Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: TEOTWAWKI / Apocalypse Movies  (Read 6082 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
TEOTWAWKI / Apocalypse Movies
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:47:15 AM »
I feel that some movies that cover apocalyps scenarios can be helpful, giving us ideas and illustrations of the kind of things we may one day have to deal with. After all, they're often years in the making and a lot of time goes into a lot of details; you might learn a thing or two...
There are some that came and went, without really ever becoming popular or mainstream. Here are just some titles you might wanna try out. Also, they can help get one in the mood of getting (more) serious, so here it goes; please add any good ones you feel belong on such a list.

- It's a Disaster
- After the Dark
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:42:08 PM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: TEOTWAWKI / Apocalypse Movies
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 01:31:31 PM »
Here is a couple good ones to add to the list:

The Road - full movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpFIEHNwjAU

Jericho - TV Show scene of the Nuclear blast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ni2I1JN8QM

Max.

"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 08:23:33 AM »
Just rewatched After The Dark...
Synopsis: 21 people have 10 places for surviving an apocalypse [thought experiment]; 3 scenarios:
- first they all die
- then 10 live but end up dying anyway
- then they all survive but 11 die in the end anyway...

Again, it's all about humans interacting with each other. As i've commented on before, your greatest threat is posed by other humans, not necessarily by circumstances; and the worst threat is composed of humans you trust, for they can turn out to be back-stabbers, i.e. a threat more sinister and dangerous than any enemy at the gate.

Which is why i love this movie; it's about how human beings [ignorant, privileged, ill-conditioned] might deal with such scenarios. In other words: there are other issues at stake than mere survival...
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 11:51:20 AM »
Is this the same movie, offered free on Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvLZV3LhUAo

(Ignore the $12.99 price tag, it's actually free on-line as of this posting)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:37:17 PM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 02:16:14 PM »
Just rewatched After The Dark...
Synopsis: 21 people have 10 places for surviving an apocalypse [thought experiment]; 3 scenarios:
- first they all die
- then 10 live but end up dying anyway
- then they all survive but 11 die in the end anyway...

Again, it's all about humans interacting with each other. As i've commented on before, your greatest threat is posed by other humans, not necessarily by circumstances; and the worst threat is composed of humans you trust, for they can turn out to be back-stabbers, i.e. a threat more sinister and dangerous than any enemy at the gate.

Which is why i love this movie; it's about how human beings [ignorant, privileged, ill-conditioned] might deal with such scenarios. In other words: there are other issues at stake than mere survival...
Absolutely correct that human interactions will rule, regardless of the circumstances.  I've pondered this for some time--is there some sort of subtle "test" an aware person could "administer" to colleagues, friends, relatives, etc., in order to better understand their level of integrity in dire situations, and whether they might consider you a useless cockroach.  I haven't devised such a "test" but ponder this a lot.  I ALWAYS go back to Stanley Milgrim's research, and that of others as well, which demonstrates the capacity of our species to orchestrate terror and horror on fellow beings.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »

OMG, I watched the first 10 min. and can't wait to get back to it.  Thanks for the link, as I'm so far out of the loop, being mired in garden, goats, etc., I hardly ever surface....

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 05:55:30 PM »

OMG, I watched the first 10 min. and can't wait to get back to it.  Thanks for the link, as I'm so far out of the loop, being mired in garden, goats, etc., I hardly ever surface....
Finished watching--full of surprises!

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 11:28:14 PM »
I ALWAYS go back to Stanley Milgrim's research, and that of others as well, which demonstrates the capacity of our species to orchestrate terror and horror on fellow beings.
I, too, often refer to The Milgram Experiment, but the popular conclusion that it shows how HUMANS are 'evil' or given to inhumane choices under certain conditions, does not make sense, for then how does one explain that 25% (on average) absolutely REFUSE to continue with the experiment? Are they not human...?

I believe [as i've stated repeatedly] that Alice Miller's decades of research explains the 75% who are willing and able to become monsters if so triggered. The rest, though, never choose to do so. These are obviously the kind of people one should surround oneself with...

People belonging to the 75% [i wish i had the time to write a book with that title] can be recognized by signs like:
- worship of power-based authorities [police, politicians and all other figures supported by power-based authority]
- in general they look to PEOPLE rather than to principle, logic, data or common sense
- there are givers and takers; the 75% are takers
- they're moralistic, rigid and focus on things like protocols (rather than to 'human' considerations)
- they are slow to smile or laugh, and when they do, they tend to laugh at the expense of others
- they tend to obsess over superficial aspects like cleanliness [hygiene's appropriate, but obsession is the sign]
Ultimately, according to Alice Miller's research and from my own experience and understanding, these people show their true colors when they believe they are alone with vulnerable targets [especially animals and babies]. That's hard to test, for how do you know what someone does when they're 'alone'? After all, if they are allergic to scrutiny, then how can one ever actually see what they're about?
Ya have to read between the lines.

In the end every single one of us has lived our lives surrounded by 2 kinds of people, so we've all experience enough with this matter; isn't it always the same people who make trouble or drama, and isn't it always the same people who are consistently friendly and who are peace makers?
Isn't it so that some people just never learn and others don't need to be explained what's appropriate?

When the chips are down, the 75% are NOT the kind of people you want surrounding you. In fact, even ONE SINGLE such individual can disrupt a community and lead to mass disruption, suffering and even destruction. These people have no natural survival instinct because their natural psyche was crippled when they were infants; they look to immediate power-based relationships above all else.
The 25%, however, tend to look kindly on the shortcomings of takers, causing a roundabout self-destruction, but self-destruction nonetheless...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:43:39 PM by Socrates »
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 07:26:22 AM »
Socrates,

Your whole post resonated with me, so I couldn't just highlight one quote.

My family had spent the past decade helping to facilitate local non-denominational community hymn sings in this area (absolutely non-proselytizing), which began as friendly down-home interfaith gatherings with pot-luck picnic socials, well-populated with the Plain Folk.  The generic gatherings were a pleasant company of Christians, Jews, Sufi Muslims and others who enjoyed harmonizing together.  Recently, an actress from Hollywood, nearly three thousand miles away from here, arrived on the scene and immediately placed a father and young adult son in one singing family in a triangle with her, causing the boy (a friend of our sons) to drink himself to death.  This young woman, who has only been in PA a short time and resides two counties away from here, now exerts authoritarian control over the entire network of community singings in several counties, via open sexual liaisons.  We have had to get our family away from that scene out of concern for the well-being of our boys, though we still sponsor a scholarship and a website to benefit the singing community, and continue to lend them our dining equipment. 

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 08:29:27 AM »
If you are a giver you're vulnerable...
Genetically speaking, giving is the greatest strength there is, but...
short-term there are those that seek to parasite off of your strength (for short-term advance / convenience).
Yin and Yang...

Yes, religion is a big deal, but...
no, religion-based-on-ignorance makes little of the biggest deals...

Religion should be about transcending our human weaknesses;
popular religion, on the other hand, takes advantage of human weaknesses...
Every day i'm writing now [preparing for an end] and i call it:
The (secular) Logle [= "Bible" + "logos" + "Google"]; maybe we can pass on to the next generation what went wrong in our day...

'The bad' have been living off of 'the good' since time immemorial. But what is "bad"?
I'll tell you what it is: it is that which undermines life, i.e. our incarnation as human beings.
Who told you it is 'good' or 'okay' to die or 'fade away'?
Is that what you tell yourself when you see your children burn...?
A human person screams: Hell, no!, the traumatized masses say: Okay...

'Prepping' is a state of mind, not some 'hobby' or 'obsession'. And largely, it is about 'good vs evil'...
[Your story, R.R.BOOK, is simply illustrative of what happens when one means well but through ignorance does [attributes to] 'evil'. Good 'n bad isn't about 'singing hymns' or 'professing the gospel', it is about defying that which is inhuman and self-destructive. But what is "human"? What does it mean to be 'a human being'? If you can't answer that question, then what is it that you actually know...?]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:49:26 AM by Socrates »
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 04:23:24 PM »
Some good points Socrates.  I would say that community hymn singings, though, are not really about good and bad, they're more about fun and moving out of our comfort zone to experience communion with people whom TPTB would prefer to see us divided from.  We are supposed to live in fear of those who are different from us, but one of the great pleasures of life, to me, has been to defy that notion and break bread with "the other." 

And yes, the above incident did wake us up to the lateness of the hour with regard to Px. :)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 05:48:56 PM »
I ALWAYS go back to Stanley Milgrim's research, and that of others as well, which demonstrates the capacity of our species to orchestrate terror and horror on fellow beings.
I, too, often refer to The Milgram Experiment, but the popular conclusion that it shows how HUMANS are 'evil' or given to inhumane choices under certain conditions, does not make sense, for then how does one explain that 25% (on average) absolutely REFUSE to continue with the experiment? Are they not human...?

- there are givers and takers; the 75% are takers
;
When the chips are down, the 75% are NOT the kind of people you want surrounding you. In fact, even ONE SINGLE such individual can disrupt a community and lead to mass disruption, suffering and even destruction.
For some time now I do feel there is a genetic component in Milgrim's work--remember when he saw the results, which surprised his colleagues as well, he decided to repeat the experiment, and the second time he took it off-campus to a part of town that could be considered almost seedy.  None of the workers wore lab coats and it had a completely different "feel".  Still, the same percentage (I thought 66-67%) performed the same way--willing to electrocute someone for no good reason.

Further, a later researcher whose last name begins with "Z" (Zaboda?) was the one who orchestrated his similar-themed research, and the violence and abuse in Mr. Z's research was so horrendous, that he was forced to stop the experiment within a week or less, and one of the volunteers ended up in a mental ward as a result. 

Because of that, I suspect there is something genetic that makes 2/3 or 3/4 of us prone to violence against others.  If Milgrim's second try showed different results, I wouldn't say that, but the numbers are there.  It could also be epigenetic changes that make humans behave that way, I suppose, as it's not written stone that a "genetic basis" must only be restricted to the base pairs.

At any rate, you are correct, even just one of Milgrim's bad behavers will ruin any community, so people who plan to live in a community of 100 or so had best be pondering their course of action when they begin to observe the sociopaths or psychopaths in action before their eyes.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »
Socrates,

Your whole post resonated with me, so I couldn't just highlight one quote.

My family had spent the past decade helping to facilitate local non-denominational community hymn sings in this area (absolutely non-proselytizing), which began as friendly down-home interfaith gatherings with pot-luck picnic socials, well-populated with the Plain Folk.  The generic gatherings were a pleasant company of Christians, Jews, Sufi Muslims and others who enjoyed harmonizing together.  Recently, an actress from Hollywood, nearly three thousand miles away from here, arrived on the scene and immediately placed a father and young adult son in one singing family in a triangle with her, causing the boy (a friend of our sons) to drink himself to death.  This young woman, who has only been in PA a short time and resides two counties away from here, now exerts authoritarian control over the entire network of community singings in several counties, via open sexual liaisons.  We have had to get our family away from that scene out of concern for the well-being of our boys, though we still sponsor a scholarship and a website to benefit the singing community, and continue to lend them our dining equipment.
That is a warm story that has a rather sad ending, so it makes one wonder what prompted the Hollywood actress to get involved?  At any rate, you were certainly wise to pull away.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 10:59:28 PM »
Further, a later researcher whose last name begins with "Z" (Zaboda?) was the one who orchestrated his similar-themed research, and the violence and abuse in Mr. Z's research was so horrendous, that he was forced to stop the experiment within a week or less, and one of the volunteers ended up in a mental ward as a result.
Philip Zimbardo was actually a classmate of Stanley Milgram or something. The two of them ended up doing just about (what i believe may well be) the two most illustrative and therefore important psych experiments to date.
And again, with The Stanford Prison Experiment, the researcher himself doesn't seem to have a clue what conclusion to draw from his experiment. Nonetheless, the experiment and it's results are what matter, for it supplies invaluable data for all of us to contemplate.

Sorry, but genetics is (almost quite literally) so 10 years ago. Geneticists today themselves hardly ever refer to genetics anymore the way that has become so popular after generations of worship of genetic theories [sic].
Modern genetics looks to epigenetics and transgenetics, not to the DNA blueprint. And the infant conditioning covered by Alice Miller's research is a good example of epigenetic forces that guide how the blueprint winds up getting expressed. [Again, Dr. Miller's research was based on a lifetime of observations and considerations; not just some 'theory' she pulled out of her hat [like is popular to do in regard to 'genetics'].
survival database

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 05:48:06 PM »
Philip Zimbardo was actually a classmate of Stanley Milgram or something. The two of them ended up doing just about (what i believe may well be) the two most illustrative and therefore important psych experiments to date.
And again, with The Stanford Prison Experiment, the researcher himself doesn't seem to have a clue what conclusion to draw from his experiment. Nonetheless, the experiment and it's results are what matter, for it supplies invaluable data for all of us to contemplate.

Sorry, but genetics is (almost quite literally) so 10 years ago. Geneticists today themselves hardly ever refer to genetics anymore the way that has become so popular after generations of worship of genetic theories [sic].
Modern genetics looks to epigenetics and transgenetics, not to the DNA blueprint. And the infant conditioning covered by Alice Miller's research is a good example of epigenetic forces that guide how the blueprint winds up getting expressed. [Again, Dr. Miller's research was based on a lifetime of observations and considerations; not just some 'theory' she pulled out of her hat [like is popular to do in regard to 'genetics'].
Yes, as I had said earlier:
Because of that, I suspect there is something genetic that makes 2/3 or 3/4 of us prone to violence against others.  If Milgrim's second try showed different results, I wouldn't say that, but the numbers are there.  It could also be epigenetic changes that make humans behave that way, I suppose, as it's not written stone that a "genetic basis" must only be restricted to the base pairs.

So if we want to lump epigenetics under the heading of genetics, that will work, because there can be no epigenetics without genetics.  After all, epigenetics involves those minor-appearing changes such as methylation or hydroxylation to some of the protein components of DNA.  So quibbling over whether it's strictly genetic or epigenetic probably won't mean much until someone actually does some lab analysis.  There are many conditions that are still known to be genetic in origin, and until some gene studies are done on those 66-67% "bad actors", we really don't know.  Remember, genetics is responsible for hemophilia, Sickle cell disease and much more.

Another thing to consider is something we've all discussed before and that is what Michael Tellinger and Zechariah Sitchin have written about--the hybridization experiments that eventually yielded humans; if I understand it, some Annunaki genetics were combined with some genetics of whatever was found here upon their arriva, such as Neanderthal, and whatever else we have not learned of yet, to eventually produce humans.  From what Sitchin says it took many, many tries before "The Adam" made the scene.  But there were many "adams".

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!