Author Topic: Find Your Survival Place: Land ads, misc postings  (Read 37364 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Find Your Survival Place: Land ads, misc postings
« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »
Yowbarb Note: The previous Governor of NC, a Republican tried to bring fracking into North Carolina. Although there is now a
Democratic Governor and the moratorium is holding, that could all be reversed with a Supreme court Decision.

http://earthjustice.org/features/north-carolina-and-fracking

THE FRACKED FACT QUIZ

Local governments in North Carolina can ban fracking within their communities.

Answer: FALSE

Local governments in North Carolina are prohibited from banning fracking in their communities by state law. It is also illegal to reveal the chemicals used in fracking by oil and gas companies.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #226 on: March 30, 2017, 11:24:34 PM »
Yowbarb Note: North Carolina Counties Map, and a few land ads from Land Watch.

To my knowledge, no fracking up in the far NW corner of the state, which is mostly mountains.
For starters, the counties up in that NW portion: ASHE, ALLEGHENY, WATAUGA, WILKES, AVERY, and CALDWELL.

The fracking map (of potential fracking areas) shows there could be fracking in some counties...
The closest counties which could end up with fracking are Stokes and Yadkin to the east.
There is still a moratorium on fracking.
This first ad might work for a group... not so much when it is divided up.
I do not know if there are restrictions on what you could build. It would take more homework. Contact #s and more images, see at link below.

http://www.landwatch.com/North_Carolina_land_for_sale/Ashe_County  ASHE, WILKES Counties   Cable, DSL, Telephone

96.69 Acres   Glendale Springs, Ashe County, North Carolina
$191,000 This beautiful and secluded tract is located about a mile from Blue Ridge Parkway on Old Highway 16 and offers nice trails, plenty of road frontage, up to 2,800′ elevations!

Looking for a large and unspoiled property in the North Carolina Mountains? How about one on the Blue Ridge, about a mile off the Parkway? Then look no further! This parcel is one of the nice, undisturbed tracts remaining in Wilkes County. It offers spectacular views, elevations over 2,800’, and several ridges with many homesite possibilities!

This heavily wooded property features a long ridgetop, springs, streams, trails and a number of hollows. It’s just the right place for a weekend retreat or family compound. Where else could you find such variety, seclusion and privacy?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2017, 04:51:59 PM »
North Carolina land. Here I thought NC had managed to ban all fracking. It could still happen. 

http://rafiusa.org/issues/landowner-rights-and-fracking/fracking-map-in-nc/

In 2014, [Republican] North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory signed a law lifting the state’s ban on fracking and making it legal for the Mining and Energy Commission to issue fracking permits as early as spring 2015.

In March 2015, the MEC began accepting permit requests for drilling. However, the commission was halted only months later by a federal judge who issued a new moratorium on fracking over a challenge to the constitutionality of the appointments to the MEC.

Some North Carolinians worry that the current regulations are too weak to protect their groundwater, which half of the state population drinks, and deprive local governments of control.

DID YOU KNOW?
Fracking remains on hold in North Carolina due to the success of a local lawsuit that argued the creation of the MEC violated separation of powers.

The North Carolina General Assembly created the commission in 2012, and most of its members came from that same assembly. A judge issued a stay, prohibiting the commission from accepting or processing permit applications for drilling units.

This creates a de facto moratorium on fracking in North Carolina until a ruling on a related case from the state’s Supreme Court.

Last Updated: September 29, 2015
http://earthjustice.org/features/north-carolina-and-fracking

The map [below] shows the potential affected areas and include Sanford, Lee, and Chatham counties in North Carolina.
We have new neighbors from NC, only here a couple of years while building house, clearing acreage, etc., and one of the fasciinating things they said is how they got their water.  It was runoff from the mountain, and those that live on/in the mountains do the same.  You have a sort of "box" in the stream, and as the water flows down, it fills the box, and you can pipe it to your needed location, so presumably you tap the stream a bit higher than your desired location, thus using gravity flow.  They said it worked mostly ok, except for an occasional non-complier type person who would run his gray water into the stream!  Yikes!

You wouldn't want to be downstream from that household.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2017, 10:59:09 PM »
OMG why would anyone run their gray water into the stream...
Well, that is interesting info about the NC water source.
i suppose they filter it, put something in it...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #229 on: April 07, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
http://www.landwatch.com/White-County-Georgia-Land-for-sale/pid/289225911

Cleveland, White County, Georgia Land For Sale - 10 Acres

Price:$99,995

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #230 on: April 08, 2017, 05:09:38 PM »
Yes, our new neighbors said people have some sort of filter and it keeps enough stuff out that people use the water for about everything, IIRC, even drinking.  I'll verify that asap.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #231 on: April 09, 2017, 12:35:31 AM »
Yes, our new neighbors said people have some sort of filter and it keeps enough stuff out that people use the water for about everything, IIRC, even drinking.  I'll verify that asap.

Yes that would be good.
I wonder if even after the filtration some of them use water purification tablets?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2017, 04:36:13 PM »
Yowbarb's Notes:
This Whitetail Properties land is in central north Tennessee - in Putnam County. Hopefully far enough away from the New Madrid center. (See notes farther down.)
According to the karst US map, not a karst area, will take more research for anyone interested in purchasing the property. By the look of the photo the parcel is about 200 feet or more up on a bluff above the river.  It is $332,000 - if you divide that up among 100 adults to jointly own, family and other survival group members that is only about $3320 apiece, for the land. If you have 88 acres, assuming much of it is buildable and 100 adults and their kids, assuming there could be about three central shelter on the same shared lot, storages etc. animal survival places there would be land available to graze animals and grow some food.

ACREAGE 88.3      PRICE $332,000
STATE Tennessee   COUNTY Putnam

https://www.whitetailproperties.com/hunting-land/tennessee/putnam/overlooking-center-hill-lake-north-central-tennessee-cookeville-baxter#tab.top

Very private tract at the end of a dead-end road
Approximately 24 acres of pasture to run livestock or food plot for deer
Ample deer and turkeys in the area
Multiple springs and small waterfalls
Marketable timber
Near the famous Cookeville Boat Dock with a floating restaurant
Views of Center Hill Lake which offers great fishing and recreation
Utilities at the road
Convenient to Cookeville and Baxter
Approximately 1.5 hours to Nashville and Knoxville
Medlin Road
Baxter, Tennessee 38544
Barb's Notes, continued: The very central north of TN doesn't show many quakes, per this map...

ALSO Per this site, Putnam County has low earthquake risk:
http://www.homefacts.com/earthquakes/Tennessee/Putnam-County.html

Earthquake Information for Putnam County, Tennessee:

Putnam County, TN has a very low earthquake risk, with a total of 0 earthquakes since 1931. The USGS database shows that there is a 0.50% chance of a major earthquake within 50km of Putnam County, TN within the next 50 years. [interactive chart on that page]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:56:56 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2017, 04:50:29 PM »
Lots of ticks in TN. I would get a lot of healthy opossums and turn them loose on the land..
They do consume thousands of ticks.

http://www.snopes.com/opossums-kill-ticks-inhibit-the-spread-of-lyme-disease/ 

What is true: Some data indicate opossums eat thousands of deer ticks per season, reducing the number that can go on to spread Lyme Disease to humans.
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-opossums

Natural immunity. Opossums are mostly immune to rabies, and in fact, they are eight times less likely to carry rabies compared to wild dogs.Since their diet allows them to indulge on snails, slugs and beetles, they are a welcome addition to the garden.

Opossums also keep rats and cockroaches at bay by competing with them for food. In fact,
it’s common for opossums to kill cockroaches and rats if they find them in their territory.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #234 on: April 18, 2017, 11:24:46 PM »
Yowbarb Note: Not sure how useful this site is. As with all land purchases, check out any restrictions. Some land has stipulations no camping etc. which is not very helpful if you will be building on it and want to stay there for survival reasons. "Basically no full time camping, no mobiles. Cabins and stick and modular homes are permitted" This was posted in the ad, 15 Acres Tennessee Seven Lake Area
BillyLand  http://www.billyland.com/    auctions bid or buy

This list shows only land with Monthly Payments
less than $200 per Month.

http://www.billyland.com/Cheap-Monthly-Payments

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #235 on: April 19, 2017, 01:33:58 AM »
Ad for land near Gainesboro, TN.
$55,000   23.80 acres    :o
https://www.survivalrealty.com/  Survival retreats and real estate agents worldwide.

23.8 Acres of Pure Seclusion – Prepper Dream!

$55,000   23.80 acres
Great 23.0 acres of wooded secluded acreage for only $55,000.00. This fabulous homestead land has it all, views, rock seasonal waterfalls. This is a very unique quiet property, plenty of space for your dream on or off grid home. There is also no zoning. If you enjoy rural, living, and solitude this may be the perfect place to call home. Great for hunting as well. No homeowners association, and private roads.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #236 on: April 23, 2017, 03:34:35 PM »
There was an ad in ACRES U.S.A.  under "Help Wanted".
It reads:
"ENERGETIC ORGANIC FARMING experienced couple WANTED TO RUN 30 ACRE FARM IN SE PA.  House, barn, farm equipment available for your use. Email lynnhitschler@me.com."  There was a phone number, but since the person placing the ad assumed it would only be seen by those reading ACRES, U.S.A., I did not include it here.  It sounds very interesting for someone with organic farming experience who also wants to relocate.

And BTW, I know nothing of the owner, or anyone or anything else about the ad or the property, as I know only what I read in the ad, and have no financial incentive in posting this. 

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »
Here is another piece of interesting-sounding property, in which I have no financial interest, know nothing about it, except what I read in the classified ad in the Salem News Extra (the free portion of the Salem News), dated April 11, 2017.

"NEW PRICE ON 82 ACRES w/1/2 MILE FRONTAGE ON THE BARNEY CREEK  NATIONAL FOREST ON 3 sides, 20 acres in luscious pasture, rest wooded.  3 BR, 1 BA home, DW, ponds & spring.  $199,500.  MSL #16039394SN

Note:  I think the house is probably a fixer-upper, but cannot verify.  Still, the creek frontage, plus spring is a real plus.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2017, 01:06:07 AM »
Here is another piece of interesting-sounding property, in which I have no financial interest, know nothing about it, except what I read in the classified ad in the Salem News Extra (the free portion of the Salem News), dated April 11, 2017.

"NEW PRICE ON 82 ACRES w/1/2 MILE FRONTAGE ON THE BARNEY CREEK  NATIONAL FOREST ON 3 sides, 20 acres in luscious pasture, rest wooded.  3 BR, 1 BA home, DW, ponds & spring.  $199,500.  MSL #16039394SN

Note:  I think the house is probably a fixer-upper, but cannot verify.  Still, the creek frontage, plus spring is a real plus.

ilinda I was thinking it might be Salem, NH but it is Salem, Missouri. :)
I found the ad... Lovely. It does seem like a real deal.
A person would have to make sure their building sites were set up above potential flood areas. The little house is up a little bit higher....

http://www.salem-mo-real-estate.com/search/Recreational-Property/Missouri/Dent/82-ACRES-w-ONE-HALF-MILE-FRONTAGE-ON-BARNEY-CREEK-/921945

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2017, 01:12:46 AM »
I sort of love Missouri although never been there.
My grandmother's people were from there.
Grandma Vina Viola Smith and her sister Grace were born in Missouri.
Vina married Solon Townsend, my grandfather...