Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Neumayer Station, Antarctica - Strange Object Planet X?  (Read 24980 times)

Hammerhead

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • Don't be an ostrich
Neumayer Station, Antarctica - Strange Object Planet X?
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:09:02 PM »
Station Location:
The New Center of German Research in Antarctica - Neumayer Station III

Ekström Shelf Ice, Atka Bay, north-eastern Weddell Sea
Position: 70°40'S, 008°16'

Webcam site: http://www.awi.de/NM_WebCam/livemovieT.html

Some interesting photos from 4-26-2011

I'm really not exactly sure what we a looking at here, but it is BIG! after referring to Stellarium, I believe photos 2+3 show the moon rising around 23-0:00 GMT. The moon should be 51% visible and based on the sensitivity of the camera, I believe this is true.

Now the $24,000 question...photo 1. If that is not the moon which it cannot be since the moon is @ 51% visibility, what is it? Wish I could see it again, but the latest cam sequence is fuzzy during these times.

I will keep checking the site for a confirmation of both these objects if they ever let that time be shown again. Hmmmm...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:24:16 PM by Hammerhead »

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: Neumayer Station, Antarctica - Strange Object
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 08:26:29 PM »
nice shot. I wonder what that is ? I went to their website and tried to find that particular picture or others
like it but evidently they only have a days worth of pictures up. The next days pictures overwrites the
previous days. You downloaded it just in time................
I did watch a 1 day movie of the still pictures and for what it is worth; the star field moved from right
to left. So, the object did too I guess.
Good find.   Oh, and they sure aren't kidding when they say they have WhiteOut snow conditions on a
moments notice !

Ancient Prophecy appears to be fulfilled in the Nightly News.

Hammerhead

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • Don't be an ostrich
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:39:27 PM »
I did watch a 1 day movie of the still pictures and for what it is worth; the star field moved from right
Good find.   Oh, and they sure aren't kidding when they say they have WhiteOut snow conditions on a
moments notice !
Yes right to left movement on both objects. I really hope for better conditions in the nights ahead. This object needs to be identified or at least monitored, because no one in the populated part of the world is seeing it!

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:14:01 PM »
moments notice !
Yes right to left movement on both objects. I really hope for better conditions in the nights ahead. This object needs to be identified or at least monitored, because no one in the populated part of the world is seeing it!
Bad News.  >:(  On April 28th at around 10:38 AM CST [ don't know what time that would be there ] the moon
SETS. It will not rise again in the eastnortheast sky till May 12th at around 14:40PM CST....... If an object
that big shows up after the 28th then it isn't the moon.  :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Neumayer Station, Antarctica - Strange Object Planet X?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »
Hammerhead, awesome Topic, thanks!
Yowbarb

Hammerhead

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • Don't be an ostrich
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 06:41:16 PM »
New photos from Neumayer captured 5-12. Hard to explain, but in Stellarium the moon should be out in front of the station like one of the photos above. HOWEVER these shots do not show an object in the skies in front of the station, BUT behind the camera! So where is the moon? Stellarium clearly shows the moon in the same location around 4-26 and today.  So if the Moon is casting the shadow the there are 2 objects in the skies that cannot be explained on 4-26. However if we accept that one of the 2 objects on 4-26 is the moon, the what is causing the shadow on the most recent photos? Something is going on down there that no one can see!

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:19:18 PM »
The short Answer is that is the Shadow of the Communications Radar Dome Tower.
Set Stellarium to 23:00 GMT or the time of the photograph. Then input the Coordinates
for the Research Station which are :   
Ekström Shelf Ice, Atka Bay, north-eastern Weddell Sea
Position: 70°40'S, 8°16'00"W

The Radom Array is North of the Building in the picture and is looking South. [ to my understanding ]
The Sun is way below the Horizon. [ to my understanding ]
The MOON is in the West NorthWest area of the sky; low on the Horizon and is about 3/4 full offering
plenty of light.

It is just a shadow from one of the structures out there and probably is the same structure housing the
Webcam that took the pic.

What Longitude and Latitude was used to set up Stellarium ? To set up my Stellarium I hit the F6 key
and got the pointer in the General area that I wanted it then just changed the numbers as needed
in the coordinate boxes. I got the loccation  of the Station off of the main webpage for them.
I'm glad you told us about those Webcams because I check on it every now and then just not lately.
Keep looking Hammerhead.  ;D
  Ah, found the Picture of the Area.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:53:44 AM by ASEEKERTOO »

Hammerhead

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • Don't be an ostrich
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:39:22 PM »
Seeker, thanks. Now the other half of my observation. If the moon rises/sets in the same location and has the same arc then it would never be in front of the camera, correct? If that is correct then we have 2 unidentified celestial objects in the 4-26 pics. Amazing!

Can you confirm my thinking on the moon's position relative to the camera/station?

As far as Stellarium, I did what you did and entered the coordinates from the station's website.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:43:53 PM by Hammerhead »

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 07:08:43 AM »
Seeker, thanks. Now the other half of my observation. If the moon rises/sets in the same location and has
the same arc then it would never be in front of the camera, correct? If that is correct then we have
2 unidentified celestial objects in the 4-26 pics. Amazing!  Can you confirm my thinking on the moon's
position relative to the camera/station?
         As far as Stellarium, I did what you did and entered the coordinates from the station's website. 
      If the moon rises/sets in the same location and has the same arc then it would never be
in front of the camera, correct?  Can you confirm my thinking on the moon's position relative to the
camera/station? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   I can not confirm that by Stellarium. With Stellarium you have to Zoom out the Picture all the way. Then hit F3 to
type in the object you want, ie, the moon. Then hit F6 to open up the Time/Day change box. Relocate the
Box out of the way. Move the window around by 1 leftclick on the mouse and position the moon where
you want it on the screen. Then go back to the Time/Day Box and change the time by increments of 1 hour.
The Moon AND the Sun do a little dance along the Horizon of the Sky. Sometimes they reach a pretty good
Azimuth or Height but usually they stay pretty low. You may have to got to the Time/Day change box and
increment by a day and process through a couple of months to see the changes in the rise and set locations.
I couldn't tell you right now when the Moon will be back to the location it was in about 3 weeks ago when
it was photographed in the Southern Sky behind the Research Station but someday it will do it again.  ;)
     From what I can see, the Sun and Moon do pass in front of the Radar Dome Webcam.
     While I was doing this; I noticed that Asteriod/Comet 2009 BC was at .0032 Away from the Earth and
pulling away. 2009 BD has made its closest approach. Also, If you run Stellarium, notice how the Planets
are grouped very tightly together near the Sun. ........ ......... The Sun Rises and Set Quickly today; I think it
only stays in the sky for about 7 hours.
     I am going to keep looking at the Webcam in the South Pole from time to time because you never know
what could come into view !   Regards Aseek
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:12:15 AM by ASEEKERTOO »

Hammerhead

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • Don't be an ostrich
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 08:10:03 PM »
Thanks for the assist, Seeker! Eyes to the Skies!

Hammerhead

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • Don't be an ostrich
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 09:14:40 PM »
Mystery solved! I couldn't believe it, but what is being seen in the 1st shots is the moon then a LENS FLARE! I just figured it out tonight after watching the video. The moon is full and passes behind the station, then after it goes by the mystery object appears. HOWEVER this time you can see the faint outline on the station (1910) prior to it going into the sky (1950). Still a great webcam to keep an eye on, but now I know what I am seeing!

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 07:55:03 AM »
Don't know about everybody else but 1 of my 2 brain cells comes to a complete
stop when it tries to figure out what time it is at my location compared to what
time is is at the Neumayer Station.
 So: First, this explains the GMT and UTC time designation and also has time
zone conversion charts.
  http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/gmt/
Here is a much easier chart to use but it only converst to Central Standard
time and Central Daylight Time because it is the one I use.
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/central-time/convert/
   Basically, if one is in the Central Time Zone then ADD 6 hours to the local
to get Greenwich Mean Time  [GMT].

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 08:15:30 AM »
"but what is being seen in the 1st shots is the moon then a LENS FLARE!"

Can we check the case of the moon?  Since the apparent movements Moon and the Sun across the sky are close, but not coincident, and since the Sun was below the horizon at all hours,  could the Moon have been above the horizon at that time and place?  I will try to check, but someone else might be able to get the data quicker.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 08:38:49 AM »
Ah, here we go.

The Moon did not rise nor set at any time at Neumayer Station on the dates of 17 to 20 May, 2011,  acording to http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_rstablew.pl .

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 08:50:03 AM »
Dang, sorry Jim. You got your message in a few seconds before me.
[ took my time posting after that to reverify what I had ]
Here is a stellarium picture of that date and it says the moon was out.
Seeing that Crescent shape on the side of the station in FRONT of it
Hammer was a great catch. Good one.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:52:26 AM by ASEEKERTOO »

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!