Author Topic: Overweight + Out of Shape = Dangerous 2012 Scenario  (Read 38812 times)

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
Re: Overweight + Out of Shape = Dangerous 2012 Scenario
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 01:59:06 PM »
Great Idea's everyone! I started working on this seriously a couple of weeks ago after seeing what the doc's scale had to say  :o :o. Because of food allergies I have to eat fairly healthy...however, like some of you, I tend to eat rather too much of a good thing. So I started by cutting my meal size in half and filling in with fruit and fresh veggies, that has been good so far.
As for exercise that will be a challenge because of CF (Chronic Fatigue) however, if I go slowly - as Terry suggested wisely - it should be doable.
One thing I try to do in the morning while my cup of herbal tea is brewing is stretches, since that particular tea steeps for 5 Min's. it is not a bad way to start the day!
Also there are exercises that can be done even sitting at a desk (as I do)...if I just remember to do them that is  ::)
One of the reasons that Weight Watchers works is because it make you accountable...if we have the "group" here to account to, perhaps we will all be a bit more diligent. Plus the encouragement just can't be beat - Thanks everyone!  :D

I hear you Sunnybug and can really relate.  I have fibromyalgia and it also makes it difficult to exercise.  I'm thinking I might try to join the local Y for a swim program.  Swimming is one of the few forms of exercise I can do that doesn't hurt anything.  Walking is OK too, but I need to start out slow on that and go from there.  I used to love to go hiking, and I did manage to hike through a rain forest in Columbia a few years back, so I'm sure I can do it again.  It was several miles over pretty rocky terrain, so there must still be hope, right?

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 02:16:26 PM »
I ran (jogged really) 3 miles today.  Pathetic for USMC standards but there isn't much time for PT when you are on recruiting duty.  Fortunately I have almost 60 days of vacation (leave) to get back in shape before I check in to my new unit.  I guess we all have some work to do.  I have some words of encouragement from Arnold Schwartenegger's book "The Encyclopedia of Body Building,":

"Don't worry if you throw up, keep working out!!!!!"
You have to let it all go Neo.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief...  Free your mind.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 06:32:33 PM »
Good for you JKB!!  Wish I could say I could still do that!!  But, I did walk for about 20 minutes yesterday, and 25 minutes today.  I didn't measure how far I went.  I figured no matter what it was a good start.  I'm going to drive the car and measure a good circuit in the next few days though so I can keep track of my progress.  Late Last spring I had bought a good pair of sneakers, they're the new archrockers.  A lot of different companies are making them, the ones I got were on clearance (of course) and are made by Avia (Avi-motion).  They were a little hard to get used to at first, but they are the absolute best sneakers for walking I have ever owned.  Makes you feel like you're walking on air, and could just keep on going and going.  My daughter got a pair, made by a different company at Walmart, and she said she loves hers too.

terrypat

• Prolific Member
  • My intention is to lead with the heart
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 06:46:52 PM »
I have a walk for charity in the morning. I think it's 3 miles.
You have been telling people that this is the 11th hour.

Now you must go back & tell people  this  is  "The Hour" .

The Elders , Oraibi Arizona, Hopi Nation

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »
I listened to this physicians lecture last eve on you tube. It was on ExopoliticsTV's channel.

This man's practice is self helped based through inner strength.

http://www.aguidinglite.com/

Much success to all.  ;)

Thanks so much for sharing that info!!  Excellent....It's information like this that will help us all on our quest here!  Have fun with the charity walk, hope you have good weather for it!

terrypat

• Prolific Member
  • My intention is to lead with the heart
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
I listened to this physicians lecture last eve on you tube. It was on ExopoliticsTV's channel.

This man's practice is self helped based through inner strength.

http://www.aguidinglite.com/

Much success to all.  ;)

Thanks so much for sharing that info!!  Excellent....It's information like this that will help us all on our quest here!  Have fun with the charity walk, hope you have good weather for it!

Severe clear & in the 80's ...
You have been telling people that this is the 11th hour.

Now you must go back & tell people  this  is  "The Hour" .

The Elders , Oraibi Arizona, Hopi Nation

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »
Good for you JKB!!  Wish I could say I could still do that!!  But, I did walk for about 20 minutes yesterday, and 25 minutes today.  I didn't measure how far I went.  I figured no matter what it was a good start.  I'm going to drive the car and measure a good circuit in the next few days though so I can keep track of my progress.  Late Last spring I had bought a good pair of sneakers, they're the new archrockers.  A lot of different companies are making them, the ones I got were on clearance (of course) and are made by Avia (Avi-motion).  They were a little hard to get used to at first, but they are the absolute best sneakers for walking I have ever owned.  Makes you feel like you're walking on air, and could just keep on going and going.  My daughter got a pair, made by a different company at Walmart, and she said she loves hers too.

I think I will chill the rest of the weekend, but, come Monday morning...  it's on like Donkey Kong!!!  How 'bout it?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 11:36:13 AM »
Yep, Terry and Enlightenme...Intention is what Creator and the Spirits value most.   I am also needing to get into shape.   Perhaps, we could work together and support one another.   Perhaps we can start a new topic that allows us to post what we have done each day to improve our health and physical fitness.    Look for it, I'm going to start that topic just as soon as I post this response.   We can motivate eachother this way.    :-*

Chaunska  :) I agree with your intention for us all to help motivate one another. Even fior those not able to
post, or who don't have the time at any given moment, this Topic is for all of them, too.
This Topic and  these good intentions are for all of us.
Daughter and I have been discussing lifestyle changes again. There has to be an actual restart so this is it,
All The Best,
Barbara Lou Townsend
Topic Administrator

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 05:27:47 PM »

I think I will chill the rest of the weekend, but, come Monday morning...  it's on like Donkey Kong!!!  How 'bout it?

Yep, I'm gonna have to kick back the rest of the weekend, still recuperating!!  Monday it is, Full speed ahead!  And I'm really struggling with cravings for sweets...uurrgghh!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »
For dinner made the salad bar.
It was a success because we actually got a salad dressing my son liked so he
gobbled down his whole salad bowl. Big bulk cheap Garlic Caesar from COSTCO.
Butter lettuce tomatoes green olives and etc. low fat string cheese too.
Main dish:  Did an easy one because took so long to shop and chores...
Nuked some Lean Cuisine Thai Chicken Spring Rolls. 
Some of the ingredients: Red curry paste (chili lemongrass shallots etc.) ginger,
water chestnuts, carrots all chopped up fine... Super good. After it cools a bit you can just pick them up and eat them.
Later, had a small cup natural apple cider. All the complex carbs sorts got rid of my sugar cravings...
Well for me I feel half the battle is making that little salad bar...Found out the butter lettuce is so much easier to eat... Also some foods seem to combine well.
To reiterate successful actions: Making a little salad bar on a big divided plate.
                                                  A salad dressing people like,
                                                  Easy to fix easy to eat type of lettuce, butter lettuce
                                                  Lean Cuisine fairly high fiber and tasty meal such as
                                                  the Thai spring rolls.
                                                  Late night: Allowing fruit or natural juice (I had cider.)

- Yowbarb

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »
Excellent ideas for sure Barb...A meal that wouldn't even have felt like DIET FOOD, (I love spring rolls), and for sure the difference with salad, is the dressing.  I think if I choose The Raspberry Vinagerette one I like so much it would be really good, and I even have some Apple Cider in the frig, what a great way to satisfy the sweets craving!!  I love getting the fresh cider this time of year...

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »
All right then, it is on tomorrow.  Wesley Snipes (yes, I know he is in prison) used to say that he did at least one thing, everyday, to improve his physical conditioning.  No matter how small.  Let's all start doing something, everyday.  Even if it is just a set of push ups, sit ups, stretching, running, weights, whatever...  I'm in.  Going running tomorrow and maybe hit the weight room...

JKB

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • There is no spoon.
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 03:41:06 PM »

Yep, I'm gonna have to kick back the rest of the weekend, still recuperating!!  Monday it is, Full speed ahead!  And I'm really struggling with cravings for sweets...uurrgghh!

The cravings go away after a while...  Takes time.  Fruits will help satisfy your craving for sugar.  Have some watermelon or cantelope.  Think about it like this, once you get used to not eating a lot of sugar, you won't be able to even if you want to. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 06:31:56 PM »
Excellent ideas for sure Barb...A meal that wouldn't even have felt like DIET FOOD, (I love spring rolls), and for sure the difference with salad, is the dressing.  I think if I choose The Raspberry Vinagerette one I like so much it would be really good, and I even have some Apple Cider in the frig, what a great way to satisfy the sweets craving!!  I love getting the fresh cider this time of year...

It did work that particular night.  8)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 06:34:13 PM »

Yeah, spring rolls good!
Daughter made the salad and the dressing tonight... still having that... good.
What I used to do in skinny days was allow ample amounts of complex carbohydrates.