Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Overweight + Out of Shape = Dangerous 2012 Scenario  (Read 41169 times)

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
Overweight + Out of Shape = Dangerous 2012 Scenario
« on: October 20, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »
OK, So it's truth and confession time.  I'm dangerously overweight and dangerously out of shape.  I say dangerously, because one of my biggest fears as days go by here, is that when TSHTF, I'm not going to be able to haul my sorry ___ up and over a mountain if my life depended upon it.  And, gee, guess what?  My LIFE May Depend On It!!  So, That's IT.  I'm going to work on it like my life depends on it.  Maybe we can all post some ideas here of what has worked well for weight loss, and getting in shape and strengthening exercise type information.  Things that will actually help us get prepared physically for what is coming in the near future.  Unfortunately, for the past 22 years I sat behind a desk at my job, which certainly didn't help.  Just packed on the pounds.  I think for the most part I do eat pretty healthy, just have an overabundance of carbs and sugars in there (I'm really a chocoholic, but I guess I justified that when I gave up alcohol!)  So as of Today, No More Sugar and I'm going to cut back on the carbs.  But enough about me....Anybody have any good suggestions or things to list that have worked well for them???

terrypat

• Prolific Member
  • My intention is to lead with the heart
Re: Overweight + Out of Shape = Dangerous 2012 Scenario
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 07:05:57 PM »
We walk ourselves into the forest 1 day at a time. We walk ourselves out the same. Take the journey 1 small success each day. There is no destination here. Please review this website for a possible support group. www.whitebison.org  Another member posted it already somewhere but I am reposting. Your intention is powerful, please don't be afraid to use it.
You have been telling people that this is the 11th hour.

Now you must go back & tell people  this  is  "The Hour" .

The Elders , Oraibi Arizona, Hopi Nation

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:06:05 PM »
I couldn't agree with terrypat more.  It takes time to gain weight and it takes time to lose it.  The worst thing you could do right now is go out there and try to lose it all at once.  Then you risk injury and dehydration.  Start slowly and work into it while starting to eat healthy.  Losing weight is basically a mathmatical equation....  Burn more than you consume and only one thing can happen, right?  You lose weight.  I am not an expert on diet, but, I know if you start eating healthy, leave soft drinks and alcohol out, stay the hell away from fast food restaurants and start exercising an hour a day you will loose weight.  ...regardless of age  If you do that for a month, I promise you that you will run by a McDonalds and will want to throw up from the grease smell.
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 12:18:42 AM »
OK, So it's truth and confession time.  I'm dangerously overweight and dangerously out of shape.  I say dangerously, because one of my biggest fears as days go by here, is that when TSHTF, I'm not going to be able to haul my sorry ___ up and over a mountain if my life depended upon it.  And, gee, guess what?  My LIFE May Depend On It!!  So, That's IT.  I'm going to work on it like my life depends on it.  Maybe we can all post some ideas here of what has worked well for weight loss, and getting in shape and strengthening exercise type information.  Things that will actually help us get prepared physically for what is coming in the near future.  Unfortunately, for the past 22 years I sat behind a desk at my job, which certainly didn't help.  Just packed on the pounds.  I think for the most part I do eat pretty healthy, just have an overabundance of carbs and sugars in there (I'm really a chocoholic, but I guess I justified that when I gave up alcohol!)  So as of Today, No More Sugar and I'm going to cut back on the carbs.  But enough about me....Anybody have any good suggestions or things to list that have worked well for them???

Enlightenme I appreciate your post very much.
I feel this is a good concept for people to be thinking aobut.
Just wanted to say my normal body type is not "fat," but for various reasons have packed on the pounds.
I have found a lot of people who have gained weight have injuries. With me it was wrists and elbow then a few knees injuries. Were it not for the knee things I would be lightly jogging and etc.
People who have been inactive for a long time, whether it is a lifestyle thing, working a lot of hours at a desk, or whether it is partly due to injuries/not being able to walk, these people need to compensate in what they consume.
I am putting together a program for myself using some things I used to do that worked.
A few ideas to share. (I know most people know these things.0
1) Eating breakfast
2)  Fruit meal followed 20-30 minutes by regular food
3) if a heavy strenuous day and if cold, allow a hearty breakfast
4) I don't eat pork or much shellfish.
Nothing but a piece of fruit, after 8 PM.
Allow plenty of water ...
consume some superfoods - whatever the person prefers. I have used these things and benefited.
Chlorella, blue green algae, seaweeds, dulse fresh water weed, brewers yeast, wheat germ,
If no time for a gym or class, twelve minutes running in place revs up the metabolism to the point calories will burn faster.
Well these are some things I haven't done for awhile...
I know sugar subs aren't the best, but I have found if I allow sugar free fat free yogurts, puddings, etc I don;t continue to gain and it helps handle my food addiction. those plus sugar free popsicles and low carb ice cream.
Good Luck all,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 12:21:24 AM »
BTW even with bum knees it is often possible to lightly jog in place and/or walk.
Swimming a substitute and doesn't hurt the joints...

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 04:52:10 AM »
Excellent ideas and information going here already...great!  I had tried Weight Watchers in the past, and yes, that program does work.  The concepts are good...Healthy food habits are the focus and new eating habits for life.  Not like some of the "others" out there that want to sell you their prepackaged frozen foods for an exorbitant amount of money.  I think if I wouldn't have tried that at some point I might weigh 250 pounds or more by now at the rate I was going!  They definitely encourage exercise in addition to incorporating new lifestyle food choices starting on a very basic level and the weekly weigh-ins keep people motivated and encouraged. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 05:36:58 AM »
Excellent ideas and information going here already...great!  I had tried Weight Watchers in the past, and yes, that program does work.  The concepts are good...Healthy food habits are the focus and new eating habits for life.  Not like some of the "others" out there that want to sell you their prepackaged frozen foods for an exorbitant amount of money.  I think if I wouldn't have tried that at some point I might weigh 250 pounds or more by now at the rate I was going!  They definitely encourage exercise in addition to incorporating new lifestyle food choices starting on a very basic level and the weekly weigh-ins keep people motivated and encouraged.

That's good you managed to do that program and other things to hold the line...
I have also used online sites and prepackaged foods and it did start to work very well.
Well, more later on why I fell off the wagon on that... mainly it is lifestyle things or  extra things happening or a schedule change.

Lori

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 05:53:22 AM »
Being able to not afford to go out to dinner so much has help me and my husband quite a bit.  He's lost 20 lbs in a year and I've actually lost 10 in the past couple of months.  So home meals it is.  We'be been eating eggs because its cheap and the smaller meat portions.  Also been buying fresh ground sausage and making patties ourselves instead of buying the processed sausage that cause almost $5.00 just for 6 of them. 

terrypat

• Prolific Member
  • My intention is to lead with the heart
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 06:07:28 AM »
I listened to this physicians lecture last eve on you tube. It was on ExopoliticsTV's channel.

This man's practice is self helped based through inner strength.

http://www.aguidinglite.com/

Much success to all.  ;)
You have been telling people that this is the 11th hour.

Now you must go back & tell people  this  is  "The Hour" .

The Elders , Oraibi Arizona, Hopi Nation

errrv

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 06:34:56 AM »
Hey everybody. As y'all know, I'm 44. I left work at the Army's Ranger school in Ft Benning a year ago. While working there I worked with special operations teams like SEALs and Army Green Berets. It was difficult because I had to do everything they did. It was a challenge to get up & run sub 6 minute miles with those guys. They were in their 20s.

A couple of things that will help you get in shape:

1. Heart rate monitor. I bought one for $10 on eBay. It gets your heart in shape. Best workout tool I have ever used.

2. If you have the extra cash, myoplex meal replacement shakes. If you are over 35, sure keeps you from being too sore after exercise. Also has all your daily vitamins in there.

3. You need 20 minutes of cardio every day, 6 days a week. I suggest walking. If your goal is to be able to walk out of a dangerous area, you need to be walking. Try doing it with your bug out pack once a week. Wear good shoes when walking, ankle supportive boots when on rough terrain. Best boots for the money: Asolo www.sierratradingpost.com look for specials.

4. Like JKB said, stop sodas & sweets now. There won't be any in the after life anyways. Substitute honey for sugar. Eat organic cage free meat & dairy (I hunt my own food). You will be surprised at the flavor & consistency of wild meat.

The more you exercise, the more energy you'll have. The faster your metabolism, the faster you burn calories.  It's a repetitive cycle that puts your body, mind, & spirit into harmony.
Good luck
Erv

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 08:12:33 AM »
Good posts, everyone,  :D going to learn a lot here.
Barbara Lou Townsend
Topic Adminsitrator

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 08:25:11 AM »
Being able to not afford to go out to dinner so much has help me and my husband quite a bit.  He's lost 20 lbs in a year and I've actually lost 10 in the past couple of months.  So home meals it is.  We'be been eating eggs because its cheap and the smaller meat portions.  Also been buying fresh ground sausage and making patties ourselves instead of buying the processed sausage that cause almost $5.00 just for 6 of them.
Lori, oh so very true, the more we prepare our own simple meals, the better off we are.
The waistline appreciates good, lean home cookin'.
 :)
One thing I have been doing and need to do every night we are all home:
I got an inexpensive divided server. Like white plastic for a buck at a dollar store. Int eh center I put oil and lemon with seasonings dressing. Or I put tahini or flavored hummus or low fat ranch dip, etc. We get the bulk peeled baby carrots at COSTCO.
I put things like
                          baby carrots
                          tomatoes,
                          celery slices
                          fire roasted tomatoes
                          grated cheese

I put in everyone's bowl a little butter lettuce, washed, shredded and dried. Then they add their ingredients from the salad bar plate.
Lot of things could be put in there like
black bean corn mixture,
salsa,
sometimes tortilla chips
nopalitos (cactus) in a jar from the International foods section Mexican.

Different kind of combos but it's all good as long as it is raw washed well and people can grab what they want.

If we have either a raw salad or cooked veges it really helps.

Barb T.

Sunnybug

• Celeste of Phoenix
  • Members
  • Prolific Member
    • n/a
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 09:19:34 AM »
Great Idea's everyone! I started working on this seriously a couple of weeks ago after seeing what the doc's scale had to say  :o :o. Because of food allergies I have to eat fairly healthy...however, like some of you, I tend to eat rather too much of a good thing. So I started by cutting my meal size in half and filling in with fruit and fresh veggies, that has been good so far.
As for exercise that will be a challenge because of CF (Chronic Fatigue) however, if I go slowly - as Terry suggested wisely - it should be doable.
One thing I try to do in the morning while my cup of herbal tea is brewing is stretches, since that particular tea steeps for 5 Min's. it is not a bad way to start the day!
Also there are exercises that can be done even sitting at a desk (as I do)...if I just remember to do them that is  ::)
One of the reasons that Weight Watchers works is because it make you accountable...if we have the "group" here to account to, perhaps we will all be a bit more diligent. Plus the encouragement just can't be beat - Thanks everyone!  :D
Never Give UP! EVER

jrobert69

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 11:22:04 AM »
Its been on the mind. So much easier when you are in your in your twenties. I spent the last 3 months recuperating from a double cervical spinal fusion. Gained about 12 pounds, all gut. Im a little easier than most with foods, no meat chicken pork. Not macrobiotic I use to be, but as happy with a can of beans than any carnivore is with a steak You start to crave things as you get older. Once you get 40 something even if your avoiding the crap foods its still important to stay active. Needless to say I picked up a case of Ensure yesterday. Its bad for your body to starve yourself to loose weight. Messes with your sugars, head and overall well being. But little things you can do is replace bad items with good. A bag of carrot sticks will replace those twizzlers with a little bit of effort.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 01:44:06 PM »
Great Idea's everyone! I started working on this seriously a couple of weeks ago after seeing what the doc's scale had to say  :o :o. Because of food allergies I have to eat fairly healthy...however, like some of you, I tend to eat rather too much of a good thing. So I started by cutting my meal size in half and filling in with fruit and fresh veggies, that has been good so far.
As for exercise that will be a challenge because of CF (Chronic Fatigue) however, if I go slowly - as Terry suggested wisely - it should be doable.
One thing I try to do in the morning while my cup of herbal tea is brewing is stretches, since that particular tea steeps for 5 Min's. it is not a bad way to start the day!
Also there are exercises that can be done even sitting at a desk (as I do)...if I just remember to do them that is  ::)
One of the reasons that Weight Watchers works is because it make you accountable...if we have the "group" here to account to, perhaps we will all be a bit more diligent. Plus the encouragement just can't be beat - Thanks everyone!  :D
Sunnybug,  :) I'm not sure if I acknowledged this...good ideas,
Thanks for the reminder about stretching; haven't been doing that ...
Yowbarb

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!