Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Food Storage  (Read 11258 times)

Linda

• Prolific Member
Food Storage
« on: July 11, 2010, 04:45:39 PM »
Storing food in Mylar Bags which seems to be the best for any long term storage.

You can purchase mylar products here http://www.bepreparednow.net/

This video shows you how to seal the mylar bags using a simple clothing iron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk9b0dAtJ80&feature=player_embedded#!

Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Linda

• Prolific Member
Re: Food Storage
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
LOL Barb, you posted the same video I did!!

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 02:20:38 PM »
I kept trying to open it myself, but when I would look at the preview it was open, then when I would go back to the site it wasn't, Go figure!

Linda

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:05:28 PM »
Not a tech wizard either :(
Just wish things would work the same way twice, is that too much to ask from a web page?  ;)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 05:08:08 AM »
I kept trying to open it myself, but when I would look at the preview it was open, then when I would go back to the site it wasn't, Go figure!

Linda

Yep happens to me too.

Bill

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 11:25:13 AM »
when storing dry whole grain's is it better to use an o2 absorber or use co2?

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »
Bill, will try to find out...
Yowbarb

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 05:42:20 PM »
Hi Bill

I personally use the oxygen absorber packets, here is a link and information on them.

http://www.layupinstore.net/

and look under the food storage link.

Linda

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »
I am currently dehydrating fruits and vegetables and storing them in mason jars using the oxygen absorbers. I also plan on putting up some in mylar bags for long term storage and then putting them in the 5 gallon buckets.

If you are interested in dehydrating and storing here's a link for valuable videos regarding how to dehydrate and store foods, very informational.

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/media.php

Linda

Bill

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 05:25:51 AM »
thanks , I'll do the o2 absorber

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 10:25:10 AM »
I am currently dehydrating fruits and vegetables and storing them in mason jars using the oxygen absorbers. I also plan on putting up some in mylar bags for long term storage and then putting them in the 5 gallon buckets.

If you are interested in dehydrating and storing here's a link for valuable videos regarding how to dehydrate and store foods, very informational.

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/media.php

Linda

Good info, thanks,
Yowbarb
- this is interesting lots of videos on the site how to dehydrate the foods...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 10:30:44 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 10:31:16 AM »
Also :

Dehydrate2store | January 05, 2009
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION !! please visit my website www.dehydrate2store.com and ask me through the contacts section, I will respond much faster! Also you can find more information and videos not available on YouTube! There are recipes with dehydrated foods, helpful tips and more! We are always adding more info. so keep checking back! - Thanks Everyone ! -

How to dehydrate and store food PART 1

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 03:11:04 PM »
I have been following some of her links on dehydrating and storing food, short term and long term.  I am dehydrating corn and some bananas today, yesterday I did broccoli and zucchini. I am trying to take advantage of the seasonal produce at the local farm markets and what I have i my own garden. :)

Linda

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 12:33:26 AM »
Linda what a great idea it is. and it sure is the right time of year for this too, eh?
In southern California inland, sometimes the trees would be so overladen with ripe fruit you could go in with pick your own bags and get lots for so cheap. My parents used to go get bags of apricots.
Up in Washington state the kids and I worked for a time picking ripe berries off the vines made a few bucks and kids managed to stuff a few in their mouths too... I picked beans and zuccinis too.
People in WA seemed to have a lot of zuccine and a lot of zuccini breads.
One place I had in CA was just loaded with plums oranges, navels and lemons. Neighbor behind me had grapefruits and we would do a trade.
I had a lot of good avocadoes there too.  Would make big holiday baskets with the oranges grapefruits and the ripe (and ripenable) avocadoes. Funny about the avocado tree it was the first one I ever had which bore fruit. When I moved there it was springtime and I didn't know if it would bear fruit. My instinct was to go out and water the trees directly as well as put some down in the bottom. I would talk to the trees some, too. One old guy came over to me and said, " You don't need to water the trees so much." Then when he saw my bumper crop of avocadoes he said, "That's funny I didn't know that tree gave so many avocadoes."
It was fabulous. That cold wind would blow in November and a few would start dropping. I would gather them. Early december I had a great bushel baskets of them of them for the holidays.

No garden here yet some wild watermelons in a patch out front. Well I need to try to do what you are doing too. It's hard for me to garden much - but as a group effort I think it could work...
I really like the idea of dehydrating it seems like it would be a lot easier than canning. 
I just had a thought the dried foods are more light and portable if you were hauling a great stash of stuff it would help to have some lightweight things. - Yowbarb
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:42:02 AM by Yowbarb »

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 10:21:16 AM »
Barb, you can stuff tons of bags of dehydrated foods into one of those 5 gallon buckets and seal up for long term storage, and it's so lightweight. I have ordered my oxygen packets, and I will put them in my jars for short term storage and in the sealed bags and into mylar for longer storage. I have stored a lot of beans and rice in the canning jars because they keep bugs out. But now that I have a sealer ( bought a food saver yesterday, and lucked out, it was on clearance) and I am getting mylar bags, I may transfer some of it to long term storage.

This seemed so daunting when I first started but, it's really the learning curve you have to conquer, then it becomes much easier. Keeping a inventory is important as well. No wonder people worked from sun up to sun down years ago, it just takes a lot of time to get it together.

My corn turned out great and was actually easier than I thought. It only took 1 hour to get it husked and into the dehydrator and that was 7 trays of corn or 2 huge bags. I dried it over night and bagged it in the morning.

I would have loved having an avocado tree, they are one of my favorites.

Linda

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!