Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: The Moon  (Read 30031 times)

Lori

The Moon
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:54:24 AM »
OK Guys,

I know we've talked about this before.  This is one of those times again.  Its been almost a week and the moon remains full.  I went out this morning with binoculars in hand and looked at the moon.   Its still perfectly full.  No sign of any darkening. Not even a sliver.   August 13 was our full moon.  We actually however looked like we had a full moon on Thursday of last week.   Today is the 15th.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/moonphases.html

I'm going to sticky this so we all can Post our thoughts. 

Oleokie

• Trusted Member
Re: The Moon
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:35:18 AM »
Hey Lori, Ya I seen it out this morning too and though it was a tad off too.  Going to check the positions of all the planets this week and will also check the moon to see if it is where it is suppose to be also. I wanted to check Saturn before it is no longer viewable in the evening.

Oleokie

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »
http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/data-services/alt-az-us gives

Altitude    Azimuth    Fraction                                     
                (E of N)  Illuminated

for the moon according to time and place of viewing.

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:11:02 AM »
Concur.  The moon has not been full here as it has been 3/4 to full for the same time frame you are reporting.  However, I have noticed that the Earth is starting to wobble again.  The moon has been setting in the southern hemisphere and is now moving progressively north in the direction of the equator.  The Sun, likewise, has been setting in the northern hemisphere and is moving progressively south.  I am no astrological brainiac like some of you are but I think the northern hemisphere has been tilted closer to the sun, hence, this ungodly heat wave we have all endured.  With the Earth now moving in the opposite direction, i.e. the northern hemisphere being tilted further from the sun, I would hypothesize that we are going to be seeing some very unseasonably cool temperatures in the northern hemisphere. Yes, I know... astronomy for dummies...  Are we on the brink of the blending of the seasons?  How can we be the only ones on the planet that are noticing this??????????????????
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 11:21:49 AM »
OK Guys,

I know we've talked about this before.  This is one of those times again.  Its been almost a week and the moon remains full.  I went out this morning with binoculars in hand and looked at the moon.   Its still perfectly full.  No sign of any darkening. Not even a sliver.   August 13 was our full moon.  We actually however looked like we had a full moon on Thursday of last week.   Today is the 15th.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/moonphases.html

I'm going to sticky this so we all can Post our thoughts.

Lori,
Last night I noticed the full moon, high in the southern sky. Well nearly full, just a tad under.
The deal is, the night before I noticed it had waned more than that.
some kind of wobble...
YB

augonit

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »
Many times I've seen what I thought was a full moon a day or two before and after the actual full moon.  What I'd like to know is why at the same time of night the moon could be in totally different parts of the sky, even on consecutive days.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:52:45 AM »
Sorry if I state the obvious at times but here goes.

I live in Myrtle Beach S.C. so all time will be EST that I list.

Last week I noticed that I could see the Moon at 630PM no big deal I have seen this before the Moon while the Sun is still up, I never paid attention to the time before but it was 2 to 2 1/2 hrs till sunset.

Today I noticed that I could still see the Moon at 930 AM 3 hrs after sunrise?

Is it normal to see the Moon for a 15 hour time period?

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »
Is it normal to see the Moon for a 15 hour time period?

August 11~12, 2011 at Myrtle Beach, SC:  moon's altitude was positive from 17:50 to 04:20,  or 10 hours 30 minutes, then negative from 04:20 to 18:10, or 14 hours zero minutes,  according to http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/data-services/alt-az-us .  (Data is given at ten-minute intervals, so durations are +/- 10 minutes)

If the Moon can be "down" for 14 hours at some stage in it's cycle, then I suppose that it could also be "up" for 14 hours at other stages.  But it would be a good idea to check that site for the specific days and times in question.  Please post a message if your observations do not match the Navy's data.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 08:56:01 AM »
Just like old times. I looked at the moon in the wee hours of morning, last nite. It was mostly correct on parameters, except the small problem of being 20 to 25 degrees too high, in the night sky. This problem has been noted before.   ed

terrypat

• Prolific Member
  • My intention is to lead with the heart
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »
During our last full moon phase in mid July I noticed the moon tilted 90 degrees down to the left. To see the moons normal expression I had to cock my head sideways. Did anyone happen to notice this phenomenon ? I have not noticed this anomaly in the August cycle.
You have been telling people that this is the 11th hour.

Now you must go back & tell people  this  is  "The Hour" .

The Elders , Oraibi Arizona, Hopi Nation

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 10:24:02 AM »
It appeared that way to me.   ed

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 11:20:50 AM »
I also noticed that the moon's face is "looking in the wrong direction". Wonder if that is because of the earth's tilt....or if the moon has moved...or both? Also seems to be almost directly overhead, which doesn't seem right. However, this is just personal observation - I haven't measure anything and wouldn't know how.

Sunny
Never Give UP! EVER

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 11:50:58 AM »
That is what Terry is referring to.   ed

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »
Jim,

If I'm reading this chart correct the Moon should have set sometime between 9 and 910 today?

09:00        1.6       277.3       0.87
09:10       -0.8       278.7       0.87

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_altazw.pl

At 930 it still had not gone down behind the tree line here.

Bob

augonit

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »
I also noticed that the moon's face is "looking in the wrong direction". Wonder if that is because of the earth's tilt....or if the moon has moved...or both? Also seems to be almost directly overhead, which doesn't seem right. However, this is just personal observation - I haven't measure anything and wouldn't know how.

Sunny

Wouldn't it be cool if the moon may be turning so we can finally see what's on the other side?

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!