Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: A Simple Way to Get You Ham Radio License  (Read 961 times)

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
A Simple Way to Get You Ham Radio License
« on: March 18, 2016, 05:13:54 PM »
Getting you Ham Radio License used to be a somewhat “daunting” task when you had to learn Morse code as well as passing a detailed technical exam. Back in the 1990’s the rules were changed so that it greatly simplified getting ones License and “getting on the air”.

The other thing that makes it quite easy is that ALL the questions that are asked in the exam are in the public domain. All that is required is to go through the questions several times. Make sure that you are familiar with the answers in the exam pool and then scheduling a test with your local Ham radio club in your community and paying a nominal fee of about $15.00.

Some clubs (our local club included) gives free (no cost ) exams on a monthly basis so there is really no excuse for getting started in this rewarding hobby and “getting prepared” to communicate in the challenging events to come.

One very good resource that I used is the QRZ web site:

http://www.qrz.com/hamtest

It is the one that I used to prepare when taking/upgrading my Ham radio license several years ago. The “Technician” class license is the easiest one to get (and the smallest pool of questions to go over).

I would encourage everyone to get started and get their Technician class license and then begin to assemble a station to get “on the air” and become familiar with how we are going to have to communicate  when the “grid goes down”..

Any questions about this please feel free to post them in this thread, I will answer as best I can..

Max.
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: A Simple Way to Get You Ham Radio License
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 03:36:57 PM »
There are even iPhone/Android “Apps” to help you get you HAM license:

Ham Test Prep

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iversoft.ham.test.prep&hl=en

Get your Ham Radio License! Prepare for the FCC Amateur Radio Service licensing exams.
Run sample tests from the latest Technician, General and Extra question pools.
Keeps track of the questions you have mastered with a passing of 74% or better.
Study question elements that need work.
Free and not Ad supported. All questions are provided for free.
Practice exams comply with the rules for generating an actual exam.

Includes The most recent Question Pools
Element 2, Technician Class. Effective July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2018.
Element 3, General Class. Effective July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2019. General Class
Element 4, Extra Class. Effective July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2016.

Ham Radio Exam - Tech
By Roy Watson
View More by This Developer

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ham-radio-exam-tech/id601991935?mt=8

Description
"Ham Radio Exam - Tech" will help the user pass his/her examination for a Technician Class FCC Amateur Radio License. Newly updated to include the question pool for exams administered after 01 July 2014. See "What's new in this version" for installation instructions if you are already using this app prior to upgrading.

No reason not to start studying right now!

Max.
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
Re: A Simple Way to Get You Ham Radio License
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
Good stuff.  Going to get on it today.  I've procrastinated long enough.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!