Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Protecting animals now - doing what we can...petitions, etc.  (Read 29370 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Protecting animals now - doing what we can...petitions, etc.
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:24:41 AM »
There are a lot of petitions with action which will protect animals. I do not know what it would take to protect animals particularly sea animals, if the earth changes are cataclysmic, but anyway there are small things we can do now.
Here is a petition ...Change.org

http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-amazon-com-to-permanently-ban-the-sale-of-whale-dolphin-and-porpoise-meat?utm_medium=email&utm_source=action_alert

Dear Barbara Lou,
Last week, public outcry forced Amazon.com to pull over one hundred whale and dolphin meat products from its Japanese site. Consumers were outraged that the world's largest online retailer supported the killing of whales and dolphins -- and Amazon.com listened.
But now, Amazon.com is refusing to put a permanent ban in place to protect these animals in the future.
Melissa Sehgal, an Amazon.com customer, is in Taiji, Japan -- the site of an annual dolphin hunt that was exposed in the documentary The Cove. Every day she is witnessing how dolphins are captured and killed, and she wants Amazon.com to help stop it. That's why Melissa started a petition calling on Amazon to never again sell meat from dolphins and whales.
Click here to sign Melissa's petition asking Amazon.com to permanently ban whale, dolphin, and porpoise meat from its sites.
Tens of thousands of dolphins, whales and porpoises are captured and killed for their meat every year in Japan. The method by which they are killed is gruesome. "Rods are hammered into (dolphins) spinal cords to paralyze them," Melissa says. "And then they are dragged by their tails to the butcher house."
But Amazon.com has responded positively and quickly to consumer feedback before. Melissa also knows that further action from the online retailer could impact the trade in dolphin and whale meat since hunts are happening right now. Without an official policy, Amazon.com could start selling whale and dolphin meat again at any time.
Sign Melissa's petition to ask Amazon.com to put a permanent ban in place against selling dolphin, whale, and porpoise meat on its sites.
Thanks for being a change-maker,
- Pulin and the Change.org team
................................................................................................
Permanently Ban The Sale Of Whale and Dolphin Meat................................................................................................
Greetings,

I just signed the following petition addressed to: Amazon.com.

----------------
Permanently Ban The Sale Of Whale, Porpoise, and Dolphin Meat

Until recently, meat from dolphins, whales, and porpoises was being sold on Amazon.com's Japanese website. You quietly pulled those products from the site, but have refused to put a permanent ban on whale, dolphin, and porpoise meat in place.

Please put a permanent ban in place.

----------------

Sincerely,

[Your name]

another site which has a lot of these is Care2
- Yowbarb

http://www.care2.com/

Care2 - largest online community for healthy and green living ...

www.care2.com/

Largest online community empowering people to lead a healthy and green lifestyle while taking action on important causes such as human rights, animal ...

inselemel

Re: Protecting animals now - doing what we can...petitions, etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:39:21 PM »
Hi barb, thanks for starting this topic, it is very very close to my heart. I know a lot of the targets of these petitions do not listen but a lot do. I have participated in campaigns petitions and email sending which have been successful e.g. Through Shark Angels and Shark Alliance which has successfully got Shark Fin soup banned from numerous cities throughout the world including cities in the US & Canada. I also have seen successful campaigns mounted by different animal charities one of which was to get a lot of airlines to stop the transporting of live animals for animal experiments which if you see the pictures are totally horrific, barbaric and totally unnecessary. I believe part of being a Service to others person is caring for all the other species on Planet Earth, we are the guardians of Mother Earth and all her inhabitants and we have let her down extremely badly but i firmly believe that as the motto goes 'sharing is caring' and the destruction that only the Human species has caused  CAN be turned around, even if it is just sharing a photo or signing and sharing a petition (it only takes a couple of minutes) - Collective Consciousness does work. There are so many dark souled people on this Planet that think any other species than 'Man' are inferior, well i don't think so actually i know that they are wrong and it is arrogant to think otherwise.

And i look forward to the day when humans do not mistreat or look down on any animal. For example - Look how unconditional a dog's love is whether it has been badly treated or not - i think they have a lot to teach Man/Womankind.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:26:31 PM »
Hi barb, thanks for starting this topic, it is very very close to my heart. I know a lot of the targets of these petitions do not listen but a lot do. I have participated in campaigns petitions and email sending which have been successful e.g. Through Shark Angels and Shark Alliance which has successfully got Shark Fin soup banned from numerous cities throughout the world including cities in the US & Canada. I also have seen successful campaigns mounted by different animal charities one of which was to get a lot of airlines to stop the transporting of live animals for animal experiments which if you see the pictures are totally horrific, barbaric and totally unnecessary. I believe part of being a Service to others person is caring for all the other species on Planet Earth, we are the guardians of Mother Earth and all her inhabitants and we have let her down extremely badly but i firmly believe that as the motto goes 'sharing is caring' and the destruction that only the Human species has caused  CAN be turned around, even if it is just sharing a photo or signing and sharing a petition (it only takes a couple of minutes) - Collective Consciousness does work. There are so many dark souled people on this Planet that think any other species than 'Man' are inferior, well i don't think so actually i know that they are wrong and it is arrogant to think otherwise.

And i look forward to the day when humans do not mistreat or look down on any animal. For example - Look how unconditional a dog's love is whether it has been badly treated or not - i think they have a lot to teach Man/Womankind.

Inselemel thanks so much for all you have done and continue to do , to help animals.
I do know for a fact these petitions help...
Keep On Keepin on and share the various methods here and what is happening...I have some catching up to do,
Yowbarb

inselemel

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
Unfortunately, in this case the 'target' of MFA campaigning did not listen  and 'listened' to 'Big business or to be more precise Big Agricultural' but if the comments on FB are anything to go by it is just round 1.

"Despite the valiant efforts of MFA supporters nationwide, Iowa Governor Terry Branstad has bowed to pressure from "Big Ag" and failed Iowans, Iowa's farmed animals, and the American people, by signing into law a bill that makes criminals out of undercover investigators who expose cruelty to animals, corporate corruption, dangerous working conditions, environmental violations, or food safety concerns at factory farms."

http://www.mfablog.org/2012/03/shame-on-iowa-governor-signs-ag-gag-bill-to-protect-animal-abusers.html

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:57:15 PM by inselemel »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »
Unfortunately, in this case the 'target' of MFA campaigning did not listen  and 'listened' to 'Big business or to be more precise Big Agricultural' but if the comments on FB are anything to go by it is just round 1.

"Despite the valiant efforts of MFA supporters nationwide, Iowa Governor Terry Branstad has bowed to pressure from "Big Ag" and failed Iowans, Iowa's farmed animals, and the American people, by signing into law a bill that makes criminals out of undercover investigators who expose cruelty to animals, corporate corruption, dangerous working conditions, environmental violations, or food safety concerns at factory farms."

http://www.mfablog.org/2012/03/shame-on-iowa-governor-signs-ag-gag-bill-to-protect-animal-abusers.html

Mel, wow that is a situation to watch...
Thank You,
YB

inselemel

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »
Outrageous isn't it, Barb how they (tptb) get away with such things??

On another subject - my personal bug bear of China systematically killing and eating every animal that moves on this earth. I signed this brilliant petition. The letter is excellent in my opinion. They probably won't listen (it is going to chinese embassies all around the world) but it felt good to sign it. http://www.change.org/petitions/letter-to-china-dear-china#

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »
My cousins are Iowa farmers crops and pigs they have run their own elevator for many decades and feed their pigs that number in the thousands from their land. They never talk about it, but I bet Monsanto would shut them down if they went organic they farm about 9,000 acres they only own 2/3 of that it is my uncle his brother and kids they do most of it all by their selves. Only getting help during planting and harvest time their machines are huge.  They are not overly cruel but life for a pig is short and automated. the sow has the worst of it she is a breeding machine from life to death the boars have it best they are only called for studding I think they still do it the old fashioned way no pipettes. They are as easy on the animals as they can be for mass production. It is not a good life for the animals but to feed 300,000 million people the system has forced the small farmer (not big ag owned)  to comply or go broke sad as it may be, they have no bank loans so they could but I will not hold my breath. They would be crushed and they know it.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »
Outrageous isn't it, Barb how they (tptb) get away with such things??

On another subject - my personal bug bear of China systematically killing and eating every animal that moves on this earth. I signed this brilliant petition. The letter is excellent in my opinion. They probably won't listen (it is going to chinese embassies all around the world) but it felt good to sign it. http://www.change.org/petitions/letter-to-china-dear-china#

Thanks so much I will sign it...
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »
My cousins are Iowa farmers crops and pigs they have run their own elevator for many decades and feed their pigs that number in the thousands from their land. They never talk about it, but I bet Monsanto would shut them down if they went organic they farm about 9,000 acres they only own 2/3 of that it is my uncle his brother and kids they do most of it all by their selves. Only getting help during planting and harvest time their machines are huge.  They are not overly cruel but life for a pig is short and automated. the sow has the worst of it she is a breeding machine from life to death the boars have it best they are only called for studding I think they still do it the old fashioned way no pipettes. They are as easy on the animals as they can be for mass production. It is not a good life for the animals but to feed 300,000 million people the system has forced the small farmer (not big ag owned)  to comply or go broke sad as it may be, they have no bank loans so they could but I will not hold my breath. They would be crushed and they know it.

I know what you mean things are not likely to change anytime soon...especially with family owned farms...

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »
They will change if the SHTF if they can hold on to it. They are well known in the county a lot of friends maybe they can rebuild as a group share cropping style, so everyone can eat if they can get enough heritage seed. And let those poor pigs free range more.

inselemel

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 04:22:39 AM »
Hi i have just started a petition to stop the BBC antiques programmes buying, selling and evaluating ivory products like they were like any other product which they are not as Wonderful, Highly Intelligent and Highly caring animals have to die for this product and usually brutally and any calves are left to die. Please sign. http://www.change.org/petitions/danny-cohen-controller-bbc-1-stop-the-buying-selling-pricing-of-ivory-products-on-your-antiques-shows

I know most of you on the TH are in the good ol' US but i believe showing Ivory like any other product is quite disgusting and should not ne allowed to continue. Nellies are being brutally murdered daily and their calves left to die. 

Thankyou to all who sign.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 06:09:18 AM »
I signed it...
Thanks,
Yowbarb
http://www.change.org/petitions/danny-cohen-controller-bbc-1-stop-the-buying-selling-pricing-of-ivory-products-on-your-antiques-shows

melanie cameron (Petition Organizer)

4 days ago
Elephants are majestic sentient beings and to use their body parts as a commodity to be bought and sold like a piece of porcelain is absolutely hideous and irresponsible.

Recent Signatures

Barbara Townsend

You signed this petition on Mar 06, 2012

4 minutes ago
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:11:44 AM by Yowbarb »

inselemel

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »
Thanks Yowbarb, you should have seen the comment i got in response for posting it on one site that exalting one animal above another is the 1st step towards racism - i mean really and she defies anyone to explain why the plight of the rhino has any impact on her life - omg i haven't bothered to reply as these trolls and i believe that is the correct word just want a fight and i am not going to rise to the bait. I didn't say elephants were better than any other animal i just said they were magnificent, highly intelligent and highly caring animals. Oy vey!!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 06:28:54 AM »
Well  this is some sort of progress. McDonalds will hopefully soon no longer use those horribly inhumane gestation cages. Unbelievable that it could even happen in the first place... I suppose it goes on in all phases of domestic meat milk and egg production...
and has been the norm for decades. Wow that's some sort of kharma some people are creating for themselves...IMHO.
On the positive side: I feel the animal activism is finally having some effect.
Thanks to everyone who is making a difference. If readers see any petition on this sort of thing please sign them and post them here in this Topic,
Yowbarb
http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/02/15/mcdonalds-to-phase-out-gestation-crates/
February 15th, 2012 03:45 PM ET

McDonald's to phase out gestation crates

McDonald's said it will get its pork suppliers to phase out the use of immobilizing cages for pregnant pigs, a move that was applauded by the Humane Society of the United States, but not the pork industry.

"McDonald's believes gestation stalls are not a sustainable production system for the future," said the fast food chain in a press release. "There are alternatives that we think are better for the welfare of sows."

Animal activists oppose the use of gestation stalls, which are cages that keep individual sows in close confines while they're pregnant.

"Confining pigs in gestation crates is arguably the cruelest practice in factory farming," said Josh Balk, spokesman for the Humane Society of the U.S. "These are iron maidens that are barely larger than the pigs' own bodies."

Read - McDonald's phasing out tiny cages for pigs

Image (I titled it) CNN Photo

suffering sow used in gestation cages common practice in US
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:17:53 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 06:36:05 AM »
(Referring to previous post, gestation cages) What's particularly horrible about treating pigs this way - they are the most intelliigent land mammal on the planet.
Not okay to treat any breeding animal today that includes chickens...
It would be far more humane to find other uses for pigs... the little ones can be pets. With the right conditions some cold be an outdoor sort of pet.
Maybe they could generate enough manure to make fuel from...in the future without even being killed for meat.
I looked it up and sure enough you can generate fuel from the pigs...
YB

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/06/better-fuel-thr/

Better Fuel Through Pig Manure

By Brandon Keim Email Author June 12, 2008 |  2:41 pm |  Categories: Animals, Energy, Environment
Gasoline made from pig manure might not smell nice, but sometimes you’ve just got to pinch your nose and bear it.

In a study published today in the journal Fuel, researchers from the National Institute of Standards and Technology provided the most detailed analysis yet of pig manure-based biofuel. It’s not quite ready for the road, they found, but researchers now know what to fix.

Even more importantly, said NIST fuel expert and study co-author Tom Bruno, the methods used in the study could transform fuel analysis.

"The real significance of what we have done is not so much contributing to the development of this particular fuel source, but rather the development of a measurement technique that can be applied to all manner of fuels, including those derived from bio or renewable feed stocks," Bruno said.

Bruno’s samples came from an experimental pig manure processing plant designed two years ago by Yuanhui Zhang and Les Christianson at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. By heating and pressurizing manure, they turned it into crude oil.

Boasting a manure-to-fuel efficiency of 70 percent, the researchers predicted that a single pig’s production-cycle excretions could yield 21 gallons of crude oil and a neat per-pig profit of $10.

Multiply that by the 100 million pigs slaughtered each year in the
U.S., and it’s a billion-dollar industry. And while the amount of oil produced would be relatively small in comparison to total U.S. fuel consumption, every drop counts — and it could help rehabilitate the
110 million tons of waste produced each year on U.S. hog farms. Much of that waste ends up in rivers, and has fed the expansion of a New
Jersey-sized dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico.

That, however, remains hypothetical. The NIST analysis showed that so-called pig manure crude is still quite crude. It’s about 15% water by volume, reducing its energy efficiency, and suffused with sulfur, heavy metals and nutritional supplements — all of which could end up back in the air.

Pig crude, said Bruno, is at present "less ‘clean’ than petroleum-derived fuel. Of course that will change if the process is tweaked."

Such tweaks require further fine-grained analysis of the fuel — and though NIST isn’t actually involved in its production, other researchers could use their methodology, which improved upon the so-called distillation curve traditionally used to measure fuel composition and performance.

As with regular distillation curves, Bruno’s team observed the fuel’s change during heating. But they did so by heating the sample in precise gradations, broke down the energy and pollutant content of fuel burned at each stage of heating, and bombarded leftover char with neurons to detect the heavy metals inside.

That process gives an unusually clear picture of the fuel, and can be used to analyze other biofuels.

"Could that have a carbon emission impact, either in revising current estimates or improving fuel use?" I asked.

"You betcha," he said.

Advanced distillation curve measurement: Application to a bio-derived crude oil prepared from swine manure [Fuel]

http://www.journals.elsevier.com/fuel/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:47:24 AM by Yowbarb »

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!