Author Topic: HAM RADIO and Other Communications  (Read 13306 times)

Tiburon

Re: HAM RADIO and Other Communications
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35:59 PM »
Thank you Barb,

My goal is to get people stimulated in alternate forms of wireless communication, as the cellular grid
will go down because of an EMP, CME, or martial law shutdown, only a matter of time. We have
become WAY TO DEPENDENT on cellular phones for the last 10 years.  EVERYONE needs a backup plan
when it does go down for whatever reason."

I am trying right now, to design/create a bargain 'dual-band' antenna that can slung over a tree branch for rapid deployment/retrieval (communications on the run ;D ).  I can manufacture them for
about $25-30 USD. They will be water/rain-resistant and flexible to be stored in a loop about 8"-12" in diameter.  I can tune the antennas to be efficient in either the HAM (licensed) 2m & 70cm, or the public (license free) MURS & GMRS (simple license required) bands.

Please PM me here through this forum for more details. Thank you for your time . . .

PS: Through a 'repeater' system I have a made a 'CLEAR' contact over 80 miles away using one of
      these antennas.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:17:27 AM by The GW »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »
Sounds good, GW...

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 05:47:15 PM »
It's on topic but a different product.
I have installed a CB radio in my truck.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 05:54:28 PM »

That's an excellent idea as well Schi-502, and probably the option I will be going with as well!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 05:57:21 PM »

That sounds great...what happens to the CBs if the grids fail...anything?
I'm not real clear how that all works, the CBs and the hams...
It would be really wonderful if these could keep on working...  :)

Tiburon

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 10:48:30 PM »
Ok, as far as ANY kind of communication goes . . .  Nothing that is monitored or maintained by the Govt.
will survive with a greater certainty!  'CB' <Citzens Band> is ok as an immediate form of communication,
but you will tire (and become frustrated) from ALL of the static and global transmission interference
(the nature of AM <amplitude modulation> and the 27Mhz <11m> frequency) as there is no real protocol
in it's use (basically, a free-for-all) whereas, the other forms (GMRS, HAM) require procedural use.

Though I am willing to bet that there will be hardly ANY order (radio comms included) in ANY system
when the SHTF.  I believe there will be a sense of security and organization on the local level with GMRS
users and HAM operators alike . . .  I have seen this type of cooperation with major disasters around the
World providing communications relief when all of "the other's" have failed.

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 08:35:49 AM »
Ok, as far as ANY kind of communication goes . . .  Nothing that is monitored or maintained by the Govt.
will survive with a greater certainty!  'CB' <Citzens Band> is ok as an immediate form of communication,
but you will tire (and become frustrated) from ALL of the static and global transmission interference
(the nature of AM <amplitude modulation> and the 27Mhz <11m> frequency) as there is no real protocol
in it's use (basically, a free-for-all) whereas, the other forms (GMRS, HAM) require procedural use.

Though I am willing to bet that there will be hardly ANY order (radio comms included) in ANY system
when the SHTF.  I believe there will be a sense of security and organization on the local level with GMRS
users and HAM operators alike . . .  I have seen this type of cooperation with major disasters around the
World providing communications relief when all of "the other's" have failed.

Very interesting. So, what would you suggest to someone (me) not knowlegable about these forms of communication? "Simplicity" tells me to purchase Walkies...
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

Tiburon

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »
Will,

Get your GMRS license for an efficiently simple but powerful form of communication!!!

Getting a license for GMRS is very easy and DOESN'T require a written test,
just $85 for a 5 year license and ALL are covered in the household and immediate family
when you are issued (2-3 days) a callsign.

More info here:

ULS homepage:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home

Register here to create an online profile with the ULS here:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do

Hope this helps!  :D

As I had stated earlier:

My goal is to get people stimulated in alternate forms of wireless communication, as the cellular grid
will go down because of an EMP, CME, or martial law shutdown, only a matter of time.
We have become WAY TO DEPENDENT on cellular phones for the last 10 years.  EVERYONE needs a
backup plan when it does go down for whatever reason."

I am trying right now, to design/create a bargain 'dual-band' antenna that can slung over a tree branch for
rapid deployment/retrieval (communications on the run ;D ).  I can manufacture them for about $25-30
USD. They will be water/rain-resistant and flexible to be stored in a loop about 8"-12" in diameter.
I can tune the antennas to be efficient in either the HAM (licensed) 2m & 70cm, or the public (license
free) MURS & GMRS (simple license required) bands.

Please PM me here through this forum for more details. Thank you for your time . . .

PS: Through a 'repeater' system I have a made a 'CLEAR' contact over 80 miles away using one of
      these antennas.

UPDATE:  This 'bargain' performance antenna is in the final prototype testing stage, and will be ready for limited production on/or about: 12/15/12 (target date)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:20:08 AM by The GW »

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 06:22:30 PM »
This certainly sounds exceptional, I am extremely interested in your dual-band antenna.  And I'm definitely going to check into the licensing as well.  Thanks so much for the information and posting!

Tiburon

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »
Thanks enlighten!

Here is  web site to determine if any GMRS repeaters are in your area!
You need to look closely at their membership requirements as some are
'members only', 'free membership' and 'open' types.

http://www.mygmrs.com/browse

If ANYONE has ANY specific questions please 'private' mail me!   8)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:58:23 PM by The GW »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »
The Gw thanks for sharing the info.  :)

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 07:25:13 AM »
GW, Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely look into getting a license and check out the links you have provided.
Thanks again....
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 12:27:54 PM »
GW, Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely look into getting a license and check out the links you have provided.
Thanks again....

Willsorr75 we haven't heard from you in awhile. How's it going?  :)
Did you ever get your ham license? I didn't, but I need to get one in the next few weeks.
We all need to...
All The Best,
Barb T.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 05:54:41 AM »
Thanks again....

Willsorr75 we haven't heard from you in awhile. How's it going?  :)
Did you ever get your ham license? I didn't, but I need to get one in the next few weeks.
We all need to...
All The Best,
Barb T.
We have an older SWR and need to power it up to see if we can get anything.  For the first time experimenter with these things, what is the best length antenna wire?  I have the antenna wire all coiled up waiting to be strung into the correct length (apparently length of wire is important) and up off the ground somehow.  ?In the trees?  I think I wrote down somewhere the two frequencies to check first, but not sure where I wrote them!

Any ideas of best frequencies to listen to?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 11:38:04 PM »
I just moved the Topic, Ham Radio for the Aftertimes to this new board and changed the topic title.
This new board will be all about ham radio and other forms of communications.
Please feel free to post here, adding your expertise and your questions.
- Yowbarb
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:48:20 PM by Yowbarb »