Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Ghee, Coconut Butter, Bulletproof Coffee, Good Oils  (Read 9425 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Ghee, Coconut Butter, Bulletproof Coffee, Good Oils
« on: September 26, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »
Ghee is good for liver health.
- Yowbarb
http://www.lightofayurveda.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=77

Ghee - The Golden Cooking Oil of Ayurveda 

Ghee is highly clarified butter, with the impurities (saturated fat, milk solids) removed, and it is recognized as the best of all oily foodstuffs. Ayurveda regards Ghee as a vital food for healthy skin, good digestion, mental clarity - promote memory and intelligence, quantity and quality of semen, and is a food for balancing all body types.
•Ghee is a great digestive. It can be used in place of butter and is an ideal cooking oil. It helps to improve absorption and assimilation. Ghee increases Life force energy. It is good for improving memory, strenghtens the brain, nervous and immune system. Ghee lubricates joints and connective tissue and makes the body flexibile.
•It is made by cooking butter to remove all the milk-solids and water, so that what's left is a pure golden oil with a royal flavor and aroma.
•Unlike butter, ghee helps to stimulate the healthy flow of fluids throughout the body. Butter can congest, ghee removes blockages. No other substance stimulates the flow of bodily fluids as ghee does. Cold pressed olive oil is specific for stimulating the flow of bile from the liver and gall bladder, and thereby relieving congestion there. But ghee does this throughout the body. It carries the properties of the herbs and spices that are cooked with it deep into the tissues of the body. Ghee has been a staple in Indian cooking for centuries.
•Many people are concerned that the use of ghee will increase their cholesterol or add unnecessary amounts of fat to their diet. Used in the contex of a healthy lifestyle, this is quite unlikely to occur. Adding a little ghee to our rice, steamed vegetables, or hot organic milk is likely to help us. Two to three teaspoons taken during a 24 hour period works well to harmonize all the body's systems.
•Ghee can be kept on the kitchen shelf, covered. It does not need refrigeration. The medicinal properties are said to improve with age. Don't ladle out the ghee with a wet spoon or allow any water or contaminants to get into the container, as this will create conditions for bacteria to grow and spoil the ghee. When finished, ghee will not burn when exposed to high heat, making it perfect fat for all cooking including frying.
•Once you have cooked with ghee, you'll never go back to using oil or butter again! Ghee can be used for sautéing, stir-frying, deep-frying, baking, for popcorn, or as a spread. It's so flavorful that you'll need much less ghee than butter or other kinds of oil.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: Ghee, Coconut Butter, Bulletproof Coffee, Good Oils
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »
"Bulletproof coffee"; anyone experience with this?
Sounds interesting.

Benefits of coffee[/i]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:00:06 PM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:59:27 AM »
"Bulletproof coffee"; anyone experience with this?
Sounds interesting.

Socrates, what a great idea! I've not tried it. Thanks for posting! Tea made of Yak fat is a staple up in the high elevations...Mongolia, Tibet? Oh, I see that is in the article too. :)

This is an excerpt from what  Socrates posted

"What Is Bulletproof Coffee?
I start every day with a cup of Bulletproof Coffee made with Certified Clean coffee beans blended with grass-fed unsalted butter or Grass-fed Ghee and Brain Octane Oil (see recipe below...)"

"Bulletproof coffee"

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 05:19:55 AM »
I definitely do better health-wise if I have ghee and coconut oil in my diet...

Socrates, again, thanks for those posts and the good idea, bulletproof coffee.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »
for those not in the know...

Ghee is made by boiling butter which separates the proteins in the butter from the fats.
You scrape off the proteins and that makes that the fats keep much longer [for it is the proteins that tend to turn rancid].
Ergo, ghee is much more interesting for prepping, i.e. for stocking up fats, especially than butter is [which requires low temperatures to keep well for any amount of time].

I have made ghee; it is easy. In India, where it is hot..., they have little use for butter as it turns bad too quickly. Hence, they discovered ghee.
To us 'preppers' that discovery is a godsend.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
Ghee making in India...
posted this somewhere in the Town Hall, awhile ago...
I have made ghee.
Gotta get it back into my life, going to go get some.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 04:44:37 PM »
Note: Recipe, farther below.
He does put hot water into the blender to heat it up before blending the brewed coffee and ghee and brain octane oil.
This is the video on exactly how he makes his Bulletproof coffee:  1 yr ago

How To Make The Real Bulletproof® Coffee  0:41    121,918 views

video link:  https://youtu.be/GdzarSP8FOI

>> Download the Bulletproof Coffee recipe card here.<<

http://blog.bulletproof.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/recipe2014.pdf

Bulletproof Coffee Recipe

Brew 1 cup (8-12 oz.) of coffee using filtered water, just off the boil, with 2 1/2 heaping tablespoons freshly ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans. (French Press is easiest.)
Add in 1-2 tablespoons of Brain Octane™ to the hot coffee (It’s STRONG – start with 1 tsp. and work up over several days).
Add 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed, unsalted butter or grass-fed ghee
Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it is frothy like a foamy latte
It’s really fast and easy to prepare.

More of Dave Asprey's notes, my next post.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 10:48:46 PM »
Followed the links, more research, and this is what i'm gonna do...

First of all, screw the 'MCT oil' manufacturers. If someone not selling it can tell me it works much better than coconut oil, i might go there, but it has all the signs of a hype to me. I think a good quality coconut oil should do the trick and it makes getting into 'bulletproof' a hell of a lot easier.

Second, good quality coffee nowadays isn't all that difficult to come by anymore. There's a place that sells daily fresh roasted coffee beans in town [i.e. for me, here in The Hague] and i'm pretty sure they care about the quality of beans they use.

I think the Bulletproof sources would do well to stress the importance of staying low-to-no carb when doing the bulletproof coffee thing, for i'm pretty sure there's no point to drinking bulletproof coffee if you're gonna be doing carbs as well. The whole point of the exercise is to extend the body's natural state of having gone into ketosis a bit while fasting through the night (i.e. while you were sleeping).

Ideally, one would have something like nuts or seeds and then do your coffee [this goes for all kinds of coffee], since i've heard it's bad for the skin to drink coffee if there are no proteins in the stomach.
I will be adding my raw cocoa and maple syrup to make a 'bulletproof cobalamin tonic'... [that supplies B12].

Can't wait to try it.
survival database

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 01:17:26 AM »
Followed the links, more research, and this is what i'm gonna do...

First of all, screw the 'MCT oil' manufacturers. If someone not selling it can tell me it works much better than coconut oil, i might go there, but it has all the signs of a hype to me. I think a good quality coconut oil should do the trick and it makes getting into 'bulletproof' a hell of a lot easier.

Second, good quality coffee nowadays isn't all that difficult to come by anymore. There's a place that sells daily fresh roasted coffee beans in town [i.e. for me, here in The Hague] and i'm pretty sure they care about the quality of beans they use.

I think the Bulletproof sources would do well to stress the importance of staying low-to-no carb when doing the bulletproof coffee thing, for i'm pretty sure there's no point to drinking bulletproof coffee if you're gonna be doing carbs as well. The whole point of the exercise is to extend the body's natural state of having gone into ketosis a bit while fasting through the night (i.e. while you were sleeping).

Ideally, one would have something like nuts or seeds and then do your coffee [this goes for all kinds of coffee], since i've heard it's bad for the skin to drink coffee if there are no proteins in the stomach.
I will be adding my raw cocoa and maple syrup to make a 'bulletproof cobalamin tonic'... [that supplies B12].

Can't wait to try it.
I am not an expert on this but what I intend to do is first prepare the coffee with ghee and coconut oil blended in. Call it a poor gal's version. :)
I do fully intend (budget permitting) to try the Bulletproof products including the Brain Octane.
Right now, a good place to start is go get coconut oil and ghee at the health food store and do that basic method.
Socrates, I do appreciate your posting the bulletproof links in the first place. I had wandered away from the ghee and coconut oil and that was a good reminder. Had not considered putting them in coffee. Also been craving fats and likely need good fats. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:32:33 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 01:37:01 AM »
PS Easier to get good clean coffee in Europe!! That is a fact.
Did some research on my own.
For now I am well stocked up on dark rich beans, seems fairly good quality. Those will have to do for now.
If I can afford it and/or find a good source, I will be buying a stash of higher quality coffee beans.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 03:33:56 AM »
Okay; i just had my first cup of bulletproof coffee.
It was good.

Got myself some Guatemalan seasonal coffee grinds,
some seasonal grassfed butter,
already had a good quality coconut oil.
I still have to figure out how to get the end product hot, but this was one good cup of coffee. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:49:58 PM by Socrates »
survival database

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »
It was good.

I still have to figure out how to get the end product hot, but this was one good cup of coffee. Just sayin'.
Socrates, sounds like U did it totally right! That's great!

I have been doing the quickie, "what-I-had-on-hand version," for weeks, ever since u posted it -
 but even so - it has been helping me.
Soon I will go get the better beans and the ghee. I know that will be better. I DO have organic, good coconut oil, been using that all along in the bulletproof. (Used butter too.)
Even with regular coffee (mine is fairly good) and butter I do feel that boost, that ketosis. I avoid eating for awhile after the bulletproof, allowing my body to get some benefit of ketosis. Avoiding carbs for quite awhile after the coffee..
Feeling the good fats giving my brain a boost. I know that is a very subjective assessment, but I do feel it.
Thank you for letting us know about the bulletproof.
 8)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:50:22 PM by Socrates »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 03:53:55 PM »
Eventually I will get the Brain Octane too...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »
It was good.

Socrates, sounds like U did it totally right! That's great!
 I DO have organic, good coconut oil, been using that all along in the bulletproof. (Used butter too.)
Even with regular coffee (mine is fairly good) and butter I do feel that boost, that ketosis. I avoid eating for awhile after the bulletproof, allowing my body to get some benefit of ketosis. Avoiding carbs for quite awhile after the coffee..
Feeling the good fats giving my brain a boost. I know that is a very subjective assessment, but I do feel it.

8)
Just an interesting tidbit.  I kept noticing everytime I'd try to eat coconut oil, I'd later feel mentally sluggish.  This kept happening over and over, and a friend swore how wonderful coconut oil is, so I would continue to try.

Then one day I tried some RAW organic coconut oil, and it worked.  No mental sluggishness.  There is so much to look for on the label of organic coconut oil, like  virgin, unrefined, organic, etc., etc.  Now I buy raw coconut oil for foods and meds, and then for soapmaking, the oil does not need to be raw.

It's something to try.  And BTW, does anyone have a favorite organic brand for coconut oil?  I've used Nutiva as well as Tropical Traditions/Healthy Traditions and tend to lean toward Nutiva.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!