Author Topic: Helping women to give birth and breastfeed their newborn little ones  (Read 11946 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Update Note 26 September, 2012

This Topic was originally just about breastfeeding but now it is about helping women deliver their babies.
(Bear with me, This is a work in progress.)
Members post here your ideas, information and articles on childbirth. Also post what you know about helping new mothers nurse their babies, both now and in the near future.
-   Barb Townsend
    Topic Administrato
r
http://firstaid.about.com/od/childbirth/ht/deliverbaby.htm

http://www.wikihow.com/Deliver-a-Baby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_childbirth

http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-diet.aspx 

Lactogenic (milk -producing) foods and herbs.
http://www.methodsofhealing.com/healthy-diet-for-newborn-babies/  Healthy Diet for Newborn Babies  #1 choice
is breast milk!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:10:45 AM by Yowbarb »

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
Re: Helping women to give birth and breastfeed their newborn little ones
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »
Barb, thanks for starting this thread :)
A tidbit I learned is breast milk is good for producing baby's "brown fat".  Brown fat is stored in babies and hibernating animals since they cannot shiver to keep warm.
There was a young couple from my area who went on a trip to nevada in the winter with their 6-month old son. Their car broke down in the of nowhere, and they decided to set out on foot. They put the baby in a duffle bag and gently dragged it along the snow, as they had no other way of carrying him. All 3 found help after being stuck for a couple of days, the baby especially survived because he had a good supply of brown fat and mama continued breast feeding him.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »
BuddhaKitty what a wonderful story!
Breast milk brings up the survival potential of all babies, in so many ways.
 :)

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 07:13:25 PM »
Regarding the sling with the baby face up:  a few months ago, more or less, a baby died in that posture because his neck was bent so far forward that his trachea was closed.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »
Regarding the sling with the baby face up:  a few months ago, more or less, a baby died in that posture because his neck was bent so far forward that his trachea was closed.

Jim thanks for the input! Which image are you referring to? Spring summer fall or winter?

Spring

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »

Jim thanks for the input! Which image are you referring to? Spring summer fall or winter?

Spring

Thanks Jim. Going to delete that image.

- Barb T.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:41:06 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »
Jim so I did find an article about how slings are not always safe for the youngest babies.
http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/12/unsafe-baby-slings/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/12/baby-sling-deaths-chic-ba_n_496903.html
Here is a safer  baby carrier,
Barb T.

http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/2008/06/babycarriers.html

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 11:51:29 PM »
Actually I would not put a newborn in the previous carrier idea. I suppose I will keep looking for the ideal carrier. The idea was, during a cataclysm, or during The Aftertime the little ones could be kept safe as the mother quickly hiked, moved out along with a group or whatever the situation was. Keeping the baby close is a good idea. As Jim has posted, care must be taken.  The little ones need to have plenty of room to breathe and they have to be in the best angle to help them breathe as they are being carried. I feel that the closeness of a carrier keeps them safer, and this closeness is more condusive for the mothers to have milk for their babies.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:05:04 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 11:58:32 PM »
Human colostrum and human breast milk would be really good items to have in the survival supplies.
Breast pumps, nursing pads, nursing bras... these would really come in handy too.

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 07:21:03 AM »
Human colostrum and human breast milk would be really good items to have in the survival supplies.
Breast pumps, nursing pads, nursing bras... these would really come in handy too.

These are great things to keep on hand. Breast milk can be kept frozen in the snow and warmed by body heat (hopefully whoever needs it will have a good source of fire for heat as well.)
For hiking carriers may I recommend the Kelty internal frame child carrier? I just got one for my daughter. They hold children up to 30 pounds.  If I remember correctly they have neck support for newborns.  I can't post a link or photo from my phone though.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »

These are great things to keep on hand. Breast milk can be kept frozen in the snow and warmed by body heat (hopefully whoever needs it will have a good source of fire for heat as well.)
For hiking carriers may I recommend the Kelty internal frame child carrier? I just got one for my daughter. They hold children up to 30 pounds.  If I remember correctly they have neck support for newborns.  I can't post a link or photo from my phone though.

BuddhaKitty thanks very much for the idea on a good child carrier. Will find it and post.
All The Best,
Barb T.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 09:24:09 AM »
Again, Jim thank you for bringing this to our attention.
- Barb Townsend
  Topic Administrator

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 09:39:03 AM »
A person might wonder why do we need this Topic? Well I can say from experience there was a whole lot I did not know about this subject not until I was carrying my first baby..and I was already nearly 24 years old.

Then when she was born my mom transmitted knowledge to me, little things but it all added up to plenty of milk, and a healthy baby and I just might not have been able to do that without her help.

One tip is boiled water and put it in a jar (which has been thoroughly washed and rinsed with boiling water and the lid too.
Keep cotton balls in a jar. Just for that use.
These are used to wipe off the breast before each nursing when the baby is really young.

Just ideas like that.

Every survival group should have a supply of "nursing bras." An ample supply of nursing pads really help too.
Cleaning the breast off after nursing drying then putting on a clean nursing pad inside the bra - these actions keep a more hygienic situation. When the baby is a bit older it doesn't matter quite as much but it's a good idea to keep it up as much as possible.

Important to hold the baby upright over the shoulder and gently burp the baby. Change the diaper, wrap the baby up warm (unless it is too hot in the space) and hold the baby as much as possible.
If it's too hot have some battery operated fans available.

Gentle rocking motion in the first few months actually helps the baby's brain development after birth.

Not good to leave them in their cribs crying too much.

During times of cataclysm it would be good if people in general knew what to do and helped provide a safe quiet space for a new mother to nurse her baby. It may not always be so easy.
New mother's have the baby's "food supply on tap," as long as everything is OK and the mother is not too tense or some other problem. Best to avoid another pregnancy and let the baby have at least  six months of mother's milk and mother's full attention...

- Barb Townsend 

sineck

• Trusted Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 09:50:02 PM »
in my experience breast feeding is undoubtedly the best thing for a new born, however, there are times that there is just not enough to feed the little one, depending on their size, and their mother, not everyone has the same capacity. however just to share that the ancient romans used pearl barley mix with the breast milk, this enabled the child to grow strong even when the mother could not produce the needed amount, just a little info for you women, it may come in handy. also stress and things of the sort can also cause unexpected bodily changes,  ;D PEACE AND LOVE
Life is the element of disoriented illusions. A character of self- being with a mind of self awareness. Grievance combined with happiness in a fortitude of harmony and socio communicative disagreements of proffered existence. SINECK,

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 09:29:47 PM »
in my experience breast feeding is undoubtedly the best thing for a new born, however, there are times that there is just not enough to feed the little one, depending on their size, and their mother, not everyone has the same capacity. however just to share that the ancient romans used pearl barley mix with the breast milk, this enabled the child to grow strong even when the mother could not produce the needed amount, just a little info for you women, it may come in handy. also stress and things of the sort can also cause unexpected bodily changes,  ;D PEACE AND LOVE

Hi! I know about the barley milk... I used to help make big batches of it back in the 1970s. I agree it is a wonderful thing to know about. Wonderful for kids.
Thank You for the reminder,
PEACE,  ;)
Barb Townsend
Topic Adinistrator