Author Topic: Soothing Your Baby (colic, teething, etc)  (Read 4340 times)

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
Soothing Your Baby (colic, teething, etc)
« on: August 29, 2013, 08:53:32 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I think that it would be helpful to share some Natural and/ or Homeopathic tips and tricks from soothing a colicky infant and  a teething toddler to alleviating a young child's fever.

Feel free to post here!

Thank you  :)

~pB
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
Re: Soothing Your Baby (colic, teething, etc)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »
Hello Everyone!

Here is an article that suggests some remedies for teething. The list is compiled by the author by gathering information from forums posts made by other moms. Many of these remedies are age old and time proven, including:
  • Cold Fruit or Vegetables
  • Wooden Teething Toys and Rings
  • Clove-Oil

Natural Teething Home Remedies: 10 Most Popular Recommendations

http://www.hippiedippiebebe.com/health/remedies/natural-teething-home-remedies/

~pB

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:53:22 PM »
I found some information on how to properly swaddle an infant, I personally swaddled all three of my children with great success. There is so much debate for and against, I found it helpful. :)

Here is an article on what swaddling is and how to:

Swaddling – what is Swaddling

"Swaddling is an age-old technique for keeping a making a baby feel secure. Although it’s fallen out of favour in the Western world, many Eastern cultures and tribal people still use it.

To swaddle your baby, spread a cotton cot sheet out flat, with one corner folded over a little. Lay your baby face up on the sheet with his neck resting against the fold. Wrap the left corner of the sheet over his body and tuck it beneath him. Bring the bottom corner over his feet, and then wrap the right corner around him, leaving only his head and neck exposed. Don’t cover your baby’s face with the sheet, since that could cause him to overheat or suffocate.Beware of overheating your baby; the aim is to make him feel secure rather than keep him warm. Avoid using a blanket for this,and make sure you don’t wrap your baby too tightly, or his circulation could be cut off.

Swaddling creates a slight pressure around your baby’s body that gives most newborns a sense of security because it mirrors the pressure they would have felt in utero. For some babies it becomes the trigger for sleep, but others don’t enjoy it."

Source: http://www.spiritindia.com/2005/baby-care-swaddling-what-is-swaddling-945/

The following article discusses the pros and cons in an Q&A format:

The Great Swaddling Debate

http://www.pennilessparenting.com/2012/01/great-swaddling-debate.html

Swaddle Blankets for sale:

2 Pack Cotton SwaddleMe

http://www.naturalbabyhome.com/swaddleme1.html?AdID=6840cm00cm07323030cm0pink

Simple instructions on swaddling:

Native American Baby:

Sami (Indigenous people of Norway and other Scandinavian countries) Woman and Child

~pB

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:34:03 AM »
Hi Pbutter! Another great Topic!
I swaddled all my babies, for the first few weeks.
They weren't totally swaddled all the time, of course.
This really helped a whole lot, especially in the first 2 weeks. My Mother taught me to do that with my first baby. She came and stayed with me and imparted quite a lot of knowledge about swaddling, breastfeeding, etc. I will always be grateful for that. I hadn't been aware that the new infant will startle so much unless swaddled. So she taught me that, the first day home from the hospital.
I was able to help my daughter when her first baby was born.
 :)

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:49:25 PM »
Hi Pbutter! Another great Topic!
I swaddled all my babies, for the first few weeks.
They weren't totally swaddled all the time, of course.
This really helped a whole lot, especially in the first 2 weeks. My Mother taught me to do that with my first baby. She came and stayed with me and imparted quite a lot of knowledge about swaddling, breastfeeding, etc. I will always be grateful for that. I hadn't been aware that the new infant will startle so much unless swaddled. So she taught me that, the first day home from the hospital.
I was able to help my daughter when her first baby was born.
 :)

Hi Barb!

Thank you for sharing and yes, I sure hope that this is one of those traditions that will continue to be passed down to the future generations!

~pB

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I would like to share another natural way to sooth the colicky teether- and that is with a Baltic Amber teething necklace!

I work at a school where we serve some families of Polish heritage and started seeing some of the children coming into school wearing amber necklaces. Figuring that it was more than a little fashion statement, I asked one of the moms the reason for the necklaces and she had told me that it helps sooth a teething child and reduces drooling. I found this so cool! I looked in to this further and found the following:
  • The child does not put the necklace in the mouth but the healing of properties of the amber gets absorbed through the skin.
  • Each of the necklaces are short enough and light enough not to be noticed by the toddler
  • Each bead is knotted in place and the clasp from the necklace detaches once tugged (to prevent choking)
  • Baltic Amber contains 3-8 % succinic acid. Succinic Acid is a natural component of plant and animal tissues, and it’s beneficial to the human body is in many ways.  It is known to reduce inflammation, helps fight infections and respiratory disease and improves the body’s immunity. Baltic amber is also a natural analgesic that will help calm the child

Ancient Europeans valued Baltic amber for its seemingly magical healing properties but it was also sought after in Ancient Egypt and China as well!

Read more about that here:

"Baltic Amber and the Ancient Amber Trade"
http://archaeology.about.com/od/baterms/qt/baltic_amber.htm

Read more about the healing properties of Baltic Amber:

"Healing Baltic Amber Necklaces and Amber Teething Necklaces for Babies"
http://www.blessedmaineherbs.com/apde.html

http://www.healingamber.ca/About-Baltic-Amber_ep_41.html

Where to buy:

http://www.amberjewelryglam.com/index.php?productID=1148

http://www.momandbabyshop.com/momma-goose-amber-teething-baroque-rainbow.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=18283950120

I would rack up- these make great baby shower gifts, and also unless anyone lives in the Baltic region or plan to move there, these will be very hard to come by!!

**Parents just have to be mindful to take the necklaces off the neck when the child is about to go to sleep, as an alternative, some parents would fashion the necklace as an anklet and place a sock over the foot.

Hope this info is helpful!

~pB

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 01:41:01 PM »
Wow, pbutter72! That is some great info! I had not heard of healing amber, ever!
Wonderful to know this. It's amazing what people can learn from other cultures.  :)

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 07:38:23 PM »
Wow, pbutter72! That is some great info! I had not heard of healing amber, ever!
Wonderful to know this. It's amazing what people can learn from other cultures.  :)

You are absolutely right Yowbarb! There is so much wisdom left by Ancient cultures throughout the world- this is the kind of information that may prove helpful in years to come :)