Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Baking Soda - Medicinal Uses  (Read 3101 times)

Ruth

• Global Moderator
  • Trusted Member
Baking Soda - Medicinal Uses
« on: June 10, 2015, 08:11:31 PM »
2015 Baking Soda – Cheap Blessing

Baking soda is a marvel of nature that keeps on blessing those wise enough to learn how to use it, and treasure it. Put small boxes of it, in zip lock bags, and stash them in bug out bags for everyone.

Storage – keep it dry
Before going out and buying a lot of it consider how it will be stored. I’ve tried using recycled plastic gallon jugs, canning jars and zip lock bags when I got it in bulk. It was a hassle and at times I got it mixed up with citric acid and salt. My favorite way to store is buying it in the 4lb orange “Arm & Hammer” box. Yes, I use it a lot so a 4lb box doesn’t sit around long. The 4lb box looks very similar to the 4lb box of washing soda, so keep the well marked. I store both, the washing soda for laundry and cleaning.

For long term storage I put the individual boxes in recycled plastic bags and secure them, in case my storage area floods. If I had more 5gal buckets I’d put several boxes inside one of them and tape it shut.  Baking soda will go stale and get lumpy, but I’ve never noticed any decrease in its quality, even the box I keep in the fridge to control odors – still works for other uses when I change it out, though I don’t use it for cooking. 

What is Baking Soda? From Wikipedia

Sodium bicarbonate[note 1] (IUPAC name: sodium hydrogen carbonate) is a chemical compound with the formula NaHCO3. Sodium bicarbonate is a white solid that is crystalline but often appears as a fine powder. It has a slightly salty, alkaline taste resembling that of washing soda (sodium carbonate). The natural mineral form is nahcolite. It is a component of the mineral natron and is found dissolved in many mineral springs. It is among the food additives encoded by European Union, identified by the initials E 500. Since it has long been known and is widely used, the salt has many related names such as baking soda, bread soda, cooking soda, and bicarbonate of soda.[note 2] The word saleratus, from Latin sal æratus meaning aerated salt, was widely used in the 19th century for both sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate. The term has now fallen out of common usage.

Ancient Usage of Sodium Bicarbonate

Historical and archeological evidence shows the natural source, natron occurs in many places worldwide making it accessible for use. But the refining of natron produces baking soda and washing soda, or sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate. Washing soda is also called caustic soda. As natron is found with salt and mineral inclusions it is often confused with salt in ancient records. As natron however it was used for mummification as it dried out the corpse.

Medicinal Uses of Baking Soda

Heartburn.  A half teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in 8 oz of water, sip slowly or drink all at once, eases heartburn and indigestion for many people. It is much faster acting than over the counter medicines for acid indigestion. If use of this remedy starts to become daily then see a health professional as something serious may be going on, and baking soda might not be enough for relief.

Kidney Disease. A small dose of baking soda could stop the progression of chronic kidney disease, according to a study published in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. Researchers divided 134 patients with kidney disease into two groups. One group received a 600 mg tablet of baking soda each day in addition to their regular care. After one year, only 9 percent of the baking soda group showed that their disease had progressed significantly, compared with 45 percent of those in the control group. British scientists say baking soda is so effective that it could stop patients from having to undergo dialysis. (Would like to see this translated into the drink. In a survival situation, still good to know.)

Cancer. Animal models of human breast cancer cells show that baking soda can increase the alkalinity of tumors and inhibit their metastasis, while not harming healthy tissues. Some doctors are so impressed that they are using baking soda as a part of their overall treatment for cancer patients. Dr. Julian Whitaker, founder and director of the Whitaker Wellness Institute, advises his cancer patients to sip drinks made with two teaspoons of baking soda mixed in two cups of water three times a day.

The following information on athletic performance may be very helpful in a survival wellness situation when on the move, or engaged in heavy or prolonged physical movement.
Athletic performance.
Runners often take baking soda capsules before they race, a practice called "soda doping." A study conducted by the American College of Sports Medicine found that runners who took baking soda improved their performances.

Tests have also shown that baking soda improves the speed of swimmers. A study at Loughborough University found that eight of nine swimmers who took baking soda before a race improved their times. "Essentially, sodium bicarbonate is an alkali substance that increases the pH of the blood," researcher Jonathan Folland told the Daily Mail. "This seems to reduce and offset the acidity produced in the muscles during intense, anaerobic exercise that produces lactic acid most quickly, such as fast running or swimming." The bottom line is that baking soda appears to reduce acids in the muscles and cause the body to tire more slowly. (1 teaspoon of baking soda in 8oz pure water, several times a day.)

Insect bites. A strong alkaline paste of baking soda and warm water eases the intense itching of mosquito and chigger bites. Dab a bit of cider vinegar on the spot or witch hazel extract to kill bacteria. Then apply the paste. Make the paste by adding just enough water to a teaspoon of baking soda so that it makes a thick paste. This will dry out however and flake off. So if it needs to stay in place, smear the paste onto a gauze pad and tape in place. Remove in a few hours and replace if needed.

If there is a concern about infection apply 1 drop of antibacterial essential oil to the paste. Use any one of these: oregano, tea tree, peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus, niaouli, raventsara, basil, thyme, pine, fir balsam, sandalwood, frankincense.

Tooth and gum paste. One review of data from five controlled clinical studies found that toothpaste containing baking soda "enhanced plaque removal effectiveness of tooth brushing to a significantly greater extent" than brushing with a non-baking soda toothpaste.

Baking soda also has antibacterial activity and has been found to kill Streptococcus mutans bacteria – a significant contributor to tooth decay.

Many believe baking soda can be too abrasive on tooth enamel, and Dr. Curatola (Rejuvenation Dentistry) believes that killing the oral microbiome may be highly counterproductive. Perhaps reserving it for use in situations of tooth decay or pain, may be the better idea use.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Baking Soda - Medicinal Uses
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 11:14:30 AM »
The baking soda to treat cancer thing is a myth.  I looked into it when my Mom had cancer and it's not true.  It's a popular urban legend, but it doesn't work.  I hope someday people won't associate baking soda with treating cancer.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »
The baking soda to treat cancer thing is a myth.  I looked into it when my Mom had cancer and it's not true.  It's a popular urban legend, but it doesn't work.  I hope someday people won't associate baking soda with treating cancer.
My understanding of the role of baking soda in cancer treatment is that it helps alkalinize the blood and tissues of the body which is important.  I was not aware of baking soda being use as the sole form of cancer treatment, but is part of a "package" of agents used by the practitioner.

From what I read, cancer cells "do well and prosper" in an acid blood and body environment, i.e., below pH 7.0, and cannot function well in an alkaline state where pH is greater than 7.0.

I'm truly sorry that it did not help your mother, especially as it was probably used as a last resort.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 09:46:40 PM »
My understanding of the role of baking soda in cancer treatment is that it helps alkalinize the blood and tissues of the body which is important.  I was not aware of baking soda being use as the sole form of cancer treatment, but is part of a "package" of agents used by the practitioner.

From what I read, cancer cells "do well and prosper" in an acid blood and body environment, i.e., below pH 7.0, and cannot function well in an alkaline state where pH is greater than 7.0.

I'm truly sorry that it did not help your mother, especially as it was probably used as a last resort.

But would not the acid in the stomach neutralize the baking soda before it gets into the blood?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 07:27:09 AM »

But would not the acid in the stomach neutralize the baking soda before it gets into the blood?
It seems it should and there is definitely an interaction.  I always learned in basic chemistry courses that baking soda behaves as a buffer, keeping things from getting too acid, or too alkaline.

Also recall learning in a physiology course one time that the only reason stomach acid does not digest the stomach cells is because of the mucous-producing cells in the stomach.  So there is much more going on than just acid and base mixing in this roundish organ.

Here's my take on baking soda in the stomach.  If your diet is totally junk, processed foods, soda, etc., ingesting a bit of baking soda will not help much or maybe not at all.  But if your diet is intentionally full of high-quality foods, then the addition of baking soda would/could help maintain the alkaline or nearly alkaline pH needed to combat cancer.

Some time ago I received one of the regular updates from Dr. Marcus Sircus on medical/health issues, and he went into great detail about the acid/base balance and how beneficial baking soda is, and thought I saved that one, but apparently didn't.

And I thought I read that some practitioners inject baking soda as part of their cancer treatment protocol, just as some other practitioners inject hydrogen peroxide, H2O2.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 07:21:59 AM »
Excerpt from Dr. Sircus, regarding the connection between kidneys, pancreas, acid-base balance and things related.  Educational!

http://drsircus.com/medicine/sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/healing-the-kidneys-with-sodium-bicarbonate#utm_source=Dr+Sircus+Newsletter&utm_campaign=4fe6a6008a-Article_298_6_17_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ea98c09673-4fe6a6008a-10706037

Healing the Kidneys with Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda)

Posted by Dr Sircus on November 11, 2009 | Filed under Medicine, Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda)

Sodium bicarbonate is not only an excellent agent for natural chemotherapy, bringing as it does higher O2 levels through increased alkalinity to the cells, it is also one of the most basic medicines we have for kidney disease. New research by British scientists at the Royal London Hospital shows that sodium bicarbonate can dramatically slow the progress of chronic kidney disease.[1] We don’t need a thousand years of tests to understand something as simple as water and it is quite the same with bicarbonate, which is always present in the best drinking waters.
Bicarbonate acts to stimulate the ATPase by acting directly on it.[2]
The simple household product used for baking, cleaning, bee stings, treating asthma, cancer and acid indigestion is so effective in treating kidney disease that it prevents patients from having to be put on kidney machines. The findings have been published in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. Bicarbonate is a truly strong universal concentrated nutritional medicine that works effectively in many clinical situations that we would not normally think of. It is a prime emergency room and intensive care medicine that can save a person’s life in a heartbeat and it is also a supermarket item that you can take right off the shelf and use for more things than one can imagine – including diaper rash.
Dr. SK Hariachar, a nephrologist who oversees the Renal Hypertension Unit in Tampa Florida stated, upon seeing the research on bicarbonate and kidney disease, “I am glad to see confirmation of what we have known for so long.  I have been treating my patients with bicarbonate for many years in attempts to delay the need for dialysis, and now we finally have a legitimate study to back us up. Not only that, we have the added information that some people already on dialysis can reverse their condition with the use of sodium bicarbonate”.
John, a dialysis technician at the same center as Dr. Hariachar, who used to be on dialysis himself for 2 years as a result of kidney failure, had his kidneys miraculously start functioning to the point where dialysis was no longer needed. He states that he was prescribed oral doses of sodium bicarbonate throughout his treatment, and still takes it daily to prevent recurrences of kidney failure. Dr. Hariachar maintains though, that not everyone will be helped by taking bicarbonate. He says that those patients who have difficulty excreting acids, even with dialysis using a bicarbonate dialysate bath, that, “oral bicarbonate makes all the difference.”
Kidneys Produce Bicarbonate
The exocrine section of the pancreas has been greatly ignored in the treatment of diabetes even though its impairment is a well documented condition. The pancreas is primarily responsible for the production of enzymes and bicarbonate necessary for normal digestion of food. Bicarbonate is so important for protecting the kidneys that even the kidneys get into the act of producing bicarbonate and now we know the common denominator between diabetes and kidney disease. When the body is hit with reductions in bicarbonate output by these two organs,’ acid conditions build and then entire body physiology begins to go south. Likewise when acid buildup outstrips these organs normal bicarbonate capacity cellular deterioration begins.
The kidneys alone produce about two hundred and fifty grams (about half a pound) of bicarbonate per day in an attempt to neutralize acid in the body.
The kidneys monitor and control the acidity or “acid-base” (pH) balance of the blood. If the blood is too acidic, the kidney makes bicarbonate to restore the bloods pH balance. If the blood is too alkaline, then the kidney excretes bicarbonate into the urine to restore the balance. Acid-base balance is the net result of two processes, first, the removal of bicarbonate subsequent to hydrogen ion production from the metabolism of dietary constituents; second, the synthesis of “new” bicarbonate by the kidney.[3]
It is considered that normal adults eating ordinary Western diets have chronic, low-grade acidosis which increases with age. This excess acid, or acidosis, is considered to contribute to many diseases and to contribute to the aging process. Acidosis occurs often when the body cannot produce enough bicarbonate ions (or other alkaline compounds) to neutralize the acids in the body formed from metabolism and drinking highly acid drinks like Coke, Pepsi and we are even seeing reports on bottled mineral water being way too acidic.

Ruth

• Global Moderator
  • Trusted Member
Re: Baking Soda - Medicinal Uses - Healthy Drink
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 02:41:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for this discussion. I've been researching cancer cures myself for the past year as I was diagnosed in April of 2014 with stage IV Neuroendcrine cancer, with metastasis to several areas. Surgery could not remove it all. In this journey I was extremely fortunate to meet an alternative medicine doctor who is first of all a conventional doctor, was an ER physician at a major Wisconsin hospital and still has privileges. He went on to become accredited in longevity and nutrition. (Dr. John Whitcomb, Brookfield Longevity - near Milwaukee WI).

We explored a number of options and the one I feel most at peace with is the ketogenic diet. It seems the most holistic and logical and has good research behind it. Here is a link that I like to share with people. www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEE-oU8_NSU Thomas Seyfried: Cancer: A Metabolic Disease ... - YouTube

"The genomic instability observed in tumor cells and all other recognized hallmarks of cancer are considered downstream epiphenomena of the initial disturbance of cellular energy metabolism. The disturbances in tumor cell energy metabolism can be linked to abnormalities in the structure and function of the mitochondria. Cancer growth and progression can be managed following a whole-body transition from fermentable metabolites, primarily glucose and glutamine, to respiratory metabolites, primarily ketone bodies. This transition will reduce tumor vascularity and inflammation while enhancing tumor cell death."

Basically it's eliminating all sugar from the diet and focusing on low carbs - even from healthy foods like fresh organic fruit, consuming moderate amounts of protein and good fat like organic glyphosate (Monsanto's RoundUp) free coconut oil. NET cancer is an endocrine cancer and especially triggered by pesticides. The food is weighed on a special scale which reads out grams of carbs, protein, fat, calories and a few more things. The goal for me, is to stay under 22g of Carb and 75 protein. Metformin (a common diabetes drug) is the only drug used as it helps the kidneys keep up. The research into this field was done by a number of people but Dr. Seyfried (PhD) is the most well known. Dr. Mercola has an interview with him as well. A popular form of this diet is the New Atkins. But stay away from their processed snacks, bars and candies. They are addictive, and use natural non sugar sweeteners which however are laxative in nature.

Cancer is so widespread today that I believe the last stats I heard is 1 in 3 people will be touched by it somehow. There is no magic bullet. Cure of any kind is a total body/mind/spirit return to the blueprint of our healthy self. If we can provide the body with what it needs in all 3 dimensions, we may get a cure. With our toxic world it is hard to be sure even our organic food is safe to eat.

It makes no sense to me to work toward surviving earth changes if I'm chained to a drug every month. So that's my motivation to change what I can. BUT, I happen to love baking soda for many reasons, including drinking it. That was one of the recommendations of Dr. Whitcomb as well, to keep the alkaline balance. I like to use ice cold water and stir it in. I have a lot of baking soda in storage and also use it in mineral salt foot soaks. So while it's not a cure for cancer by and in itself, it is part of the healthy lifestyle everyone can have, whether fighting a disease or not.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 04:05:00 AM »

The whole acid/alkaline thing is correct about cancer.  But per the American Cancer Society, baking soda does nothing to prevent, treat, or cure cancer.  We never used baking soda for Mom, so it wasn't a last resort, or even part of her treatment. 

If you look into treatments and cures for cancer you will find lots of things online and in bookstores and it will give you hope.  But 99% of everything you read about it are lies.  I figured this out when I did my own research for cancer treatments for my Mom.  When I found something I thought was going to work, I'd check with people like the American Cancer Society to see what they thought.  So before jumping onto the "quick, easy cure" bandwagon, get a more professional opinion.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 08:42:36 AM »
When I found something I thought was going to work, I'd check with people like the American Cancer Society to see what they thought.

Hmmm.  Any of their staff who expressed opinions different from that of the AMA and Big Pharma would have been murdered.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »
When I found something I thought was going to work, I'd check with people like the American Cancer Society to see what they thought.

Hmmm.  Any of their staff who expressed opinions different from that of the AMA and Big Pharma would have been murdered.
Steedy, I agree with Jim in not trusting the American Cancer Society.  Many alternative, investigative journalists have written about them and their ties to the very industries that are GIVING us cancer.  I wouldn't trust them any farther than I can throw them.

After I learned of their ties to industry, I did start to notice that they never like to talk about all the known carcinogens.  Notice they always talk about a cure, but never talk about prevention.  In all the decades I've followed discussions of the ACS, I have never seen them talk about how we need to be preventing cancer.  You know, "Race For The Cure".

I might add I was an American Cancer Society volunteer for my county some years ago for about a year.  What a joke they are.  They should be ashamed.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 09:49:06 PM »
I felt this article should be here too.  ;D ilinda is the one who posted this.
so, it can also be found in the newly merged and newly named Topic, 
FUKUSHIMA, other LEAKS of NUCLEAR WASTE! Merging Topics
posted by: linda:

(Note: this article arrived in email form, but without the link to Dr. Sircus' website, which I'll find and append. For now, though, it seemed important enough to post this asap.)

Dr Sircus - IMVA
Sítio Santuário S/N
Alto Paraíso de Goiás, Goiás
73770-000 · Brazil
Uranium Contaminates Drinking Water – Sodium Bicarbonate Clears the Kidneys and Soil of Uranium
December 14, 2015 under Medicine, Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda

In the western United States notices are springing up, Uranium, the notices warn, tests at levels considered unsafe by federal and state standards.  The notices say you can drink the water — but if you drink the water over a period of time, you can get cancer. USGS researchers recently sampled 170 domestic water wells in the San Joaquin Valley, and found 20 to 25 percent bore uranium at levels that broke federal and state limits.

Uranium, the stuff of nuclear fuel for power plants and atom bombs, increasingly is showing in drinking water systems in major farming regions of the U.S. West. Naturally, authorities are doing little to inform the public at large of the growing risk.

Government authorities say long-term exposure to uranium can damage kidneys and raise cancer risks as well as provoke other health problems. Once the uranium is solubilized in the blood, the kidney will excrete some of it in urine. Uranium not excreted distributes to bone and soft tissue, including the kidney, liver, lung, fat, muscle, and then, to some extent, to all other organs. Though the main reservoir is the skeleton, the target organ is the kidney, where functional changes are observed. Research teams at Tufts and the University of New Mexico also link long-term exposure to signs of reproductive and genetic damage.
In one swath of farmland in California, roughly 250 miles long and encompassing major cities, up to one in 10 public water systems have raw drinking water with uranium levels that exceed federal and state safety standards, the U.S. Geological Survey has found. It is interesting to note that at Livermore Labs they have license to explode a certain amount of depleted uranium above ground each year.

Nearly 2 million people in California's Central Valley and in the U.S. Midwest live within a half-mile of groundwater containing uranium over the safety standards, University of Nebraska researchers said in a study published in September. Moreover, guess what? Livermore Nuclear Weapons Lab detonates about 200 radioactive “dirty bombs” a year, creating deadly and radioactive uranium gas in the heavily populated San Francisco Bay and Monterey Bay Areas of California. About 10 million people live and work within the large metropolitan areas.

The Los Angeles Times reported, “The Energy Department is spending $328 million to clean up two separate areas of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Livermore is one of two U.S. labs that designed nuclear weapons. It continues to conduct research into plutonium behavior, high-powered lasers, computer-simulated nuclear reactions and other areas. Under the cloak of secrecy, the lab conducted experiments with plutonium and uranium, and fabricated prototype weapons parts. At its large test range near Tracy, in Northern California, it blew up atomic triggers that used depleted uranium. In the process, Livermore released uranium, tritium, solvents and high explosive residues into the ground and groundwater, said Judy Steenhoven, deputy chief of environmental restoration at the lab.”

Though people think mainly about uranium's radioactivity, the danger in water mainly comes from the toxic chemical effects of the metal. “Uranium is highly toxic to humans, both chemically as a heavy metal and radiological as an alpha particle emitter, is very dangerous when taken internally”,writes Dr. Rosalie Bertell, Canadian Epidemiologist. A study, conducted by biochemist Dr. Diane Stearns at Northern Arizona University confirms that, separate from any radiation risks, cells exposed to uranium will bond with the metal chemically.

Sodium Bicarbonate Provides Uranium Detox
Learning about sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is becoming more important than ever before. Between its uses treating antibiotic resistant infections and uranium toxicity, it is being thrust into the mainstream that has done its best to ignore it. Parents especially should pay special attention to bicarbonate because all research leads to the most tragic conclusion that the unborn fetus is hundreds or thousands of times more sensitive to radiation than anyone had ever suspected.
Military manuals suggest doses or infusions of sodium bicarbonate to help alkalinize theurine if uranium contaminates the kidneys. This makes the uranyl ion less kidney-toxicand promotes excretion of the nontoxic uranium-carbonate complex. The oral administration of sodium bicarbonate diminishes theseverity of the changes produced by uranium in the kidneys.[1]

Substituting a sodium bicarbonate solution for saline infusion prior to administration of radiocontrast material seems toreduce the incidence of nephropathy,” writesDr. Thomas P. Kennedy for the American Medical Association.

Sodium bicarbonate is effective in treating poisonings or overdoses from many chemicals and pharmaceutical drugs by negating their cardiotoxic and neurotoxic effects. It is the main reason it is used by orthodox oncology – to mitigate the highly toxic effects of chemotherapy.

Sodium bicarbonate possesses the property of absorbing heavy metals, dioxins and furans. Comparison of cancer tissue with healthy tissue from the same person shows that the cancer tissue has a much higher concentration of toxic chemicals, pesticides, etc.

At Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, researcher Don York has used baking soda to clean soil contaminated with uranium.Sodium bicarbonate binds with uranium, separating it from the dirt; so far, York has removed as much as 92 percent of the uranium from contaminated soil samples

[1] A study of the acidosis, blood urea, and plasma chlorides in uranium nephritis in the dog,and the protective action of sodium bicarbonate. The Journal of Experimental Medicine, Vol 25, 693-719, Copyright, 1917, by The Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research New Yorkwww.jem.org/cgi/content/abstract/25/5/693
-------------------

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!