a larger marquee after the last 2 babies were born.  We tan hides and make clothes out of them and wear them the entire time.   We bath in the pond or over a bowl.   Smoke meat, and gather nuts and berries.   It's like we step back into time and it feels like home to us.    We have done this their entire lives through rain, sleet, snow, heat, and storms with high wind.   Kansas and Oklahoma are known for their storms.  Anyway, we look forward to our camping trips atleast 3 times a year, sometimes four or five.   I homeschool, so it isn't difficult to do.   That is another thing.   Homeschool your kids....don't let them into those government institutions.   There are great teachers, but their hands are tied in public school.   Anyway, if anyone wants some information about Rendezvous, let me know and I'll post some information.  Also, most people who go to Rendezvous are down to earth good people, and a lot of them are on the same page with Earth Mother cleaning house as we say.  They have a lot to teach.   Also, if you do this regularly, your kids will be used to roughing it and when the sh-t hits the fan, it won't be so shocking.  My kids actually look forward to the cleansing and we talk about it often, even daily as of late.   

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 06:22:30 AM »
What a great post chaunska. Your children will be well rounded and able to survive the elements and a valuable asset to others . What a great way to teach them survival skills.

Thanks and welcome to the Town Hall if I haven't done so before.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:12:54 PM »
Teaching children survival training is a very important skill, but unfortunately most of us do not possess these skills ourselves.  This is where taking the children camping, (and I do not mean in a motor home) and showing them how to "rough it" by sleeping on the ground in either a tent or simply lying under the stars, is good.  When my children were young, my husband and I used to take them camping and we did not use a camp trailer or a tent, but slept in bags under the stars.  We cooked all our meals over an open fire, hauled water from the river, and used an outhouse.  At that time the last thought on our minds was preparing ourselves or them to face a time when we might have to live like that all the time.  If I had the knowledge I have today, I would have taught them the importance of digging a hole before elimination, and then covering it back up and the proper areas to do this in, and how to start a fire without a cigarette lighter or matches, and other really good skills.  For most of us, these are skills we have not had any desire to learn, seeing no necessity.  But it is not too late for all of us to learn them now.

I read a good blog a while back that suggested shutting off your breakers on a Friday night, and figuring out how to live for the weekend without electricity, television, etc, and no trips to the grocery store.  How many of us, (especially newbies) do not realize that if some disaster happens, even if our house is still standing, it is only a matter of a few days before the food in the freezer spoils, and no water comes out of the taps, and our toilets do not flush? 

Most of us need to learn survival skills and be able to include our children in these lessons.

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 09:46:43 PM »
This is a great topic, and I thank those who posted some of the great ideas and links on this thread.
I have three children, one being an adult, the others- a preteen and a toddler (yikes!lol)
The preteen is a gentle soul and a gentleman who has had trouble "coming out of his shell" so to speak. My concern with him was his lack of self-confidence and faced with possibly making quick and difficult decisions if times get tough, I do not want him to be paralyzed with self doubt. I tried many different approaches (books, sports, clubs) to boost his esteem and none really work.
A few months ago, I enrolled him in a Martial Arts afterschool program and was pleasantly surprised that he took to his classes very quickly. It is awesome that they emphasize a lot of the values that we uphold at home like Integrity, Truth, Hard Work, and Team Work as well as my son gets to learn how to defend himself.  He is already an orange belt and he is so proud (I am too)! He is more sure of himself which is such a great plus.
With me writing all this, I think it may be good to incorporate some Martial Arts training into a young person's routine, even if it is a Saturday class or watching a video if there are distance / time restraints. So many good lessons can be learned and only enhances what is taught at home.
Blessings All
~pB
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 07:34:51 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more pbutter72!  It was interesting, as soon as I read the very first part of your post, I was going to suggest to you some type of Martial Arts, because that's what helped my son so much!!  And then when I read further and saw that was what you were getting at, it was a synchronistic moment for sure!  Thanks for posting!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
This is a great topic, and I thank those who posted some of the great ideas and links on this thread.
I have three children, one being an adult, the others- a preteen and a toddler (yikes!lol)
The preteen is a gentle soul and a gentleman who has had trouble "coming out of his shell" so to speak. My concern with him was his lack of self-confidence and faced with possibly making quick and difficult decisions if times get tough, I do not want him to be paralyzed with self doubt. I tried many different approaches (books, sports, clubs) to boost his esteem and none really work.
A few months ago, I enrolled him in a Martial Arts afterschool program and was pleasantly surprised that he took to his classes very quickly. It is awesome that they emphasize a lot of the values that we uphold at home like Integrity, Truth, Hard Work, and Team Work as well as my son gets to learn how to defend himself.  He is already an orange belt and he is so proud (I am too)! He is more sure of himself which is such a great plus.
With me writing all this, I think it may be good to incorporate some Martial Arts training into a young person's routine, even if it is a Saturday class or watching a video if there are distance / time restraints. So many good lessons can be learned and only enhances what is taught at home.
Blessings All
~pB

Pbutter it's so good to see your post here.
I am very glad your son is now in martial arts and doing so well.
There is no doubt in my mind how valuable these lessons are.
When my son was growing up he started getting roughed up a bit by local gang guys. These stopped when he grew a couple feet and had some martial arts under his belt. A friend took him up to a brown belt in Akido. Well they had a bit more to go...but it really helped in his feeling of confront.
We really did go through some rough incidents...thank the Lord we were not seriously victimized but  a few of us had some close calls. I do believe even being aware of martial arts helped, even me ...and I had no lessons...
Well I don't need to get into all that in this a particular post.
Let's just say, any survival group would be lucky to have a martial arts instructor...and adequate room for the kids to work out.  :)
Blessings...
Barb T.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »
I have a grandson who was home schooled and he was a very gentle soul.  He related well to adults, but got picked on by children his own age.  Then his parents sent him to junior high school. They got him involved in jazz band.  he learned to play saxophone and eventually became so good at it, he was well known, and became very popular.  When the school would have a concert and he was a featured player, the kids would all whistle and cheer.  Now he is an adult, and has all the self confidence a person should have.  He is a hard worker, responsible, independent, and I am a proud grandmother.

So what am I saying?  There are many ways to teach self confidence, my grandson's parents are city folk, my son in law is a professional musician and they are not proficient in outdoor skills, sadly, but this still worked to teach my grandson confidence and now he has relocated to the PNW, and will have lots of opportunities to learn some survival skills from his new friends there, since that area is very inclined to outdoor activities.

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »
Thank you Barb, Enlightenme, and Endtimesgal for sharing your experiences! It is so good to read these posts and see how others deal with similar circumstances. I am also glad that these experiences turned out well, it is my hope that my son will continue to carry the values and skills that he is learning well into adulthood.

Peace!

~ pB
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 11:44:50 PM »
Here are a few workbooks you can use to work with the kids.

http://nsgd.gso.uri.edu/aku/akue93002.pdf

http://crystalspringspreserve.com/docs/Survival%20Pre%20and%20Post%20visit%20activities.pdf

Below is a Wilderness Survival Boy Scout Merit Badge Pamphlet

http://www.troop149mchenry.org/Wildersness%20Survival%20MB.pdf

http://www.troop149mchenry.org/wildsurv.pdf

Below is a FAA Survival Manual

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/media/CAMISurvivalManual.pdf

Below is a  You Tube video

Survival Training for Kids Part 1 (12:40 long)
This also gives you access to other videos in the series
[/b] 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvIIHV56S4k

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 11:18:48 PM »
I will post this in the schooling section also

Edible Plants
The first 2 links are just pictured forage type books

http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wfs/wfsURBFORAGER.pdf

http://media2.fwpublications.com.s3.amazonaws.com/GNL/Unofficial-Hunger-Games-Edible-Plants-Download.pdf

The link below is a high school horticulture book

https://ia600406.us.archive.org/9/items/horticulturetext02davi/horticulturetext02davi.pdf

I have this file from a few years ago but could not find it on the net again? It is edible plant book for grades 2-3 if you would like message me and I can email the file to you.

EDIBLE PLANT PARTS GRADES 2-3
written by Karen Chambers, Pamela Emery
for the California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom