Author Topic: Miso as a protector against radiation  (Read 5713 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Miso as a protector against radiation
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »
Based on the miso posts by you, Socrates, and also by others, Yowbarb, IIRC, I did buy a couple of packages of miso--two different types.  Isn't this something you eat in small quantities?

Do you wait until you think there might be some radioactive fallout?  Or just start now?

Hi again, ilinda...I didn't really answer that so well. Yes, small amts fine. I'm glad we are having this topic revived... I for one need to get back to the miso...

True, you can get miso in little pkgs... I think that is precooked, dried type.
For a little closer to its natural state, a small pkg (cardboard carton) of miso from most any health food stores... Probably ordered online too fairly cheap...
There are some simple uses of it...doesn't have to be too exact

You can make a type of gravy, also can be used to spread on bread...
Just mix equal parts miso and tahini, mix and add small amt hot water... you can add other ingredients...
[last image at bottom, sun-dried tomato, miso and basil spread]

You can make a pot of veg soup, take a nice big blob (non scientific amount) of a mixture of miso and tahini and drop it into the pot. Stir gently... I usually do not add it until the veges are pretty well done...

Will post a couple recipes... For starters, a miso sandwich spread. Looks like it could be just this spread on bread - OR - maybe add sprouts, or whatever... Looking for more traditional macrobiotic recipe not finding just now. Any number of veges and seasonings could be used, finely chopped... might be good to lightly cook then chop, or could be slightly crunchy with raw carrots or nuts if that works. For little kids I would make it softer...

THIS looks yummy and I want to try this:

http://www.everydaydish.tv/videos/umami-miso-spread/   Julie Hasson, www.juliehasson.com
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:28:16 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 05:54:59 PM »
Just wanted to say a word about the Hasson recipe for the miso sandwich spread.... I think those ingredients would be good, actually, in a survival setting...
I'm not an expert on it but to me, the miso plus those other ingredients would be sort of rich in enzymes and help digest the starch in foods such as breads, biscuits, rice, noodles.
You know how it is possible a group might have a big stash of carb-starch type foods, like you mix up and bake, or easily cook.
That type of tangy, tasty gravy, topping spread-type stuff might be just what is needed to make a meal more palatable and add a boost of protein with it.

I can see how a bland mixture, with more tahini than miso, along with some butter or mild oil, might be good on instant mashed potatoes. Also on something like Bisquick biscuits or corn breads.

Also if a group has some food growing such as sprouts, tomatoes and has stored bread or a way to bake bread,
a person could take just about any veg and spread it on bread with that tahini-miso basic spread and that should be quite edible.

It could be mixed up to taste different in small batches as used.
Chopped onions or re-hydrated chopped onions, Mrs. Dash, garlic powder, whatever is on hand, that could be made tasty...

Not possible to please everyone but with some experimentation, possible to get everyone to continue consuming some miso. If a big enough stash could be stored, it might make life easier...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »
Based on the miso posts by you, Socrates, and also by others, Yowbarb, IIRC, I did buy a couple of packages of miso--two different types.  Isn't this something you eat in small quantities?

Do you wait until you think there might be some radioactive fallout?  Or just start now?

Hi again, ilinda...I didn't really answer that so well. Yes, small amts fine. I'm glad we are having this topic revived... I for one need to get back to the miso...

For a little closer to its natural state, a small pkg (cardboard carton) of miso from most any health food stores... Probably ordered online too fairly cheap...

Just mix equal parts miso and tahini, mix and add small amt hot water... you can add other ingredients...

http://www.everydaydish.tv/videos/umami-miso-spread/   Julie Hasson, www.juliehasson.com
Your mention of mixing miso and tahini is the very first time miso has sounded interesting!  I eat a fair amount of tahini so adding miso to "spicen" it up a bit is just the ticket.  Will try this asap. 

The two packages of miso we bought feel as if there's a sort of paste inside.  It's Eden brand and organic, so sounds intriguing, and may have to try it soon, and decide whether to stock up a bit.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 05:00:14 AM »

Your mention of mixing miso and tahini is the very first time miso has sounded interesting!  I eat a fair amount of tahini so adding miso to "spicen" it up a bit is just the ticket.  Will try this asap. 

The two packages of miso we bought feel as if there's a sort of paste inside.  It's Eden brand and organic, so sounds intriguing, and may have to try it soon, and decide whether to stock up a bit.

A paste of miso and tahini is the basis for soups, gravies, sauces, salad dressings, sandwich spreads.  :)
I've always thought of it more like a protein source than a flavoring...
There is a nice combo of proteins there too...

You can flavor it up anyway you like...
I prefer to heat these things, like mix and add boiling hot water... I notice a lot of newer recipes do not heat it. I personally recommend that.
This recipe uses a bit of orange zest...  I never used citrus in the mix as a soup or sauce but this looks kinda good... I don't get why a cold sauce on cooked broccoli... just stir and mix with boiling hot water or lightly simmer a short while cool and add zest etc. for little kids I would not put chopped parsley... but it looks good...

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/tahini-miso-sauce     TAHINI MISO SAUCE   

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 05:09:23 AM »
Yowbarb Note: This recipe uses warm water in it...

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-miso-tahini-dressing-172942    Recipe: Miso Tahini Dressing

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 05:57:57 AM »
I recommend getting a decent sized stash of miso, the containers which are about 12 oz or larger, from which you just scoop out what you need...

Miso comes in sturdy soft plastic containers or round hard plastic or cardboard containers... There's white, yellow, tannish reddish, brown and a deeper brown color...
Some is from rice, some a mixture of soybean and rice; straight soy and Barley (mugi miso). Just heard there is also adzuki bean miso.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81mdYxTabjL._SY450_.jpg   white soybean paste, amazon.com

http://www.southrivermiso.com/resize/images/AZ.jpg?bw=600&bh=600

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 06:12:20 AM »
Here is a basic recipe I used to make a lot...You start with a vegetable nituke which means sauteeing ...
Also means any kind you want. Start with hardest veges and let them cook awhile ... i had a medium sized iron pan and filled it with veg.

Sesame oil in the pan, sliced carrots let that cook awhile...add onions garlic sometimes I added whole beets, chopped.
Top layer could be cabbage, bok choy, any kind greens...
You can add wakame or nori I just did veges mainly at the time...
Into a boiling pot of water,  about a quart or more, I dumped the vegetable nituke...
Let it cook down a bit.
Added a couple big scoops of a mixture, miso, tahini and warm water to make a paste...
I recently read do not boil the miso... so you need to even cool down the pot of veg soup first before adding... A few min after miso-tahini added it's done... you could throw rice in there whatever...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 06:58:26 AM »
Also you can put cubed tofu in the miso pot...

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: quantities of miso
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 10:00:47 AM »
I recommend getting a decent sized stash of miso, the containers which are about 12 oz or larger, from which you just scoop out what you need.
Miso comes in sturdy soft plastic containers or round hard plastic or cardboard containers.
Perhaps one should forgoe western ignorance and take a more Japanese stance on miso...
Miso and rice [hey, why not add tahini?] make an excellent combo; way better than rice alone. Therefore, while so many 'preppers' are stashing tons of rice, why not get yourself a decent barrel of miso?
Should be much cheaper than buying by the oz...
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 09:22:54 PM »
I recommend getting a decent sized stash of miso, the containers which are about 12 oz or larger, from which you just scoop out what you need.
Miso comes in sturdy soft plastic containers or round hard plastic or cardboard containers.
Perhaps one should forgoe western ignorance and take a more Japanese stance on miso...
Miso and rice [hey, why not add tahini?] make an excellent combo; way better than rice alone. Therefore, while so many 'preppers' are stashing tons of rice, why not get yourself a decent barrel of miso?

I agree a barrel would be much better... I had posted about that awhile ago...
I needed to post a source...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 09:23:56 PM »

All the miso recipes use tahini in them, at least any that I have seen or cooked.
All the ones posted here have tahini mixed in with the miso, as the basic for soup, gravy, sandwich spread, etc.
Craving it now...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 04:46:39 PM »

All the miso recipes use tahini in them, at least any that I have seen or cooked.
All the ones posted here have tahini mixed in with the miso, as the basic for soup, gravy, sandwich spread, etc.
Craving it now...
Since we're talking about chickens and their usefulness, plus ability to help regenerate degraded soils, what is the thought about feeding them a bit of miso during the times when a human might need it as well?  Seems logical it would protect a chicken as well as a human?

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: Miso and chickens
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 10:49:22 PM »
As omnivours they will eat anything. It might help them survive terrible conditions. But i'd imagine you'd be feeding them table scraps anyway. [i.e. perhaps containing miso...].
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 12:27:07 AM »

Craving it now...
Since we're talking about chickens and their usefulness, plus ability to help regenerate degraded soils, what is the thought about feeding them a bit of miso during the times when a human might need it as well?  Seems logical it would protect a chicken as well as a human?
ilinda, I think you are onto something here...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Miso and chickens
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 12:29:09 AM »
As omnivours they will eat anything. It might help them survive terrible conditions. But i'd imagine you'd be feeding them table scraps anyway. [i.e. perhaps containing miso...].

Yes, true at least part of the time, table scraps... could have some miso in that...