Author Topic: Miso as a protector against radiation  (Read 5226 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: quantities of miso
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 12:44:33 AM »

Since we're talking about chickens and their usefulness, plus ability to help regenerate degraded soils, what is the thought about feeding them a bit of miso during the times when a human might need it as well?  Seems logical it would protect a chicken as well as a human?
ilinda, I just did a quick search and found a little discussion about types of soybean as feed... Someone was asking about raw, the answer was no... that the soy product had to be subjected to heat before feeding to chickens...
Then someone said her chickens loved tempeh (which is a type of fermented soy food, a macrobiotic staple food for hundreds of years.)
This is the link to the discussion:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/soybean.941777/

I also read that a soy and corn based diet not the best for chickens, [ http://www.wellfedhomestead.com/should-chickens-eat-soy ] but we are talking about supplementing their diet with some fermented soy so that should be OK...
Will continue to search for info about feeding chickens miso specifically...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Miso as a protector against radiation
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 01:08:39 AM »
ilinda, Socrates RE giving backyard chickens the same protection from radiation, found in miso.

I found one article about providing probiotics to your chickens, periodically.
The article goes into depth about how much etc and it also states, 

"Another approach is to feed your chickens a small amount of food that contains these same good bacteria."

"Natural sources of these probiotics include yogurt, sauerkraut, sourdough, miso, and soft cheeses."

Yowbarb Note: The article cautions on too much dairy and gives guidelines such as raw milk soft cheese is best,  and not a ton of it. The article does not state in what form or how to give the miso, I'd venture to say just mix it in with feed... out in the yard...

http://blog.chickenwaterer.com/2015/03/probiotics-for-chickens.html

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: Miso as a protector against radiation (for animals)
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 04:54:39 AM »
and don't forget your dog needs fermented foods, too. I must've mentioned it before, but i once heard this guy tell that his dogs lived 3 times longer than dogs of the breed he had do, thanks to a diet of:
- seaweed
- fermented veggies
- raw meat
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Miso as a protector against radiation (for animals)
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 05:02:04 PM »
and don't forget your dog needs fermented foods, too. I must've mentioned it before, but i once heard this guy tell that his dogs lived 3 times longer than dogs of the breed he had do, thanks to a diet of:
- seaweed
- fermented veggies
- raw meat

Thanks for posting. All new info to me!