Author Topic: Healing plants, herbs and foods  (Read 45777 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Healing plants, herbs and foods
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 01:19:51 AM »
Noproblemo, and Ed,
awesome! Will check out those sources.
Ed I was just noticing the dried fruit at COSTCO recently - what great stuff for people to add to the survival supplies.
BTW, my daughter made a great batch of ripe pineapple juice with pulp in the vitamix today for brunch. Funny it seemed to konk me out but then I had then more energy than usual....
For a time, bone and joint pain was gone... time for more!
Yowbarb

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 10:32:44 AM »
Think about it. How many sick Hawaiians do we know?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 11:53:33 AM »
Hi All,    RE Cardiovascular benefits of high cacao chocolate in small amountsI didn't know about the cardiovascular benefits of high cacao chocolate until my elderly mother passed away and I was reading some of her health mailings. She made it to ninety without a nursing home, and she used to tell me, "women need chocolate," with a smile. 
After she had passed suddenly peacefully and after the Memorial, was in her room. I saw a lot of nutritional materials which was not surprising.  I opened up a news letter from Dr. Weil naturopath in Arizona.

Weil's nutritional letter said that the 70 percent or more high cacao chocolate a small piece, is good for the heart. Article said if you take more than the little smidgin, it is no longer a medicine. Taken in small amounts it is a powerful medicine.

True story: One of my daughters in her mid thirties, measured her bp in a grocery store. It was getting high (for first time we knew of) she didn't want to get on drugs so I made her try something. For five days I gave her ONE piece of 75% cacao chocolate. I think it was a special Dove kind. I didn't let her have any more than that. After the five days was up her bp had dropped back down to the safe range. She looked and felt better, too.

So here is an article in Science Daily about the benefits, with the caution that if too much is taken the health benefits are lost, also that Swedish chocolate is way better. Even so, the new American brands marked 70% or higher are probably very good.
Enjoy, a smidgin.
Yowbarb

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100817161110.htm

Science News
Moderate Chocolate Consumption Linked to Lower Risks of Heart Failure, Study Finds
ScienceDaily (Aug. 17, 2010) — Middle-aged and elderly Swedish women who regularly ate a small amount of chocolate had lower risks of heart failure risks, in a study reported in Circulation: Heart Failure, a journal of the American Heart Association.
    Cocoa
    Polyphenol antioxidant
The nine-year study, conducted among 31,823 middle-aged and elderly Swedish women, looked at the relationship of the amount of high-quality chocolate the women ate, compared to their risk for heart failure. The quality of chocolate consumed by the women had a higher density cocoa content somewhat like dark chocolate by American standards. In this study, researchers found:
    Women who ate an average of one to two servings of the high-quality chocolate per week had a 32 percent lower risk of developing heart failure.
    Those who had one to three servings per month had a 26 percent lower risk.
    Those who consumed at least one serving daily or more didn't appear to benefit from a protective effect against heart failure.
The lack of a protective effect among women eating chocolate every day is probably due to the additional calories gained from eating chocolate instead of more nutritious foods, said Murrray Mittleman, M.D., Dr.P.H., lead researcher of the study.
"You can't ignore that chocolate is a relatively calorie-dense food and large amounts of habitual consumption is going to raise your risks for weight gain," said Mittleman, director of the Cardiovascular Epidemiology Research Unit at Harvard Medical School's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. "But if you're going to have a treat, dark chocolate is probably a good choice, as long as it's in moderation."
High concentration of compounds called "flavonoids" in chocolate may lower blood pressure, among other benefits, according to mostly short-term studies. However, this is the first study to show long-term outcomes related specifically to heart failure, which can result from ongoing untreated high blood pressure.
In the observational study, researchers analyzed self-reported food-frequency questionnaire responses from participants 48-to-83-years-old in the Swedish Mammography Cohort. Combining the results with data from national Swedish hospitalization and death registries between 1998 through 2006, the researchers used multiple forms of statistical modeling to reach their conclusions on heart failure and chocolate consumption.

Mittleman said differences in chocolate quality affect the study's implications for Americans. Higher cocoa content is associated with greater heart benefits. In Sweden, even milk chocolate has a higher cocoa concentration than dark chocolate sold in the United States.
Although 90 percent of all chocolate eaten across Sweden during the study period was milk chocolate, it contained about 30 percent cocoa solids. U.S. standards only require 15 percent cocoa solids to qualify as dark chocolate. So, by comparison, American chocolate may have fewer heart benefits and more calories and fat per equivalent amounts of cocoa content compared to the chocolate eaten by the Swedish women in the study.
Also, the average serving size for Swedish women in the study ranged from 19 grams among those 62 and older, to 30 grams among those 61 and younger. In contrast, the standard American portion size is 20 grams.
"Those tempted to use these data as their rationale for eating large amounts of chocolate or engaging in more frequent chocolate consumption are not interpreting this study appropriately," said Linda Van Horn, Ph.D., R.D., immediate past chair of the American Heart Association Nutrition Committee and professor in the Department of Preventive Medicine at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago. "This is not an 'eat all you want' take-home message, rather it's that eating a little dark chocolate can be healthful, as long as other adverse behaviors do not occur, such as weight gain or excessive intake of non-nutrient dense 'empty' calories."
Heart failure occurs among about 1 percent of Americans over age 65. A condition in which the heart can't pump enough blood to the rest of the body, heart failure rates are increasing as our aging population grows.
"Anything that helps to decrease heart failure is an important issue worth examining," Mittleman said.

Co-authors are Elizabeth Mostofsky, M.P.H.; Emily Levitan, Sc.D.; and Alicja Wolk, Dr.Med.Sci. Author disclosures and funding support are on the manuscript.

……………………………………………………………………

noproblemo2

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 01:23:14 PM »
Now this is one I have NO problems in trying, the only problem I see is eting more than I should...  ;D

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »
Now this is one I have NO problems in trying, the only problem I see is eting more than I should...  ;D

Hehe that is the tricky part!

Alfred Williams

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 04:50:43 PM »
No one is a bigger chocoholic as me. So I need a more pure chocolate. Very worth a search Mmmm{{:>)
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!

noproblemo2

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »
No one is a bigger chocoholic as me. So I need a more pure chocolate. Very worth a search Mmmm{{:>)
Be sure and post your results, I'll buy it !!!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 03:02:57 PM »

Definitely a good idea to find a good source. "The good stuff," heh heh.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »
The problem is Ed, I don't know any :P LOL  But it could also be the coconut they eat as well as the pineapple. Coconut has many redeeming qualities one of which is the lauric acid which is anti viral.

Benefits of coconut oil

The health benefits of coconut oil  include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. These benefits of coconut oil  can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, soothing, etc.

How is Lauric Acid Used by our body?
The human body converts lauric acid into monolaurin which is claimed to help in dealing with viruses and bacteria causing diseases such as herpes, influenza, cytomegalovirus, and even HIV. It helps in fighting harmful bacteria such as listeria monocytogenes and heliobacter pylori, and harmful protozoa such as giardia lamblia. As a result of these various health benefits of coconut oil, though its exact mechanism of action was unknown, it has been extensively used in Ayurveda, the traditional Indian medicinal system.

And the best part, is the stuff never goes rancid, so a great thing for long term storage.

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

noproblemo2

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 04:34:18 PM »
So one can store coconuts indefinetly? If so then would be a source of liquid.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »
So one can store coconuts indefinetly? If so then would be a source of liquid.

Coconut oil can be stored indefinitely don't know how long you can store a coconut. :)

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 07:14:09 PM »
Hi Linda,
You said "don't know how long you can store a coconut'.
my wife, who is from Fiji, says about one month.

noproblemo2

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 07:43:14 PM »
Thanks, will x that off my list...........

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 10:17:50 AM »
http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/diffu.asp  ESSENTIAL OIL DIFFUSION, methods

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methicillin-resistant_Staphylococcus_aureus MRSA infection

very hard to treat there are some standard hygiene and medical methods listed on page.
On the page also a holistic solution:
Essential oil diffusion
An in vitro study on the inhibition of MRSA by essential oil diffusion found that 72 of 91 investigated essential oils exhibited zones of inhibition in soy agar plates streaked with MRSA (strain ATCC 700699). The most effective being lemongrass oil (Cymbopogon flexuosus), lemon myrtle oil (Backhousia citriodora), mountain savory oil (Satureja montana), cinnamon oil (Cinnamomum verum), and melissa oil (Melissa officinalis) essential oils. Of these, lemongrass essential oil was the most effective, completely inhibiting all MRSA colony growth.[36]
Tea tree oil also kills all MRSA strains that have been tested.[
 ………………………………………..

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 11:08:32 AM »
"Thieves Blend" is another general-purpose antibiotic.

During the black plague in Europe, a team of scavengers raided houses where everyone had died, taking jewels, gold from mouths, etc.; but they never got sick.  They went to England to carry on their "trade", and their presence came to the attention of the king.  He had them brought in, and he "convinced" them to reveal the secret of their immunity.  Well, they were from a family of apothecaries,  and they doused themselves with a particular blend of essential oils before getting to work.  That blend became known as Thieves Blend.  The story and the recipe still exists in the records of the royal family in England.  A few Internet sites sell it, but I don't have a link at the moment.